Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gaming Blend - Companies Supported Piracy When It Was Shareware.
Is it possible that bringing back shareware could potentially help curb the amount of piracy happening in both the PC and console arena? Possibly. For the most part shareware represented an age where consumers were in control. Publishers aimed to please. Marketing was about positive word of mouth, not how many trailers, posters and celebrity actors you could get to help promote your game. As a publisher, shareware could make or break you based on the quality of the product. As a gamer, shareware gave you a lot for a little (or nothing at all). As an industry, shareware helped shape the golden age of gaming.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2012, 09:14 Verno

I see F2P as the modern iteration of shareware, it shares a lot of the same characteristics but its adapted for modern technology.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2012, 07:04 InBlack

Shareware will never make a comeback. Never, ever and for the same 'real' reason why piracy is such a problem to big name publishers.

Its a matter of show and tell. They dont want to show, a shitty game, and they dont want you to tell your friends about said shitty AAA title that costs upwards of 60$ or more.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2012, 03:59 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 02:21:
While your extended family may fit into those categories, I imagine that the vast majority of modern gamers do not. Anyone with even a modicum of technical knowledge knows how to start up a torrent, download the files, then follow the included instructions and overwrite the necessary files with the cracked files. And the last part is only necessary if the download isn't pre-cracked, which a lot of torrents are.
Heck, even my slightly technophobic barber told me, he was able to order a modchip and download ROMs for his Nintendo DS after a some simple Google research. And if someone actually dont know, at least he knows someone who does.

22. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2012, 02:21 Jerykk

For example, my extended family used to frequently copy and share software in the days before DRM was implemented.

How long ago was this? Because DRM schemes have existed for a long time. Back in the day, some games would require to find specific words in specific lines in specific pages of the manual. Or you'd be forced to use a physical codewheel to get a password.

Even the most rudimentary DRM offers some hindarance to casual piracy, which I believe represents the majority of the gaming marketplace.

The only people who would be hindered by rudimentary DRM are those that:

1) Don't know how to download files.
2) Don't know how to copy and paste files.

While your extended family may fit into those categories, I imagine that the vast majority of modern gamers do not. Anyone with even a modicum of technical knowledge knows how to start up a torrent, download the files, then follow the included instructions and overwrite the necessary files with the cracked files. And the last part is only necessary if the download isn't pre-cracked, which a lot of torrents are.

21. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 20:20 Prez

Haha... what's old is new again. Really, this sound like an attempt at re-branding the "paid demo" concept kicked around by EA not too long ago.

The actual days of shareware, like the horse and buggy, are long gone, never to return, though good for nostalgia.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 19:48 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 13:52:
Remember going to "Computer Shows" and buying a whole bunch of shareware disks?
Inevitably 20% of them were blank or didn't run and at least 1 had a virus.

Then came CDs and you could buy a CD with 100 shareware/demos on it, most of which were crap, half of which wouldn't run and at least one of which was a virus.

I have quite a few of these, when relatives are buying gifts for a 90's PC gamer they can't resist "1000 GAMES!".

What a deal!

19. Re: OT Feb 6, 2012, 18:48 Techie714 ©

The Hawken Beta is reserving slots & call signs.

https://playhawken.com/?ref=529dz7b2

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

18. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 18:44 [VG]Reagle

Can I pirate the shareware? Becuase if I can I am all in.  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

17. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 16:50 Silicon Avatar

Shareware is still around. It's just called indie now. Instead of passing software around a BBS you pass URLs around and people download demos directly.

Shareware isn't piracy and never was. There did exist plenty of pirated shareware though. People would post full versions and cracked/registered keys just like the do now.

Article is pointless or misinformed - can't decide which..

16. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 16:09 Ruffiana

PHJF wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:58:
DRM, as insidious as it is, creates some roadblocks to that, forces people who pirate to put in some effort.

It forces The Scene to put in effort, not the end-user.

I disagree. There is a minimal amount of effort that's involved in finding, downloading, and using pirated software. A lot of people are just not technically savy enough to do this.

For example, my extended family used to frequently copy and share software in the days before DRM was implemented. Today, they don't. Further, none of them have ever modified their console hardware or modified their handheld game devices to let them utilize pirated software for those systems.

Even the most rudimentary DRM offers some hindarance to casual piracy, which I believe represents the majority of the gaming marketplace.

15. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 15:04 space captain

PHJF wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:58:
DRM, as insidious as it is, creates some roadblocks to that, forces people who pirate to put in some effort.

The Scene lives for the effort, they dont need to be forced

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 14:58 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 14:46 jdreyer

As the old saying goes, "You can't go home again." The shareware model was a product of its time: A nascent PC game industry struggling to exist and needing exposure. There was very little media and awareness. Now that industry is a multibillion dollar industry with billion dollar titles and mainstream media coverage. What worked back then won't work in today's marketplace.

I think the biggest issue with piracy is not the potential lost revenue, but creating a culture of getting it for free. Imagine a world where no games had DRM. The more people pirate, and the more people you know who pirate, the more likely you'll ask yourself, "Why am I paying for this when everyone else is getting it for free?" Hardcore principled folks will still pay, but for many of the fence, the temptation becomes great. DRM, as insidious as it is, creates some roadblocks to that, forces people who pirate to put in some effort. I despise DRM, but I can't blame publishers too much for trying to protect their sales.

There are other things publishers can do to combat piracy than DRM, and I hope they consider these options: a single worldwide release date, a reasonable price, free DLC and support for paying customers, etc.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 14:07 WyldKat

Shareware was never piracy, shareware was demo software. I don't really get the point of this article.  

11. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 14:05 PHJF

Shareware only existed because the internet wasn't yet ubiquitous. Passing shareware around was how a game got exposure.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 14:05 Ruffiana

This article is pure rose-tinted nostalgia for a by-gone era of gaming.

Shareware games didn't require multi-million dollar investments to get the game onto a disc and out to a customer. We still have shareware. Only now it's a combination of Indy development + DRM-free policies + piracy. And it still only works for a handful of titles.

Mainstream development is heading down the path of free-to-play because 1) it works and 2) it practically eliminates piracy and used game trade.

9. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 13:54 Cutter

Most of the shareware games were also only a few megs big anyway. Now you have demos that are several gigs in size. Again, it's no big secret. Make a good game, make a good demo and people will buy it. It's not rocket surgery.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 13:52 Beamer

space captain wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 13:25:
i was around when you could only get shareware on floppies from dodgy mail-order places.. back before this internet stuff

it wasnt a "golden age" for shareware.. all the quality titles were retail, and yeh people copied the shit out of some floppies..

so basically, deal with it

Remember going to "Computer Shows" and buying a whole bunch of shareware disks?
Inevitably 20% of them were blank or didn't run and at least 1 had a virus.

Then came CDs and you could buy a CD with 100 shareware/demos on it, most of which were crap, half of which wouldn't run and at least one of which was a virus.

But you'd find occasional jewels, like Slicks'n'Slide, the only game I ever mailed away for.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 13:41 nin

Alamar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 11:46:
Nighthawk wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 11:07:
I wish I still had my old Quake 1 shareware CD...

So you could ebay it for the big bucks? : )

-Alamar

Soundtrack!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 13:25 space captain

i was around when you could only get shareware on floppies from dodgy mail-order places.. back before this internet stuff

it wasnt a "golden age" for shareware.. all the quality titles were retail, and yeh people copied the shit out of some floppies..

so basically, deal with it

Go forth, and kill!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo