Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Online Disruption

Ubisoft announces plans to change facilities where servers are hosted for many of its online games, which will result in some downtime. These moves will begin on February 7th, and will impact the following PC games: Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2, Might & Magic : Heroes VI, and The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom for Windows, and Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell Conviction for OS X. Thanks Computer and Video Games.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 22:29 Prez

ash_22 wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 09:55:
Funny thing about Hawx 2, it haven't been crack. So if UBI wanted to block all those filthy pirates, they could implement it on the new games.

Games don't go without being cracked because of the strength of the DRM, but rather due to a simple lack of interest. Why expend the effort on a game no one (besides yours truly) is even interested in?

I just love jet combat games. I bought a Playstation way back when just to play Ace Combat for crying out loud.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 16:30 SimplyMonk

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 14:30:
... transition do not require a persistent online connection á la Ubi always-on DRM in the first place so them not being available obviously has nothing to do with any always-on requirements.

I'm pretty sure that if my single player game is no longer playable when an external server is turned off... than that can be classified as DRM even if it is just the result of horrible coding or some other unnecessary dependency. Maybe you are right and this isn't caused by Ubisoft's trademarked always-on DRM itself, but if it produces the same effect to the end-user, I fail to see why you are so aggressive against people who take issue with Ubisoft's methodology of installing online dependencies for their single player games.

At that point you are just arguing semantics.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2012, 16:55.

52. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 14:30 CJ_Parker

avianflu wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 14:02:
CJ the UBI post states that some games including HOMMVI are "unplayable" (Ubi's wording) during the transition, including single player.

unless you see more info on that link than I do?

That's not the point. The point is that the brainless knee-jerk criticism in this thread was directed against Ubi's always-on DRM. Most (all?) of the titles (it is limited to only three PC and three MAC games anyway) that will not be playable during the transition do not require a persistent online connection á la Ubi always-on DRM in the first place so them not being available obviously has nothing to do with any always-on requirements. It's also retarded to pretend to be outraged when the vast majority of Ubi games including titles that at least had an always-on requirement in the past will in fact be perfectly playable in offline mode during the transition period.

51. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 14:23 SimplyMonk

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 10:45:
But keep on fighting the good fight, people! Brain off, feet on. Forward - march...

Hmmm?

The following games will not be playable during the transition:
ASSASSIN'S CREED ® MAC
Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.® 2 PC
Might & Magic : Heroes VI PC
Splinter Cell Conviction® MAC
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom™ PC
The Settlers ® MAC

I think that is fairly direct, but thanks for brainlessly insulting people.

50. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 14:02 avianflu

CJ the UBI post states that some games including HOMMVI are "unplayable" (Ubi's wording) during the transition, including single player.

unless you see more info on that link than I do?

49. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 13:46 HorrorScope

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 03:27:
Everyone who still buys Ubisoft games deserves this and much worse.

Probably true. I'm still finding a reason to even buy their games as all, leave out DRM.

48. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 10:45 CJ_Parker

mlw wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 20:39:
Who is the more foolish? Ubisoft, or the Fools who buy their DRM laden software?

The most foolish ones are the brainless muppets with dyslexia like yourself who didn't even bother to read the announcement. Because anyone who followed the link posted in the news would know that Ubi DRM is not even affected by this downtime with the exception of new registrations which will not be possible during this time. Anyone and everyone who has already connected to the Ubi servers at least once will be able to keep playing their games during the downtime.

But keep on fighting the good fight, people! Brain off, feet on. Forward - march...

47. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 09:55 ash_22

Funny thing about Hawx 2, it haven't been crack. So if UBI wanted to block all those filthy pirates, they could implement it on the new games.  

46. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 05:14 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 22:59:
Funny, the pirates will be able to play these games without any issues whatsoever on February 7th.
DIRTY CHEATERS!!!!!

45. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 3, 2012, 03:27 Muscular Beaver

Everyone who still buys Ubisoft games deserves this and much worse.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

44. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 23:55 Kitkoan

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 18:12:
Maybe the scotch talking, but what the heck.

Best start to any comment on this board I've seen yet.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

43. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 22:59 Creston

Funny, the pirates will be able to play these games without any issues whatsoever on February 7th.

Creston

42. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 21:15 Julio

Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:06:
So, have you tried all the HOMM since HOMM 3 and consider that the best?

Yes,
HOMM4 would be good if it had much of an AI. HOMM5 I really didn't like with the zoomed in/3D type feel. It was also really buggy at the time.

I still like playing Age of Wonders Shadow Magic as well as King's Bounty.

41. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 21:03 SimplyMonk

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 16:01:
Yes this is fail because for them to go to the model they did, imo that then played a hand for them. That hand would be you would setup the new servers concurrently at the new location while the old ones remain online at the current location. Then you bring up the new at the new local and then retire the old ones, no downtime. IMO when they made this change to always online authentication, imo they also married having concurrent servers for moves etc. Fail not doing that. They deserve the chair.

Why there needs to be any downtime or even an announcement for this just boggles my mind. Unless the servers are storing game critical data on them and not just validating an install, why not just replace the current web service with one that just green lights every request until the move is complete and then switch over the DNS?

You wouldn't even have to make an announcement and suffer people being reminded that you DRM scheme is horrible. The only problem this might cause is some pirate might be able to validate their install for however long it takes you to move.

Oh wait. I forgot. They our horrible. It makes sense now.

They most likely saw how little the servers were being hit and those games were being played and figured that working on a better solution for their customers wasn't worth the time or effort.

40. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 20:39 mlw

Who is the more foolish? Ubisoft, or the Fools who buy their DRM laden software?  

39. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 19:54 Prez

People keep saying that big companies like Blizzard and Ubisoft can afford to pay for reliable, continued service for their always-on drek. Well, it still leaves a lot to be desired in this gamer's opinion. Even discounting the fact that I lose everything due to any hiccup on my end completely, I was booted out of a Starcraft 2 single player mission no less than 6 times when playing it through Bnet because of their "reliable, continuous service" blinking out, and I lost count at around 20 with Ubisoft's Silent Hunter 5. If this is what people consider "reliable", it still isn't good enough in my book, not by a long shot. Thankfully, Starcraft 2, unlike Ubisoft or their own upcoming Diablo 3, has the option to play it offline, and I consider my experience a valuable lesson to not go near Diablo 3 until Blizzard wises up and do the same for it.

Rationlize this sort of stupidity all you want, but if this is the future of singleplayer gaming then I'll find another hobby.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 19:19 Pineapple Ferguson

Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:06:
Julio wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 18:57:
I will say that HOMM VI makes a great beer coaster while I play the much superior HOMM 3 from GOG.
So, have you tried all the HOMM since HOMM 3 and consider that the best? I haven't tried the last 2 I don't think. I've been wondering if they are even worth trying, especially with at least one of them having crazy ubi drm.

Recently I have been enjoying the Kings Bounty series (latest I think is crossworlds) which gives a HOMM 3 feel, but much improved in many ways.

HOMM3 is still my personal favorite, but 5 is easily the 2nd best IMO. Although I really loved the music in 2.

37. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 19:08 Bhruic

Yeah, I really love the KB series. I was a big fan of HoMM3, and nothing since has really seemed in the same class. KB gives most of the same feel, but without a lot of the tedium. Can't wait for the next iteration to come out.  

36. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 19:06 Dev

Julio wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 18:57:
I will say that HOMM VI makes a great beer coaster while I play the much superior HOMM 3 from GOG.
So, have you tried all the HOMM since HOMM 3 and consider that the best? I haven't tried the last 2 I don't think. I've been wondering if they are even worth trying, especially with at least one of them having crazy ubi drm.

Recently I have been enjoying the Kings Bounty series (latest I think is crossworlds) which gives a HOMM 3 feel, but much improved in many ways.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2012, 19:12.

35. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 18:57 Julio

avianflu wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 18:37:
I am one the fools who bought their HOMM VI game

Ultra annoyed that the single player goes down when their servers go down.

Hey at least the game worked at all for you. For me HOMM VI worked online only, then decided not to work online or offline once UBI support provided their useless assistance.

Never again will Ubi product get onto my PC.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo