Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Changes

Hi-Rez Studios announces significant changes for Tribes Ascend, based on feedback from closed beta testing of this upcoming continuation of the Tribes series of multiplayer first-person shooters. Word is they are shaking up their planned class structure, and will be adding more of the flexibility players have been requesting. Here's word on the next update to the game's ongoing closed beta test, which is available to those who preorder through the Tribes Ascend Website, along with some of those who have signed up for the beta:

The next update will include additional class customization and a much more polished user interface that really showcases the sci-fi, high resolution graphics of Tribes: Ascend. Hi-Rez will be collapsing the total number of playable classes from 12 to 9, but adding the ability for players to unlock new weapons for each class and further customize their loadout. Three of the nine classes will be available right away so a new player will have access to a Light, Medium, and Heavy class in his or her first match.

“We believe this system preserves class-based combat while also offering additional flexibility for players to customize classes around individual play style. It continues to provide a balanced and level playing field for all players.”

View
95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

75. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:30 Crustacean Soup

elefunk wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 02:23:
And who the hell snipes in Tribes? Between calling it a "disc gun" and thinking that sniping is actually a good tactic in Tribes (or remotely helpful to your team) methinks you've never actually played any game in the series and are raging just because it's the cool thing to do.

Um, from what I remember sniping was always useful for defense. I think some people even used it when chasing, and occasionally on offense (and obviously in pubs a lot of people used it offensively).

Obviously, sniping the way most pub players do it isn't particularly useful.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:27 Crustacean Soup

elefunk wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 02:20:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:46:
What they ought to do is just charge $50 to buy the game outright (excluding cosmetic upgrades). Keep the F2P for the people who want the F2P.
You can already do that. $50 will unlock everything in the game.
No way.

$50 gets you 5500 Gold.

1400 Gold will unlock the classes.

1260 Gold appears to be how much Juggy needs to unlock all weapons/items, so assuming all the classes have the same requirements, that's 11340 Gold.

2560 Gold is needed to unlock all perks.

And you need XP to upgrade the classes and their items. You can't buy XP, but you can buy boosts.

73. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:23 elefunk

Suckage wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:39:
I decided to give this new take on Tribes a go and... while it does feel great and is fun to play, I must say that you really do need to "P2W"; you don't get the disc gun unless you get a shitload of XP points or cough up the dough, you don't get to repair buildings unless you do the same, likewise for sniping, etc. This is just ridiculous.
What the hell are you talking about? 2 out of the 3 classes have spinfusors, and any class can pick up a repair kit that's sitting in multiple places throughout every base on every map.

And who the hell snipes in Tribes? Between calling it a "disc gun" and thinking that sniping is actually a good tactic in Tribes (or remotely helpful to your team) methinks you've never actually played any game in the series and are raging just because it's the cool thing to do.

72. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:20 elefunk

What they ought to do is just charge $50 to buy the game outright (excluding cosmetic upgrades). Keep the F2P for the people who want the F2P.
You can already do that. $50 will unlock everything in the game.

71. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 02:16 Crustacean Soup

ViRGE wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:51:
I'm not terribly fond of the idea, but I'll admit it's a fair idea. At the very least it's an honest sale and keeps Hi-Rez from nickle & diming you.
I don't know if it would end up being as financially pleasing for the developer as a pure-F2P (it's never been tested in the strictest sense, has it?), but as a user I like the concept.

Functionally, as long as I'm one of the people who decides to shell out the full price, it ends up acting the same as a full-purchase game, but it gives the casuals and those less likely to pay full price immediately a chance to get into it as well. The F part of F2P seems to be extremely important for word-of-mouth advertising, especially for studios that can't afford that ridiculous advertising that the big names use.

70. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:51 ViRGE

I'm not terribly fond of the idea, but I'll admit it's a fair idea. At the very least it's an honest sale and keeps Hi-Rez from nickel & diming you.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2012, 03:14.

69. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:46 Crustacean Soup

68. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:43 Linksil

I remember reading something a while back about having the esports part of the game being under full unlocks so that every team had the same equipment no matter the players unlocks.

Every tribes game has been slightly different. I didn't like the idea of restricted class's coming from a T1/T2 long time vet, but i'm finding TA to be a very fun and enjoyable game. Basicly the way it's set up yes you can boost up faster, or you can be skilled, or you can play a lot to get exp. It leaves you options depending on your life.

With the way the boosts are set up, you can "buy" the game once just like you'd have done with the game before and you'll have enough boost to be on = footing with all other players after a few games. Just consider your first boost paying for the game. At least it's not auto reaccuring like MMO's.

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

67. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:40 Crustacean Soup

ViRGE wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:22:
Which is why the Tribes vets are so pissed off at this game. T1/T2/TV was a level playing field. There's nothing level about TA.

I'm a "Tribes vet" (admittedly I was pretty terrible at T1 and T2) and I'm not pissed. Disappointed that the series is being revived with an F2P model instead of something more traditional, but not pissed.

I still do not think that the flexibility is a game-killer; how many loadouts did you use in Tribes? It's annoying, it might be enough to stop this game from being competition-relevant on its own, but it doesn't kill the experience.

The new upgrades added in the last patch are another matter. :\

Suckage wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:39:
I decided to give this new take on Tribes a go and... while it does feel great and is fun to play, I must say that you really do need to "P2W"; you don't get the disc gun unless you get a shitload of XP points or cough up the dough, you don't get to repair buildings unless you do the same, likewise for sniping, etc. This is just ridiculous.

You can pick up a repair gun at the repair gun stations.

66. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:39 Suckage

65. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:22 ViRGE

elefunk wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:16:
You can buy everything in the game and I'll still kick your ass using only free stuff.

It's still hilarious that everyone who is calling this game "pay to win" are the people who haven't played a minute of it in their life.
No, you won't. I've played Tribes since 1998 (longer than most vets); I've been on highly ranked teams, and have managed to top pub games again and again. Skill is not a question; on an equal footing you will lose.

Which is why the Tribes vets are so pissed off at this game. T1/T2/TV was a level playing field. There's nothing level about TA.

Edit: And this is not that I'm trying to be boastful. I'm just saying that I know how to play Tribes very, very well, so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to the advantages of having the right equipment

64. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:16 elefunk

ViRGE wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 01:13:
Krovven wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:42:
And for all those saying this isn't Pay To Win.

If you can pay additional money to gain a benefit over players that do not pay the extra cash, it's P2W.

Tribes Ascend, can you pay an extra fee to gain XP and Tokens faster and purchase Gold to unlock more classes? Yes. It's P2W.
Bingo. "Flexibility" is just another form of P2W, it's just a more insidious form because it's not directly presented as an I Win button.

In TA you purchase loadouts to be more flexible to kill the guys who are running around in the free gear. That is Pay 2 Win. The only way a game is Free2Play is if you can only purchase cosmetic items; the moment you can purchase anything that impacts gameplay, it's P2W.
You can buy everything in the game and I'll still kick your ass using only free stuff.

It's still hilarious that everyone who is calling this game "pay to win" are the people who haven't played a minute of it in their life.

63. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 01:13 ViRGE

Krovven wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:42:
And for all those saying this isn't Pay To Win.

If you can pay additional money to gain a benefit over players that do not pay the extra cash, it's P2W.

Tribes Ascend, can you pay an extra fee to gain XP and Tokens faster and purchase Gold to unlock more classes? Yes. It's P2W.
Bingo. "Flexibility" is just another form of P2W, it's just a more insidious form because it's not directly presented as an I Win button.

In TA you purchase loadouts to be more flexible to kill the guys who are running around in the free gear. That is Pay 2 Win. The only way a game is Free2Play is if you can only purchase cosmetic items; the moment you can purchase anything that impacts gameplay, it's P2W.
Jerykk wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 00:52:
You're the one having difficulty reading, you cannot buy an advantage in the game with real money. There is nothing more to add, it doesn't exist in the game right now. If it does in the future then we'll all have a big whine about it then but right now it doesn't give you anything you can't get in the game legitimately like many other games that most of us here play.

The problem is that having unlockables in a competitive multiplayer game is inherently unbalanced. Allowing players to unlock these things faster than other players by paying money is a bought advantage. The player who buys all the classes and is constantly XP-boosted will have a significant advantage over the player who has yet to unlock anything.
This too. Unlocks, perks, etc were all terrible ideas for MP FPSes. But as someone else correctly put it, they trigger a Pavlovian response, which means people will go for them anyhow because they can't control themselves.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2012, 01:19.

62. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 00:52 Jerykk

You're the one having difficulty reading, you cannot buy an advantage in the game with real money. There is nothing more to add, it doesn't exist in the game right now. If it does in the future then we'll all have a big whine about it then but right now it doesn't give you anything you can't get in the game legitimately like many other games that most of us here play.

The problem is that having unlockables in a competitive multiplayer game is inherently unbalanced. Allowing players to unlock these things faster than other players by paying money is a bought advantage. The player who buys all the classes and is constantly XP-boosted will have a significant advantage over the player who has yet to unlock anything.

61. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 3, 2012, 00:12 Prez

Dades wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 21:19:
...right now it doesn't give you anything you can't get in the game legitimately like many other games that most of us here play.

It seems to me that the main source of the disagreement boils down to what one considers an "advantage". I view someone buying things that I don't yet have and someone having earned the same things through being able to spend way more time earning them than I ever could spend both as putting me at a disadvantage. How much bearing the disadvantage can have on the game of course will vary from negligible to huge depending on many factors. The problem I have personally is that in a multiplayer arena with everything else being equal, I am still always at a disadvantage due simply to a general lack of skill at competitive shooters and more specifically poor reflexes and reaction time. The idea that anything can further tip the scales against me, no matter how little, is extra off-putting for me.

That's not to say I'm against the free to play model in theory, but practically speaking it just may be a case of F2P multiplayer shooters not being for me. I'd prefer if the only things money could buy were vanity items or cosmetic upgrades only.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

60. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 2, 2012, 22:33 Crustacean Soup

Now that I've played the patch, I also have to comment on it:

The UI is much nicer looking.
The weapon purchasing and the new class layout makes sense.
The upgrades? Eh...

None of them seem exceedingly overpowered, but there's more of them than before (including upgrades to perks, upgrades to armors, upgrades to packs, upgrades to weapons...), and the combined effect is probably noticeable. I spent a pretty good chunk of the credits that were refunded to me on upgrading Pathfinder. It feels ridiculously fast now. I have more energy even than before, and 10% less mass. I don't know how much of the new feeling is down to the upgrades, and how much is down to physics changes that may have also taken place.

I'll have to see how this plays out, but these are larger advantages that take longer to earn. You're still very competitive without the upgrades, but less than before.

59. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 2, 2012, 21:19 Dades

Krovven wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:53:
You can't read can you? You pay to gain XP faster, and have to continue to pay monthly if you want to keep gaining XP faster. That's enough to make it P2W.

58. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 2, 2012, 20:41 Crustacean Soup

Basically, every class is about as flexible as every other class. Pathfinder caps/chases, but it's flimsy and weak making it a terrible offense class (though I try). The heavies are all pretty much single-role (anti-base, anti-personnel, defense). Soldier, one you start with, is the most flexible class in the game since it's got decent weapons, mobility, and armor, making it good for defense and offense. It's not like TF2 seems to be where an unlockable weapon can completely replace multiple other weapons, or where certain weapons are obviously inferior in all ways to others.  

57. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 2, 2012, 20:37 Prez

Try the game, maybe? It is different in practice. The light class you now start with? It's the capping/chasing class. The other light class? It gets a sniper rifle, but it's (relatively) crappy at capping and chasing. The heavy class you start with? Tears up enemy base assets. The two you can unlock don't, but they have other purposes (one is Anti-Personnel offense, one is defense).

Oh, I have every intention of trying it, I was just weighing in on the discussion with my opinion, such as it is having not played it yet. It's just a matter of finding the time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Tribes Ascend Changes Feb 2, 2012, 20:30 Crustacean Soup

Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 20:22:
elefunk wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 20:01:

Everything else is preferential play style, not actually necessary or advantageous to compete.

That is the theory behind TF2 and it's range of different classes too. But, in practice, at least to me, the varied weapon selection within the classes felt like it bestowed distinct advantages of flexibility to people who had them, which in my view unbalanced the matches enough to make me lose interest.

Tribes Ascend might feel different in practice, but I have my doubts.

Try the game, maybe? It is different in practice. The light class you now start with? It's the capping/chasing class. The other light class? It gets a sniper rifle, but it's (relatively) crappy at capping and chasing. The heavy class you start with? Tears up enemy base assets. The two you can unlock don't, but they have other purposes (one is Anti-Personnel offense, one is defense).

Weapons within-classes also don't seem to grant significant bonuses. Soldier starts with an AR, can unlock a spinfusor. The AR is easier to use, especially when an enemy is in the air; the spinfusor is good on the ground and for knocking people around. They're both useful. Doombringer gets a super chaingun, or a super bolt launcher, which are similarly completely different.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2012, 20:37.

95 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo