Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Clean-up crews are still digging up the confetti here in the BlueTower following our celebration of Super Bowl Sunday. The tendency to view the past as prologue can often be deceptive, but the parallels to the Giants' 2007/2008 playoff run continued through the final game to a startling degree, down to the key 30+ yard circus catch and the winning score coming with less than one minute left. Just crazy. Congrats to the Pats who continue to live up to their incredible standard of excellence, and of course, congrats to the G-men for another startling run of winning football right when it mattered the most.

Winning Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Crash the Robot - Explosive Edition.
Dead Zed.
Stories: 'Oldest marathon runner' competes in Hong Kong.
Science: A quantum connection between light and motion.
Selfless acts by men increase when attractive women are nearby. Thanks Neatorama.
Volcanoes, rather than a quiet Sun, may have triggered the Little Ice Age.
Ripleyyyyyyyyyyy!
My PS3, Not Yours.
Media: Raiding The Lost Ark: A Filmumentary By Jamie Benning.
Super Bowl Ads on Hulu.
Collapsing floor by filling room with water.
The Funnies: ActionTrip Comic Strip: Go Back To Then.
Follow-up: In Honor of ADís Punniest Person.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 22:11 xXBatmanXx

Anyone else having issues with how the site "looks" ie font size for different parts of the page?

disregard....some user error and settings were off...

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2012, 23:25.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 21:51 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 20:50:
Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:02:
It's the strength of the overall team that carries him, not the other way around.

He turned a makeshift 0-line, no running game, two untested wide receivers and a rookie tight end into one of the league's elite offenses. And that offense of his took a sub-par defense to the world championship.

Your analysis is the opposite of the reality. He carried that team all season, and he has two rings because he's played his best when it counted most in two different Super Bowls.

Werd. That throw in the end zone needles it between 2 defenders. That is SB material and SB champ right there.

Brady didn't even show up.

The real story is how the Pats just expect to win and once again lost. I love it.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 21:46 xXBatmanXx

Jim wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 12:19:

Is it baseball season yet?

**BARF**

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 21:09 sauron

Seconding Blue's post. Watching preseason and early season Giants games here in NYC, they were pretty bad. I mean, really quite awful at times. Somehow they managed to pull a team together out of that morass, and I don't think anybody knows quite how. Part of it was Eli, part of it was Coughlin, and part of it was those evil veteran muthas on the defensive line.

Honestly, going into the season I think most everyone here thought the Jets had a shot, not the G-Men. Boy were we wrong. But I'm glad it turned out the way it did. :-)

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 20:50  Blue 

It's the strength of the overall team that carries him, not the other way around.

He turned a makeshift 0-line, no running game, two untested wide receivers and a rookie tight end into one of the league's elite offenses. And that offense of his took a sub-par defense to the world championship.

Your analysis is the opposite of the reality. He carried that team all season, and he has two rings because he's played his best when it counted most in two different Super Bowls.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:25 Nomaar

killer_roach wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:19:
Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:05:
I stand corrected on the rating, but what was capable about their rushing game? It ranked dead last in the NFL. Manning raised his game to another level this year and kept them afloat while the running game and the defense floundered.

It ranked last mostly because they didn't run very often. When you're running primarily to pick up short-yardage first downs, few yards and a low average is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

They only ran in short yardage situations because Jacobs and Bradshaw sucked most of the year. Even in those short yardage situations in which they ran, they failed miserably most of the time.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:21 Nomaar

And I fully agree. It's the strength of the overall team that carries him, not the other way around.

The "overall" team played like crap most of the season, particularly the defense and the running backs, who were brutally bad before turning it heading into the playoffs. They won nine games, and six of them were fourth-quarter comebacks directed by Manning. You have it reversed -- the team would have been dead in the water without him this year.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:19 killer_roach

Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:05:
I stand corrected on the rating, but what was capable about their rushing game? It ranked dead last in the NFL. Manning raised his game to another level this year and kept them afloat while the running game and the defense floundered.

It ranked last mostly because they didn't run very often. When you're running primarily to pick up short-yardage first downs, few yards and a low average is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:16 space captain

you are looking at now-now ... everything that happens now is happening now  
Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:05 Nomaar

killer_roach wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:52:
Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:35:
Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 13:52:
The reason Eli will continue to get static is his lack of consistency. When he's on he's good, no one can deny that. It's just that he can only seem to do it half the time. Hence, the reason I still say the Giants are more lucky than good. I'd say Bradshaw has been the Giants real hero this season. The guy has made some phenomenal plays! Anyway, they definitely won it yesterday. Gratz.

Not this year's Manning. He had the second best rating in the league behind Rogers and set some kind of record for fourth-quarter touchdowns. He did this despite the fact that the team's running backs were basically MIA the first three quarters of the season. The guy was flawless this year and he was the reason they squeaked into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. And this is a Jets fan talking, btw.

Second-best rating in the fourth quarter.

Overall, he was seventh, behind Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Romo, Stafford, and Schaub.

And that's with an excellent offensive line, a capable running game, and a very good receiving corps.

I get the feeling Eli is a lot like Donovan McNabb (he does well due to the system around him), but, unlike McNabb, he can perform when he has to.

That's why he's got two rings.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:02 Cutter

killer_roach wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:52:

Overall, he was seventh, behind Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Romo, Stafford, and Schaub.

And that's with an excellent offensive line, a capable running game, and a very good receiving corps.

I get the feeling Eli is a lot like Donovan McNabb (he does well due to the system around him), but, unlike McNabb, he can perform when he has to.

Thanks for saving me from pointing that out. And I fully agree. It's the strength of the overall team that carries him, not the other way around. Yet, you cannot tell me that the Giants are a better team than the Pack, Pats, Saints, and Steelers as the last several years have consistently shown. However, at the end of the day all that counts is the win no matter how its won and the Giants do seem to have that knack of pulling it out by the skin of their teeth. So yeah, I still don't think Eli is in the same class of QBs as the aforementioned teams as well as his big bro. That's not a knock on the Giants, just him as a QB.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 14:52 killer_roach

Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:35:
The reason Eli will continue to get static is his lack of consistency. When he's on he's good, no one can deny that. It's just that he can only seem to do it half the time. Hence, the reason I still say the Giants are more lucky than good. I'd say Bradshaw has been the Giants real hero this season. The guy has made some phenomenal plays! Anyway, they definitely won it yesterday. Gratz.

Not this year's Manning. He had the second best rating in the league behind Rogers and set some kind of record for fourth-quarter touchdowns. He did this despite the fact that the team's running backs were basically MIA the first three quarters of the season. The guy was flawless this year and he was the reason they squeaked into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. And this is a Jets fan talking, btw.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 14:42 Beamer

Also, Hawken is now taking closed beta "applications".

I put applications in quotes because apparently the only qualifier is signing up 3 more people.
Which means I put in the link with my own reference number. I understand that's a bit jerky, which is why I'm being very transparent.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 14:35 Nomaar

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 14:21 DNForever

Jim wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 12:19:

I'll second that. I love baseball and its irreducible pleasures. Just a few more months.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 13:52 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 13:01 Beamer

Fazor wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 12:43:
I'm glad I was only a temporary Giants fan (As in, I didn't want the Pats to win.) Eli has a knack for giving me a heart-attack with some of his throws, but he sure was threading the needle last night.

Standard Eli - throw it into triple coverage, expect miracles to happen.

But they do happen. Hell, Manningham dropped one ridiculous throw and stepped out on another yet still pulled off a huge thread.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 12:54 Fion

The Giants are notorious for kicking it into overdrive the last minute or two of a game. Anyone who thought it was all wrapped up last night with a minute left (especially Patriots fans) should have known better.

WOOT GIANTS!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 12:43 Fazor

I'm glad I was only a temporary Giants fan (As in, I didn't want the Pats to win.) Eli has a knack for giving me a heart-attack with some of his throws, but he sure was threading the needle last night.

Now back to being a Browns fan -- where our expectations are so low they can't possibly fail to live up to them. And then, they do.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 12:19 Jim

Yup, the Patriots seem to think that waiting for the opponent to make a critical mistake at the right moment is a winning strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Jim

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo