Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Take-Two Financials

Take-Two Interactive Third Quarter Fiscal 2012 Financial Results are online. Whip out your calculator, here are some numbers to crunch: "For the nine-month period ended December 31, 2011, net revenue was $677.7 million, as compared to $954.6 million for the year-ago period. GAAP loss from continuing operations was $41.7 million, or $0.50 per diluted share, as compared to GAAP income from continuing operations of $76.2 million, or $0.88 per diluted share, for the year-ago period. Non-GAAP net loss was $8.4 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, as compared to Non-GAAP net income of $108.8 million, or $1.15 per diluted share, for the year-ago period."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 4, 2012, 02:18 netnerd85

killer_roach wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 19:14:
All depends on the size, scale, and scope of the game you're doing. You don't see indies trying to make AAA titles for the most part - mostly because, on balance, they can't. For the foreseeable future, you'll need a publisher once your budgets exceed a certain level, and for many indies that level is astonishingly low (possibly anything over mid-five-figures is going to test the average indie dev's resolve to do on their own). It's not to say they can't make good games - just like in film or music, there's a lot of quality in the indie gaming scene - but their capacity for production value is, for the most part, considerably lower than it is for other forms of media.
Of course it all depends. But look at the quality of Hard Reset compared to the quality of other FPS games. It far surpases most AAA FPS games out in recent years. Mainly because they (AAA dev/pubs) focus on outdated technology.

You work your way up as well. Have a few indie hits and you can aim higher.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 19:20 ASeven

killer_roach wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 19:14:
All depends on the size, scale, and scope of the game you're doing. You don't see indies trying to make AAA titles for the most part - mostly because, on balance, they can't. For the foreseeable future, you'll need a publisher once your budgets exceed a certain level, and for many indies that level is astonishingly low (possibly anything over mid-five-figures is going to test the average indie dev's resolve to do on their own). It's not to say they can't make good games - just like in film or music, there's a lot of quality in the indie gaming scene - but their capacity for production value is, for the most part, considerably lower than it is for other forms of media.

Another interesting side note...
THQ's GAAP loss: $0.50 a share.
THQ's current share price: $0.53.
They lost almost the entire value of their company, and in the last quarter alone, no less.

Obviously, the financial aspect of going indie has always been it's great downside. However we've been seeing more and more indies showing up that have a more sturdy financial aspect. If the trend goes on hopefully one day we'll see indies with enough financial strength to do games with great production values.

As for THQ, yeah, they lost all their value in the last quarter. Today 30% plunge is perhaps the swansong for them, I don't believe they are able to recover from this past quarter. Metro 2034 has been postponed to 2013, not a good sign at all. Unfortunately, unless they change their administration right now and get competent people there, in a couple of months I can see THQ disassembled and their IPs put on sale, they are bleeding too much money too quickly and nobody is showing any sign of stopping it. This is the end for them, I fear.

13. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 19:14 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 18:37:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 16:51:
ASeven wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 13:40:
And indie are quickly reaching AAA production standards, like Renegade X.
Think you will find the reason for that is a lot of "indie" developers are previous employees of BIG named companies. So they aren't your teenage/young pup developers, they are seasoned professionals turned "freelance" in a sense...

Wave goodbye to the publishers, they are no longer needed.

Which is what I've always said, devs are finding out that going indie is far better than being tied to a publisher. Hell, Notch refused to be hired by EA and that's a prime example of indie's attitudes today, they do not want to work in one of the most brutal work environments on present day.

Developers are slowly finding out that it's far more profitable, in work environment terms, in family terms, in available time terms and in financial terms if they make it good, to ditch the middle man that are publishers and go for it by themselves. And that's a bloody good thing.

Another interesting side note...
THQ's GAAP loss: $0.50 a share.
THQ's current share price: $0.53.
They lost almost the entire value of their company, and in the last quarter alone, no less.

12. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 18:43 ASeven

A small headsup in the THQ case. Their stocks lost 30% today. I believe they're now in an irreversible downward spiral.  

11. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 18:37 ASeven

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 16:51:
Think you will find the reason for that is a lot of "indie" developers are previous employees of BIG named companies. So they aren't your teenage/young pup developers, they are seasoned professionals turned "freelance" in a sense...

Which is what I've always said, devs are finding out that going indie is far better than being tied to a publisher. Hell, Notch refused to be hired by EA and that's a prime example of indie's attitudes today, they do not want to work in one of the most brutal work environments on present day.

Developers are slowly finding out that it's far more profitable, in work environment terms, in family terms, in available time terms and in financial terms if they make it good, to ditch the middle man that are publishers and go for it by themselves. And that's a bloody good thing.

10. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 17:30 Cutter

If they had ported RDR those numbers would be much higher.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 16:51 netnerd85

8. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 13:40 ASeven

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 13:39:
ASeven wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 12:48:
Food for thought:

Every publisher, with the possible exception of Activision, had tremendous losses. This quarter was from September to December 31 2011, the months where all those huge releases came out.

Only the indies are making money! That's a good thing.

For every successful indie, 100 fail, but due to their self-contained nature of the devs if an indie fail it won't affect that much other indies. And indie are quickly reaching AAA production standards, like Renegade X.

7. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 13:39 HorrorScope

ASeven wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 12:48:
Food for thought:

Every publisher, with the possible exception of Activision, had tremendous losses. This quarter was from September to December 31 2011, the months where all those huge releases came out.

Only the indies are making money! That's a good thing.

6. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 13:38 HorrorScope

I know we knock EA and most time rightfully so. Face it EA supports the PC a ton better then Take 2 in terms of releases and quality of those releases on the PC, aka the port quality. EA the PC is nearly the same size as the 360 or PS3 at Take 2, the PC is just 9% vs 38% for each console. I think they should see from others like EA the PC is way more viable then the effort Take 2 puts out.

I also and starting to get a funny feeling about 360 vs PS3 numbers... is if they have to show them being competitively close. That could just be my paranoia on that one.

5. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 12:48 ASeven

Food for thought:

4. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 12:26 MajorD

Regardless, I'm sure the Upper Management will continue to get their six figure bonuses each year, along with their six figure salaries, and golden parachute to boot, all while the company continues to lose money. This all will lead them into financial trouble forcing them to cook the books for too long, then inevitably filing chapter 11, and then all us taxes payers will pay for it.

Im so sorry, am I being too cynical?

3. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 11:54 Beamer

Prez wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 11:42:
Calculator? I would rather a corporate-speak-to-layman-terms translator myself. Why can't they just say if their making money or losing money?

I'd think the term "loss" used next to both "GAAP" and "non-GAAP" would be enough for most people, corporate or layman.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 11:42 Prez

Calculator? I would rather a corporate-speak-to-layman-terms translator myself. Why can't they just say if their making money or losing money?  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Take-Two Financials Feb 3, 2012, 11:19 Wildone

Damn pirates! time to lock down the net!  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo