Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Happy Birthday id Software

As noted in this id Software tweet, id Software turns 21 years old today, as the Texas-based developer was formed on February 1st, 1991 by John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall, and Adrian Carmack.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 19:40 ChangWizzle

Ok, thats it. After today's patch, I am convinced that the Martians are holding the real John Carmack for ransom. Their stooge that replaced him has no frakking idea what they are doing....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 14:48 Drazula

Happy Belated Birthday id. Listen, stay in your comfort zone. There are still challenges there - Dead Space has surpassed you in space horror.  

23. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 10:52 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 21:13:
Dang. 21. They're old enough to drink now!
You have to wait until 21 to drink alcohol? That seems rather high. In the UK it's 18 (like most countries) and in Italy it's 16 (and they have considerably less alcohol related problems / crimes).

PS - RAGE was really bad.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 10:07 nin

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck! It's hellbinder!

Time for a Lobotomy, Dude.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 10:03 SirKnight

Damn, who passed out the hateraid?  

20. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 08:30 MrBone

Thanks for Q3. What? Yeah, just that. RIP.  

19. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 08:05 Dr. D. Schreber

Hellbinder wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 00:47:
if they forget the plot driven stuff and simply make a return to original quake with tons of atmospheric action and some boss fights, hidden passageways, old school guns with fast play and a bunch of old school multilayer maps...

id? Plot-driven?

What.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

18. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 07:44 El Pit

And to prove that it still cares for pc gamers, id Software releases all Doom and Quake games for free as a birthday present to its fans. All this happened in a parallel universe, of course.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 06:10 Ventura

Eh, happy birthday, I guess. It's not like they owe me something, why get so upset?

You didn't buy Rage then?

I didn't either, but those that did don't seem to be all that interested in helping id blow out the candles.

16. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 06:05 Killer Kane

Suckage wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 01:32:
Eh, happy birthday, I guess. It's not like they owe me something, why get so upset?

They owe me a f*cking game that works
(...and my money back for Doom 3 and Quake 4)

15. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 01:32 Suckage

14. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 00:47 Hellbinder

if they forget the plot driven stuff and simply make a return to original quake with tons of atmospheric action and some boss fights, hidden passageways, old school guns with fast play and a bunch of old school multilayer maps...

I bet it would be a huge hit even on consoles. but they would sell a few million PC versions at least. oh, and do it with a dev team of no more than 20 tops..

The Whales name is Bob.

13. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 00:37 Tom

Oh id. Let us remember the good times and be thankful. All good things must come to an end, and they did many years ago, but it's ok. The star that burns the brightest...  

12. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 00:24 Mordecai Walfish

happy birthday id! I'm guessing this is probably the worst one the company as a whole has had together.

Sleep it off, get over your hangover, and return to making great games. (and patch RAGE somewhere along the way.. please!)

you can do it id!

11. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 00:19 vermin

"happy" birthday

fuck id software

10. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 00:05 Bumpy

I feel old. Mean while....

id certainly has not gotten better with age, RAGE needs major liposuction and texture facelifts.

Still waiting for the promised texture patch and SDK.

9. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 1, 2012, 23:32 Mad Max RW

Ha, to date Rage has only had ONE PATCH and all it did was lock the in-game console command variables, effectively blocking people from tweaking the game. The added "new" limited graphics options in the menu were functions that already existed in the command line or config file. Meanwhile how many patches has Bethesda released for Skyrim? And just today they released a preview video of the Creation Kit. Where's idstudio? Remember the editing tools they promised would be part of the damn game on day one?

Here's a taste of what you were able to do with the unpatched version: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2166471

8. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 1, 2012, 22:55 MajorD

ochentay4 wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 22:08:
Happy birthday you cunts! Fix and improve damn Rage for gods sake, what a let down! $15 down to the toilet!

Grin....my thoughts exactly, but not in so many choice words. ;-)

If I am not mistaken, one of John-RocketBoy-Carmack's last posts regarding RAGE was that he/they were working on a fix/improvment to the low res textures and the pop-in texutures. That was back in mid/late October 2011, so at this point one can only ASSume they've just swept the whole-abortion-of-a-realease under the carpet. Maybe they'll surprise us and save face, but then again I have some doubts.

7. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 1, 2012, 22:31 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 21:30:
You mean it would have been there 21st birthday. id died after acquisition.

No, id Software still exists as a legal entity and separate company. It's just owned by another company.

"Id Software LLC, a ZeniMax Media company."

6. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 1, 2012, 22:25 Jim

How times have changed. The company that pretty much created the 3D FPS gaming industry, is now practically irrelevant in said industry.  
Jim

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo