Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC

Steam News announces the release of the Ryder White DLC for Dead Island, Techland's zombie game. Here's word:

Players have survived the terrors that took place on Banoi, but did they really get all the pieces of the puzzle? Dead Island´s Ryder White DLC lets you re-experience the Zombie outbreak, but this time through the eyes of the villain. Play through Ryder White´s story and understand the motivation behind the acts of this military man.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 3, 2012, 08:36 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 03:00:
I have spent a heck of a lot more time than that. And I can't disagree more. You do realize that you explained almost every "open world" game in those first comments? Not sure why when someone doens't like a particular title they will pull that "repititive" thing out, but when they like it - it is the next best thing.....

You do realize I explained it twice already? Some games do it well, this one didn't. You're free to disagree but saying "u like X open world game but not this one!" isn't going to magically change my mind because it doesn't make sense. The same way you post sometimes saying you didn't like X game that people love for all of the reasons you dislike it.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 3, 2012, 03:00 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 09:47:

I spent more than 4 hours with it but I have to agree. The quests are mostly dumb fetch stuff, there is a lot of repetition and retreading places. The melee system is interesting for a bit but gets old fast as it's the only real gimmick the game has going on. The storyline is borderline incomprehensible and its presented very poorly with some of the worst editing I've ever seen in any movie or videogame. The voiceacting is laugh out loud levels of awful.

I have spent a heck of a lot more time than that. And I can't disagree more. You do realize that you explained almost every "open world" game in those first comments? Not sure why when someone doens't like a particular title they will pull that "repititive" thing out, but when they like it - it is the next best thing.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 19:38 Asmo

Krovven wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 12:19:
It's a fun game. Some people won't like it. Judging it on 100% speculation and a handful of comments from the most cynical gamers around, when the PC version has mostly favorable reviews, and you've already been told multiple times that the major problems were fixed in the first week of release, just reeks of idiocy.

I know right, his post kinda reminds me of your 'critiques' of Tribes Ascend... Ironic, right?

24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 18:16 Prez

Different strokes and all that man. Nothing cynical about peoples attitude with this game either. Some people like that style of grindy stuff and I don't begrudge them it.

Well, I hate grinding for grinding's sake just as much as anyone. The combat was very enjoyable and visceral, though. I agree the story and dialogue were stilted and wooden, though. It felt like nome of it made any sense.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 15:43 Verno

Uhh how was it "grindy"? Not once did I have to stop progressing through the game to just level up. That's what "grinding" is, and Dead island did not have that. Furthermore, with one of the patches they made it so the zombies leveled up with you.

Ok if you want to nitpick my wording then do a word replacement with repetitive and boring. Grindy as in go to quest hub, pick up a bunch of variations on tasks largely the same and go do them over and over. Get back to turn them in and repeat. Call it whatever you want in your head, we didn't like it. Maybe you did, wonderful. As already explained, some games do this better than others, we didn't enjoy it in this one. And yes we got to the lovely city with its godawful sewer sequence and so on.

Oh yeah, you really need to play this SP first, before jumping into a Coop game. Just for the mere fact it gives you a feel of the game play and locations. Coop is just the frosting on the cake, well imo.

I don't see how that would make a difference, they play pretty much exactly the same. The game just didn't click for us. I probably could have dealt with the other flaws and issues with the game if it had a solid story with likeable characters or more fleshed out RPG mechanics. I love zombie games and I really want a well developed, more serious take on them compared to L4Ds goofiness but this one just didn't do it IMO.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2012, 15:48.

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 15:38 Aganazer

I've been playing coop with the wife lately. This game is fantastic. Its the best coop game we have played since Borderlands which we also loved.

There just aren't a lot of games that combine character development, open world, and coop. That feature set alone sets it apart from so much mediocrity.

I love the zombie genre, but hated L4D2 which is nothing more than a twitch coop shooter in a corridor environment that had zero character development and zero environment immersion. I mean if that is what you're into then the more power to you, but I'd even go as far as to say Fort Zombie is a better game.

Shame about the Ryder White DLC though. With no coop or character development its just not the same game anymore.

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 15:00 Acleacius

Nobody said the acting or the plot was great. The reason they had to do it like this is because the game is based on a book series. Not to spoil anything but in the book one of the four, was injured and never really went out to accomplish the tasks to get off the island.

Oh yeah, you really need to play this SP first, before jumping into a Coop game. Just for the mere fact it gives you a feel of the game play and locations. Coop is just the frosting on the cake, well imo.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 14:47 Krovven

Verno wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 13:23:
Some people like that style of grindy stuff and I don't begrudge them it.

Uhh how was it "grindy"? Not once did I have to stop progressing through the game to just level up. That's what "grinding" is, and Dead island did not have that. Furthermore, with one of the patches they made it so the zombies leveled up with you.

Did you even get to the city? Gameplay was great there, and made even better with the DH Helper, depending on the settings you used.

I do find it laughable that people think the quests in DH suck, considering the praise Skyrim gets and has the exact same style quests. Go here kill this target. Go here and collect item X. That's all most games quests are. If you don't get a satisfaction out of the dynamics of the melee combat in DH, then you probably aren't going to like the game, regardless of the quests.

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 13:23 Verno

Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 11:05:
It's weird that you say that, because I played the game almost exclusively in SP for dozens of hours and never really got bored. I'm the type of gamer who starts games but rarely finishes them, but Dead Island compelled me to play through it to the end.

Maybe because I'm a "carrot gamer" and always wanted to go up that next level or find that new blueprint. It's probably also worth mentioning that I absolutely loved Borderlands, and played it mostly in SP as well.

Different strokes and all that man. Nothing cynical about peoples attitude with this game either. Some people like that style of grindy stuff and I don't begrudge them it. Heck, some games I like it too but I just didn't care for the implementation in this one. I think I can do it if the game has a good story or otherwise strong mechanics to draw me in but this game didn't have that IMO.

Borderlands did this style of gameplay better and the RPG trappings here are nearly as thin as that game anyway. Not that it was a master piece or anything either but *shrug*

But not to list negatives alone, this game had a decent melee implementation and a good crafting system. I liked the atmosphere too, particularly in the first act. Animation quality varied but the graphics were otherwise solid and even great in some parts.

The plot was a bit disjoint in places I admit.

A bit disjointed? I thought it was a train wreck from start to finish. The character interactions and dialogue don't even make sense half the time, they couldn't even story board the timeline properly judging by all of the gaps. The characters themselves are mostly unlikable. That's without going into the glaring plot holes and mcguffins. This was the area of the game that needed the most improvement IMO.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2012, 13:35.

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 12:19 Krovven

MajorD wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 10:44:
Are you sure? The majority seems to think otherwise.

So a few posts on Blues is a majority? Why are the majority of people so fucking stupid? Would be pretty dumb for me to make that judgement based on 3 peoples comments.

Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 11:05:
It's weird that you say that, because I played the game almost exclusively in SP for dozens of hours and never really got bored.

Ditto.

I had every intention of playing coop at launch, but it was broken for a few days so I continued on playing solo. Turns out that was the best way to play anyways. The game has issues, no more than any other game released these days. Unlike so many other games released this past fall, Dead Island ran on peoples systems from day one without some divine intervention of the video driver gods.

The DH Helper tool is fantastic. So one of the huge perks of PC gaming is having access to fan made utilities when publishers fail to allow devs to give proper post release support, and all of a sudden that is a problem and a reason not to by a game? It's a fun game. Some people won't like it. Judging it on 100% speculation and a handful of comments from the most cynical gamers around, when the PC version has mostly favorable reviews, and you've already been told multiple times that the major problems were fixed in the first week of release, just reeks of idiocy.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 11:21 Mechanik

I'm not sure why there is so much hate on for this game. It's an RPG... RPGs have fetch quests... it's no different in that respect than Skyrim or any other RPGS.

The plot was a bit disjoint in places I admit. Yes, the ending was a let down compared to my expectations, but it was still a good game. I enjoyed it thoroughly and finished the game.

Quality-wise, it was fine after the first patch really.

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 11:05 Prez

Verno wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 09:47:

I spent more than 4 hours with it but I have to agree. The quests are mostly dumb fetch stuff, there is a lot of repetition and retreading places. The melee system is interesting for a bit but gets old fast as it's the only real gimmick the game has going on. The storyline is borderline incomprehensible and its presented very poorly with some of the worst editing I've ever seen in any movie or videogame. The voiceacting is laugh out loud levels of awful.

This is one of those mediocre games where everyone tries to qualify it with "its fun with friends and booze" which is pretty much any game at all. In fact the most fun we had was doing Mystery Science Theater mocking of the storyline and voice acting on Mumble. It's a shame because the resort stuff was very well done and the game has the right kind of atmosphere, they just don't do anything with it.

It's weird that you say that, because I played the game almost exclusively in SP for dozens of hours and never really got bored. I'm the type of gamer who starts games but rarely finishes them, but Dead Island compelled me to play through it to the end.

Maybe because I'm a "carrot gamer" and always wanted to go up that next level or find that new blueprint. It's probably also worth mentioning that I absolutely loved Borderlands, and played it mostly in SP as well.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 10:44 MajorD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 03:04:

You ask this everytime the thread starts, and everytime we tell you everything was fixed with a fan made patch, and then later with a huge update.

Stop already. The game is fine.

Are you sure? The majority seems to think otherwise.

I ask because I was interested in this game prior to its release, but I had my reservations which proved to be correct. When I saw this post announcing the DLC was now available, I thought 'maybe' they fixed the bug ridden core game prior to selling the DLC, but by the majority of the responses it doesn't sound like they did.

But, I'm glad that it works for you and you are happy. ;-)

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 09:47 Verno

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 23:23:
Yeah I wouldn't bother with this. Some friends and I picked up a 4-pack on a Steam sale and played it exactly one time for probably four hours. The quests feel really cookie cutter and the gameplay and UI elements just reek of consolized laziness.

Basically if you want a good co-op zombie experience, L4D2 is still the game to beat.

This is one of those mediocre games where everyone tries to qualify it with "its fun with friends and booze" which is pretty much any game at all. In fact the most fun we had was doing Mystery Science Theater mocking of the storyline and voice acting on Mumble. It's a shame because the resort stuff was very well done and the game has the right kind of atmosphere, they just don't do anything with it.

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 08:35 Acleacius

Unless your playing Dead Island on a console, the console aspect can be removed. This was accomplished through legal modding of the files, within the first two weeks.

The game is extremely fun, when you play with like minded players. Get into a game with like minded players, either ones who like to explore or rush through. Personally, I like trying to do most every quest and exploring.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 03:21 Pineapple Ferguson

Well to that I'd say that a zombie survival shooter melee horror game with four person co-op, as Dead Island unabashedly touts itself to be, should expect to be compared to L4D, and as such, it fails mightily. Honestly if it wasn't for the inescapably shitty consolitis that pervades every aspect of its gameplay, it would probably be mostly passable. As it is though, it's simply a rather dull game that I cannot not recommend enough.  

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 03:04 xXBatmanXx

MajorD wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 22:49:
ochentay4 wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 22:07:
MajorD wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 21:52:
DLC for Dead Island? Did they ever fix & patch the game after being released crippled?

Kinda... most things should've fixed are in Dead Island Helper Tool made by a fan...

They should polish the game, its not that they sold few units...

Thanks for the info. Huh, a 'fan made' Helper Tool to fix the game? Pretty pathetic. More reinforcement for me not to buy it.

You ask this everytime the thread starts, and everytime we tell you everything was fixed with a fan made patch, and then later with a huge update.

Stop already. The game is fine.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 01:31 Prez

Left 4 Dead's "point A to point B" style is much better suited for coop play. The one time I tried coop everyone got annoyed at me because I wanted to explore the open world and not just rush headlong through it. It was very enjoyable in SP though except for my aforementioned hatred of the end section.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 01:25 Jerykk

Basically if you want a good co-op zombie experience, L4D2 is still the game to beat.

I'm not sure why you'd want to play Dead Island in co-op. That would totally undermine the survival horror gameplay. The game is best experienced alone, as the zombies are far more dangerous that way.

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 00:49 jacobvandy

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 23:23:
Yeah I wouldn't bother with this. Some friends and I picked up a 4-pack on a Steam sale and played it exactly one time for probably four hours. The quests feel really cookie cutter and the gameplay and UI elements just reek of consolized laziness.

The game is nothing like L4D, so if that's what you were expecting, I'm not surprised you didn't like it.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo