Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched

Today marks the release of RAGE for OS X, as RAGE: Campaign Edition is now available via digital distribution from the Mac App Store, Application Systems London, and GameAgent. Also, though the OS X edition does not seem to be offered on Steam, there is a new automatic patch for the Windows edition on Steam, among other things, adding a new texture detail option. Here's word on that:

Texture Detail: Enabling Texture Detail will improve up-close texture quality by performing upsampling with adaptive sharpening. This does not update or increase the resolution of the base textures included with the game but improves the perceived resolution and crispness of textures. This is an intensive operation and is only recommended if you have a quad-core CPU or higher. Please disable this feature if you encounter poor performance, stability issues or are given a notification that the game has run out of memory after loading a map. The Texture Detail option can be found in the Settings -> Video Menu.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: iDs time is over.... Feb 4, 2012, 12:23 Matshock

Shataan wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 20:36:
as far as being able to make a half assed decent game. DOOM III for the most part is prolly their last good game. RAGE is a halfbaked Tech demo. A nice bendover they give their supporters. Thx iD.

Now that I've actually played Rage on PC- (picked it up for $20.00) after it was patched twice it's not so bad.

It plays better than Doom III- the action is much faster. I can understand people not being impressed with the gameplay in the context of games like BF3.

Tech 5 is impressive in the sense that it loads fast and plays fast all the time. In fact it's much, much faster than Unreal's engine. With the latest PC patch if you've got a high end machine you can pump up the texture resolution to full on all the time too. The character animations are are also notably fluid and varied.

I hope Tech 5 catches on, it has a great a deal of potential. I can also see why ID is getting out of the game development business.

No hate for ID- I hope they can license Tech 5 and place out their game people to the folks that use it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. iDs time is over.... Feb 3, 2012, 20:36 Shataan

as far as being able to make a half assed decent game. DOOM III for the most part is prolly their last good game. RAGE is a halfbaked Tech demo. A nice bendover they give their supporters. Thx iD.  

34. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 19:02 Ray Marden

This patch - just like id - is a joke.

You still have the crappy low-resolution textues slopped on a low-polygon world, but now with increased noise and wildly erratic framerates.

I would almost argue that it makes things look worse - far away things look unnaturally sharp and the image noise while moving is distracting. And it's all moot anyway since I am still seeing low resolution textures being applied to really low resolutions items around the edge of the screen in realtime.

Toss in the confined areas, disconnected racing component, the recycling of levels, quirky menu system, underutilized world hub, weak weapons, stupid crafting system, broken economy, crude architecture, and abrupt ending - this was easily the biggest disappointment of 2011.
It is no Skyrim.
Wondering if a better developer can give me a sequel to Quake or a real Doom,
Ray

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2012, 19:13.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

33. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 17:31 theyarecomingforyou

The textures still look absolutely appalling and performance took a hit as an added bonus. It is hard to understand why people are still defending the game, especially the MegaTexture technology which has been a disaster.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

32. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 16:56 netnerd85

Now that the game is patched, the mod tools will get the focus, can't wait to create some quests for RAGE  

31. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 14:40 necrosis

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 11:32:
Sho wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 10:07:
I remember Carmack laughing at Epic's Unreal engine and their game. Who's laughing now?

Source? I don't think I've ever seen Carmack disrespect a fellow developer, and he's always spoken about Sweeney with respect in particular.

You obviously weren't around in the late 90's, then. Their usenet and .plan shit-talking was the stuff of legend.
This. Most of them I read right here on Blues News... holy crap the link is still there! http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/summary.pl

30. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 11:32 Beelzebud

Sho wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 10:07:
I remember Carmack laughing at Epic's Unreal engine and their game. Who's laughing now?

Source? I don't think I've ever seen Carmack disrespect a fellow developer, and he's always spoken about Sweeney with respect in particular.

You obviously weren't around in the late 90's, then. Their usenet and .plan shit-talking was the stuff of legend.

29. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 10:29 ASeven

Wonder how PC gamers will react to the Rage debacle on next Quakecon? It should be interesting to see their reactions there.  

28. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 10:07 Sho

27. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 09:47 ash_22

Quad-core ? It's impressive how id is falling down from the top. Years of waiting ended with a big crash. I remember Carmack laughing at Epic's Unreal engine and their game. Who's laughing now?

It's sad but still I play Doom via skulltag. With custom made mods and wads it's stille masterpiece of perfect gameplay. Don't have any expectations for new one, considering how the 3rd one was neither the horror, or action fps.

26. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 09:00 WaltC

Fion wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 22:52:

As to 'megatexture' hype. The tech could be used to produce an amazing game, graphically. Rage would have been that game if Id wasn't forced to wrap the entire engine into the shit that is console hardware.

I'm not sure that id's megatexture approach can be used in this fashion. "Megatexture" seems like something used particularly and specifically in ram-constrained hardware gaming environments such as consoles and smart phones. I think id's attempt and obvious failure to use high-res textures inside of the megatextures used in Rage proves it--they could not do it, apparently, without rewriting a big chunk of the gaming engine from the ground up. Otherwise, nothing at all would have prevented them from doing this exclusively for the PC version--and frankly, if it was possible I don't think id would have left it out of the PC version of Rage in the first place.

"Can't make a silk purse from a sou's ear," etc...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

25. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 08:47 Verno

The Xbox version had all sorts of load time and pop-in problems, my buddy bitched to hell and back about it before he traded it in to some store.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

24. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 08:41 WaltC

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 00:15:
Sadly, from all reviews, the console versions don't suffer from any of the texture issues. Supposedly they run flawlessly.

Well, I guess you missed this Rage review. It's of the console version, btw--and about the best thing the reviewer could say about the game was that after they moved it to the xBox's hard drive the *texture popping* was greatly reduced (but not eliminated, mind you.)

The main problem with console reviews versus PC reviews--well, there are many difficulties in directly comparing the two--is chiefly that what passes for good/acceptable/very pretty on a console appears poor/unacceptable/ugly on a PC, most especially to a person who only plays games on a PC, because he has become accustomed to higher resolutions, higher texture resolutions, and a lot more that simply doesn't exist for console games because consoles don't support them. People who chiefly game on consoles versus PCs often don't complain about the same things because they are used to the generally overall lower quality of the graphics and presentation.

Sadly, many game reviewers for both platforms often gloss over problems and difficulties with the games they review (but not all such reviewers, as the Ars review above illustrates) because they fear being "cut off" of a developer's or a publisher's game review distribution circuit. So, they simply "forget" to mention the ugly stuff they encounter, and most of them will defend this practice by saying that they wanted to give the game a chance to get its act cleaned up. You have been warned...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

23. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 08:05 Dev

I thought there was going to be a higher res texture patch? Its been a while lol  

22. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 07:02 Dmitri_M

Overon wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 23:52:
At this point I can only conclude that they cannot fix the blurry up close textures on the PC because this megatextures concept is not able to. Please prove me wrong. Do things up close look just as bad on consoles as on PC?

A 128 x 128 pixel texture cannot magically upres. This is why Carmack uses a detail map\improved filter\or whatever on these low resolution images in a vein attempt at making them appear "crisp".

Of course it won't do much if the texture is low res to begin with.

Somewhere along the way programmers decided on a visual quality that suited their technology, and the art department leads went along with it.

21. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 07:02 xXBatmanXx

You al hvae inspired me to finish the game on my days off. Hope to get enough time to sit and play. Going to grab a beer in a couple hours when I get home from work, a nice glass of whiskey, and play until my eyes get heavy.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

20. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 06:47 ochentay4

Few days ago I complained about id not patching the game. Yesterday noticed Rage was patching (you wouldnt believe no idea my excitement!). Then noticed the textures were not updated, insted a filter/sharpening combination was added...

When turning On Detail Textures it warned me about no having enough cores (I have a Phenom 965, 4 cores at 3.3ghz, I think its more than enough for ALL games, wtf!?). When playing the game stutters like hell, but it really improves close up textures (but adds A LOT of noise too, which I hate). Currently is unplayable with Detail Textures On with my setup.

My current specs: Phenom 965, ATI 6850 12.2 Preview Driver, 8GB RAM.

Im absolutely hating id now. Shame cause id loved every game they've released till now.

19. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 05:02 Julio

Maybe they can have a steaming pile of .... sale and put this in a 2 pack with DNF for $1.  

18. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 02:31 xXBatmanXx

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:53:
I really can't tell the difference with the texture detail option on or off. Still looks like shit.

Still can;t get past the hospital level either. The door to get the upgrade always glitches and won't let me through. I guess it's time to exorcise this shit demon from my hard drive.

Can you no clip the door or wall and get it? I didn't have any problems with the game at all.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: RAGE OS X Released; Windows Version Patched Feb 3, 2012, 01:53 Agent.X7

I really can't tell the difference with the texture detail option on or off. Still looks like shit.

Still can;t get past the hospital level either. The door to get the upgrade always glitches and won't let me through. I guess it's time to exorcise this shit demon from my hard drive.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo