Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives

IncGamers quotes Ian Frazier from a soon-to-be-published interview with the lead designer on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the imminent RPG from 38 Studios' Big Huge Games. He expresses the opinion that it's piracy, not the allure of console sales, that's making big PC exclusive games a thing of the past. "No, probably not. A game this big is very expensive to be blunt about it. The PC, with piracy being as rampant as it is, is really hard to make money from. My first game was Titan Quest, a hack ‘n’ slash RPG, which was PC only but the amount that it was pirated was the difference between us staying in business and going out of business," he tells them. "It’s really, really hard to be profitable by concentrating only on PC. Unless you’re an MMO."

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 5, 2012, 21:19 Darks

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 15:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 15:19:
Most ridiculous quote of this still young year so don't get too proud of yourself just yet. What's next? You gonna claim that Steam saved the whales? Come on. Don't be shy. You know you want to cough up another knee-slapper.

If saying things made them true then you'd be the prince of the universe You can try to paint a doom and gloom picture about piracy all you want but the PC platform is starting to thrive again largely on the back of digital distribution services. Piracy is a problem on all platforms but it doesn't mean PC exclusives can't be successful, both independent and traditional publisher funded.

First off everyone, this guy worked on Titan Quest. Need I say more when it comes to how they treat PC users and their unruly tactics towards PC DRM. I lost all respect for this guy once he uttered the words I worked on Titan Quest. Blehh!!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 4, 2012, 05:13 Acleacius

This is nuts, developers get away with these blatantly false claims. Here's Metacritic of 77. Yes that's the professional reviews, because these guys had virtually no media promotion for the game. Certainly nothing on the scale of a AAA title. Couldn't possibly be no one had heard of them or this game. Rolleyes

Average score and no professional media campaign, so what does frazier do, blame PC gamers. Clown.

Oh look they made another average game. Not that I take xlm or cvg as difinitive, mostly just to rub frazier's face in the husky wee wee.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2012, 05:19.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

55. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 3, 2012, 15:48 Beamer

Oh yeah, and the obvious summary:

if the price is low enough (I purposely avoid "fair" here) and the ease of buying is low people will happily buy over pirate.

The issues that remain are the gap in what each party considers "fair," which probably points to budgets (and consumer technical expectations) being too high, and the simple fact that ease of buying often means one source. Nobody wants to juggle multiple programs just to run games, so everyone sticks to Steam (which we're already tied to by virtue of huge libraries.) The easy solution is to untie games from platforms, which makes the platform just a delivery mention like a store, but you lose DRM (which defeats the entire point) and you lose the hook in the consumer (which no vendor wants to give up.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

54. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 3, 2012, 15:39 Verno

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 15:19:
Most ridiculous quote of this still young year so don't get too proud of yourself just yet. What's next? You gonna claim that Steam saved the whales? Come on. Don't be shy. You know you want to cough up another knee-slapper.

If saying things made them true then you'd be the prince of the universe You can try to paint a doom and gloom picture about piracy all you want but the PC platform is starting to thrive again largely on the back of digital distribution services. Piracy is a problem on all platforms but it doesn't mean PC exclusives can't be successful, both independent and traditional publisher funded.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

53. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 3, 2012, 15:28 Beamer

Steam has proven a few things:

1) Lots of people want to buy games
2) But they're price sensitive
3) To the point that they're often unwilling to pay enough to truly recoup development costs, as there still aren't enough people buying (this is arguable. A game like MW3 would never have made nearly as much if it cost half as much, but a game like Psychonauts may have sold enough more to warrant the drop in margin, meaning that MW3 would have to subsidize more niche risks less)
4) But they're easily tempted by bargains and sales, especially when they know exactly when the sale expires and their credit card is stored so it's one-click buy

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

52. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 3, 2012, 15:19 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 12:52:
... and as digital distribution has proven, it can be overcome on the PC platform.

51. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 3, 2012, 12:52 Verno

Piracy in general is a big issue but that's always been the case and as digital distribution has proven, it can be overcome on the PC platform. Unless you have some substance to add you're no better than anyone else at playing armchair industry analyst. You also make some pretty silly assumptions and throw around vague assertions about majorities that you know nothing about.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

50. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 3, 2012, 10:58 CJ_Parker

This is game dev no. 1658 (yeah I've kept score, alright) telling us that piracy is a huge problem for PC game development and yet the usual Blue's News know-it-all-and-then-some brigade calls BS on what the guy has to say because y'all naturally have much more insight than those 1658 devs complaining about PC piracy. Right.

By denying that PC piracy is a huge issue you are only contributing to the problem but who am I kidding. Most of you don't buy your games anyway as evidenced in numerous postings on here where people openly confess to or boast about freeloading so the majority of you is just in a state of self-denial. Oh well. Whatever gets ya through the day I guess... carry on.

49. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 23:36 PHJF

Yup, I literally could not fight the final boss of Immortal Throne because there was a massive bug in the boss's anteroom which caused my framerate to tank to single digits every time I entered it. One of the many bugs never fixed by Iron Lore and left to the community.

And fucking cunts like this Frazier want to whine about piracy? Hey here's a thought why don't you shut your fucking mouth and learn to make a game correctly and maybe people will be a little more willing to pay for it next time. Then again, fool me once...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

48. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 23:01 Creston

Oh, you're one of those cocksuckers who sold an expansion that broke the original game, Ian? Then didn't patch it? Good to know I can skip your next game then.

Creston

47. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 20:39 Prez

killer_roach wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:21:
Julio wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:00:
I like how devs of games that suck blame piracy for their game being garbage. 38 Studios can go console exclusive for all it matters.

...and this is why we can't have anything nice.

I agree we probably don't want to encourage more developers to go console-only ("be careful what you wish for - you may get it" and all that), but this guy's ignorance is galling.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

46. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 19:21 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 19:00:
I like how devs of games that suck blame piracy for their game being garbage. 38 Studios can go console exclusive for all it matters.

...and this is why we can't have anything nice.

45. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 19:00 Julio

44. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 18:35 Kajetan

PropheT wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 13:05:
And the game only had a rocky, bug-ridden start to people who pirated it ...
Erm ... no? My legally bought copy of TQ 1.0 was bug-ridden piece of shit, a performance hog and unstable. In fact, the moment i tried the warez-exe, the game was little bit better.

43. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 18:10 Prez

ASeven wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 17:09:
Another ironic twist on this, the Xbox leak of the game came out 2 days ago.

Really? Wow, them pirates are killing PC gaming.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 17:58 Dev

killer_roach wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 17:45:
Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 17:33:
Also, as soon as next gen consoles hit, ports to PC will take a MAJOR step forward in graphics and shiny features. This silly stuff about many games still being released using DX 9 is because thats closer to what consoles use, and consoles are holding back game development on PC.

Call me skeptical, but consoles going forward will only be more of a technological anchor, not less.
Oh I agree with the potential being there, but I'm saying we will finally get a nice boost to PC game development after being held back by obsolete hardware for so long.

And who knows, optimistically, with indie's pushing PC, and PC gaming seeming to experience a sort of revival in recent times, maybe PC's will become more at the forefront of game development again. Hey a guy can dream.

41. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 17:46 Paketep

Paketep wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 17:16:
DOTA 2

If you are mentioning unreleased games, don't forget diablo 3. Thats going to be a crazy big seller for blizzard.

Yeah, I didn't include it because it will surely have a console version.

And Minecraft I didn't name because I was thinking 2010, but I guess that if we start at 2006, there are A LOT of fantastic PC exclusives on all genres (the Civs, Company of Heroes, GalCiv *, Sins of a Solar Empire, the Total War series, the Trackmanias, ARMA *, Metro 2033, STALKER * ... I could go on and on...), and that's not even considering indies, which is where most innovation is coming from these days. Take any Humble Bundle and you'll have entertainment for months at a cheap price and no DRM.

40. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 17:45 killer_roach

Also, as soon as next gen consoles hit, ports to PC will take a MAJOR step forward in graphics and shiny features. This silly stuff about many games still being released using DX 9 is because thats closer to what consoles use, and consoles are holding back game development on PC.

It's been rumored that the next Xbox will use either a Radeon HD 6xxx or 7xxx GPU... if the late 2013 release date holds, we may very well be seeing PCs with a 9xxx-class GPU and DirectX 12 in comparison.

With the original Xbox, Microsoft had a GPU that was marginally ahead of PCs at the time of launch (as it was halfway between the GeForce3 and GeForce4 when the GF3 was the high-end PC card), with the 360 was marginally behind (Radeon X1xxx-class versus HD 2xxx-class in PCs), and with the next console, if rumors are to be believed, it will be 2-3 full generations behind PCs.

Call me skeptical, but consoles going forward will only be more of a technological anchor, not less.

39. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 17:33 Dev

Paketep wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 17:16:
DOTA 2
If you are mentioning unreleased games, don't forget diablo 3. Thats going to be a crazy big seller for blizzard.

Also to the original guy asking about PC exclusive games since Titan Quest, that was in 2006. I'm sure if people think about it, there will be more major games since 2006 that are PC exclusive.

Here's a random one, minecraft. I know its being currently ported, but I don't think there were any plans to port it initially. Even though its an indie, with its 4 million sales I'd class it as a "major" game. Its inspired a bunch of follow up games in a sandbox style, and I think its revealed a clear hunger for games that let people do what they want and aren't mindless clones of other games (its far easier to make and get games with those attributes on PC)

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2012, 17:38.

38. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 17:16 Paketep

Teddy wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 16:18:
PropheT wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 13:05:
What major non-MMO PC-exclusive games are there anymore since Titan Quest besides Crysis, a game that was also pirated to hell and back?

ANNO 2070
Heroes of Might and Magic VI
Starcraft 2
Shogun: Total War 2
Civilization V

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

DOTA 2
The Sims *
Red Orchestra 2
WH40K: Dawn of War 2 & expansions
Witcher 2 (although it was clear it was going to be released for consoles)
And let's not forget the glorious SpaceChem.

Some more, and it didn't take me even a minute to think of them.

Edit: OMG, how could I not list Trackmania 2?. There.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo