Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2012, 20:08 Sepharo

meh. This is about as social as I want to be. I have 250+ "friends" on Steam, and I play with a few different groups of groups, clans, communities, etc. If I am interested in something, I go read about it and move on - I don't need daily updates.

It's not about updates on anyone or anything in particular, it's about sharing interesting things, whether they're created by the sharer or found on the internet.

I see even less use for G+ than Twitter.

It's Twitter with actual substance.

Pretty much what I use FB for - as a new ticker for interests and sharing links with friends.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that G+ doesn't need to be personal at all. My actual friends and coworkers do find neat stuff but they're dwarfed by people who essentially make a living doing it (like Blue). It's just presently my favorite way to get a ton of interesting things to read along with the perspectives of the sharers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2012, 09:55 nin

Sepharo wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 01:12:
Get G+.

Don't post anything personal. Circle tons of interesting people who share interesting articles, videos, and pictures. Reshare them if you like them. Have conversations in the comments that tend to be far more substantial than your ordinary youtube/facebook banter. Use the circles to categorize the streams and maintain priority in the combined stream.
It's a neverending stream of things very relevant to my interests and hand selected and discussed by people I'm interested in hearing from.

Pretty much what I use FB for - as a new ticker for interests and sharing links with friends. I post under an alias and provided no identifiable info, so I'm not worried about much.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2012, 07:39 Beamer

I see even less use for G+ than Twitter.

Twitter is useful when you want to get in touch with customer service of some company. No one answers phones, no one answers emails, but Twitter gets immediate personal responses. A company do something really bad or really good? Twitter is the only way to get a response about it.

But for personal use? I don't get it.

Facebook is useful for keeping in touch with those friends that live all across the world. About 1% of the people I'm friends with live in my city. Probably less than that. Facebook is a whole lot easier than an occasional phonecall. Plus it's easy to say "I'm going to be in San Francisco for GDC" and have 15 people respond "when are we meeting for dinner?" or "you're staying at my place, right?" than to ask either of those questions individually. For instance, I just found out a friend is in my town on a consulting project this week thanks to a similar post. We're getting food tomorrow.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2012, 03:02 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 01:12:
Get G+.

Don't post anything personal. Circle tons of interesting people who share interesting articles, videos, and pictures. Reshare them if you like them. Have conversations in the comments that tend to be far more substantial than your ordinary youtube/facebook banter. Use the circles to categorize the streams and maintain priority in the combined stream.
It's a neverending stream of things very relevant to my interests and hand selected and discussed by people I'm interested in hearing from.

meh. This is about as social as I want to be. I have 250+ "friends" on Steam, and I play with a few different groups of groups, clans, communities, etc. If I am interested in something, I go read about it and move on - I don't need daily updates.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2012, 01:12 Sepharo

Get G+.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2012, 22:08 xXBatmanXx

Shok wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 17:30:
I still don't have a facebook or twitter. The only conceivable reason I can think of having one is if I wanted to promote software or some other business. I still wouldn't use my real name though.

I still see no reason to have FB, Twitter, MySpace, etc etc etc. Nothing people have to say is important enough to post on the web, and I dont have anything important enough to post on the web.

You want your personal life out there for everyone to see....just be ready for the consequences. Including but not limited to your house being burgled, theft from veh or person, not ogetting a job bc of what you posted, and anything you post that is illegal that lands you into trouble.

People are dumb, and they think they need to show everyeone how dumb they are.

I like my privacy.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2012, 17:30 Shok

I still don't have a facebook or twitter. The only conceivable reason I can think of having one is if I wanted to promote software or some other business. I still wouldn't use my real name though.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2012, 16:53 Silicon Avatar

Facebook is almost completely the new Myspace.

What's the next good one?

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2012, 14:15 jdreyer

Meh, I drink beer more often than I post on FB (which is maybe once a month). If the frequencies were reversed, I'd be a lot skinnier.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo