Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the 10 bestselling games on their Steam service for the week:

1. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare3
  5. Duke Nukem Forever
  6. Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn of War II Complete Pack
  7. Warhammer 40,000 : Dawn of War II Retribution
  8. Jagged Alliance: Back in Action
  9. Anno 2070
  10. Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 7, 2012, 09:28 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 23:53:
So hard to stay away from buying Skyrim. Guess I will be one of 2 people in the world to buy the GoTY edition....just so afraid of another time sink game....

If ever there was a timesink game to get, this would be it man. Given the sheer amount of average stuff I see people buy on here in a year I'm always surprised when they hoard their time/money for the true classics.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 7, 2012, 09:00 ^Drag0n^

Skyrim had 10M sell-through on all SKUs, as of mid-December, per Zenimax:

Eurogamer: Zenimax on Skyrim Sales 12/16/2011

Given that was before the final Christmas rush, I wouldn't be surprised to see that figure close to double by now.

(I believe I remember this story being linked on Blue's when it broke...)

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 23:53 xXBatmanXx

So hard to stay away from buying Skyrim. Guess I will be one of 2 people in the world to buy the GoTY edition....just so afraid of another time sink game....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 23:46 xXBatmanXx

Scud wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 16:16:
Yeah, Space Marine was a steal at sixteen bucks, too good to pass up.

Was 12 at GreenMan...posted that a few times...

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 19:40 J

I've played the Jagged Alliance demo and tried to like it but I can't. The enemy spots me through obstacles; I keep finding myself in places where they can shoot at me and I cannot shoot back even when I stand; throwing grenades indoors is rubbish; I even tried firing a grenade through the window in an attempt to counter the insane ambush when capturing the second point... and he just stood there being shot at, not firing.

I kept trying to like it, but if the demo is anything to go by I'll be giving it a miss.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 12:26 Jerykk

I think I remember reading that Skyrim has the accolade of the biggest selling title on Steam, ever... And I think that includes all Valve games too... Which is a smidgen more impressive.. To beat Half Life 2 in sales...

I seriously doubt that Skyrim PC has sold 12 million copies. Keep in mind that they're talking specifically about sales made through Steam. HL2 sold primarily through retail, as Steam (and digital distribution in general) wasn't even remotely as popular back then as it is now.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 10:26 CythrawL

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 01:40:
Skyrim is STILL selling gobs of copies, even with a hugely-discounted game in the running. I'd say that's pretty impressive, rather than the opposite.

I think I remember reading that Skyrim has the accolade of the biggest selling title on Steam, ever... And I think that includes all Valve games too... Which is a smidgen more impressive.. To beat Half Life 2 in sales...

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 07:28 Kajetan

Dades wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 16:52:
That's pretty much how I feel about Warhammer these days in general. They just seem to keep making so many various genre entries with the license that are totally average and uninteresting.
So many games and mostly you play some boring Space Marine.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 06:40 shihonage

I got W:SM for $20 and that was 4 times more than it's worth. The game is a collection of square boxes connected with corridors. Every enemy yells shit that ends with the words "space marine". Everything about it is horrible, except framerate.  

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 03:45 Krovven

Prez wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 02:03:
I REALLY liked Space Marine. One of the best 3rd Person action games I've played in a long time. Unlike others, I never got bored with the visceral and satisfying carnage.

I got it for $12 from GMG around New Years. I haven't finished it yet, but I did get kinda bored rather quickly. The environments are horrible. The vistas are above average. The voice acting and combat are the only things really holding the game together for me.

For $12 I got a good deal. If I had paid $50, I'd have wasted money. $20 for Saints Row 3 from GMG has been one of my best purchases lately.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 03:19 Alamar

Bhruic wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 03:08:
Skyrim is STILL selling gobs of copies, even with a hugely-discounted game in the running. I'd say that's pretty impressive, rather than the opposite.

I've been told that the top 10 is based on sales dollars rather than sales numbers. If true, then it's a bit less impressive, as W:SM would have to sell a LOT more copies to make up for the sale price difference.

Which, oddly enough, is why they have sales ; )

-Alamar

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 03:08 Bhruic

I've been told that the top 10 is based on sales dollars rather than sales numbers. If true, then it's a bit less impressive, as W:SM would have to sell a LOT more copies to make up for the sale price difference.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 02:03 Prez

I REALLY liked Space Marine. One of the best 3rd Person action games I've played in a long time. Unlike others, I never got bored with the visceral and satisfying carnage.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 6, 2012, 01:40 ForgedReality

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 23:23 Scud

Well if it turns out to be shit then I'll be glad I only paid 16 dollars for it as opposed to 60. I may not get to it right away as I just started Arkham City and I have also been playing some Lego Star Wars again.  

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 23:04 Teddy

Lorcin wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 19:04:
I appear to have wondered into a parallel universe - one where Space Marine tops any kind of sales chart. I shall call it the facepalm universe and hope to get home soon.

66% off is a powerful motivator. Put just about any title with a decent name to it at that discount and it'll be number one for that week. It'll disappear just as quickly next week when there isn't a sale on it.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 22:12 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 21:22:
I wasn't impressed by the KOAR demo. Everything seemed very generic, from the setting to the characters to the quests and lore. Also, guards are psychic and don't have to see you commit a crime to know you did. Finally, even after successfully picking the lock on a chest, you still have to deal with chance-to-loot, which is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Basically, each item within the container has its own chance-to-loot and if you get a bad roll, you get accused of stealing (regardless of whether or not there are any witnesses) and the psychic guards come after you.

Wow. That genuinely is the shittiest game design ever...

/scratches KOAR off list.

Creston

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 22:03 eunichron

Space Marine was a steal when I got it for free as a gift. Some good mindless action, I still don't know if I'd pay $16 for it though.

Did they ever end up releasing the free co-op DLC? Might have to reboot it if they did.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 21:45 Dades

The KOAR port itself is decent but the game is generic RPG shit. It's like playing singleplayer Rift with a shittier story. It's too bad that they will likely blame their sales failures on piracy instead of the fact that they spend hundreds of millions of dollars making a barely above average RPG.  

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 21:22 Jerykk

I wasn't impressed by the KOAR demo. Everything seemed very generic, from the setting to the characters to the quests and lore. Also, guards are psychic and don't have to see you commit a crime to know you did. Finally, even after successfully picking the lock on a chest, you still have to deal with chance-to-loot, which is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Basically, each item within the container has its own chance-to-loot and if you get a bad roll, you get accused of stealing (regardless of whether or not there are any witnesses) and the psychic guards come after you.  

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo