Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo

A playable demo is now available for Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, the remake of Jagged Alliance 2 that's due for release on Valentine's Day. Word is the demo includes a tutorial mission, a sample level, and a pre-assembled team of mercenaries. The download is available on AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, and Gamer's Hell.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 2, 2012, 13:05 LC

Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 06:09:
So, any comments from people who tried demo?

Short version. It sucks like Electrolux. I wasn't expecting it to be good but it's actually managed to be worse than I anticipated.

Long version. UI is bad. Camera controls are bad, scrolling is with WASD or arrow keys. Rotate is Alt+mouse, zoom is mousewheel or Ctrl+mouse. Can't change the angle which causes problems. Targeting enemies isn't base on your mercs LOS but on the cameras. So you can't target an enemy under a tree unless you can get the camera to where you have a clear view. Not being to adjust the angle of the camera makes this bitch at times.

There is no fog of war. You see the location, facing, stance(and can even tell approximately what they armed with) of every single enemy on the map. Zero surprises or suspense. Enemies only react to gunfire in their immediate area. If you use the same tactics you use in any ActionRPG, pick off stragglers avoid triggering a large mob, you'll breeze through the demo. If you just charge in like an idiot you'll probably just get mobbed and killed like in an ARPG. I did it first try with only two mercs wounded and they were instantly healed back to 97% health at the cost of one syringe.

The Plan&Go actually seemed alright but I didn't need to use it try anything fancy. Just laid my mercs down in line, shoot the first enemy and then the few that come running. Rinse and repeat while trying to stay awake.

Healing takes only a few seconds, repairs take only a few seconds. You can only plant explosives in specific spots chosen by the developers. You can only climb up roofs in specific spots, etc., etc...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 2, 2012, 11:35 Paranoid Jack

Looks fun to me. I love TBS but also open to RTwP. I missed this yesterday and just got a chance to get the demo. Have the day off do to a last minute schedule change but I'm going out to shoot some real guns before I come home to shoot the virtual kind.

Looking forward to this one. Already bought it on Steam and hoping this demo doesn't make me regret that.

Wish Soldiers of Anarchy would have been better marketed. I would have like to play it from the look of it. Is it still available via download from someplace? I saw one copy on Amazon but haven't had a chance to search any further.

16. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 2, 2012, 06:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dev wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 06:09:

I played the demo for a few hours, then loaded up JA2 from gog.com that I had bought for sale at some point and have barely touched until now. The graphics and merc names in JA2 had put me off of it before, but I'm going to try to play through it fully before JA:BiA is released.

The demo is enjoyable, but it's a far cry from JA2, to be honest. Some reworking of various systems are definitely going to infuriate JA2 lovers, that's all there is to it. Think of this as a separate game, and you will probably enjoy it a LOT more.

I am buying it, I am in the mood for some squad based shooting of random npcs in the face, Fog of War and Turn Based or no.

Try the demo, obviously. I browsed the forums for JA:BiA and it's packed with JA2 fanatics cursing out the developers. Depressing. The game is pretty fun, but yes, it is a different game.

15. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 2, 2012, 06:09 Dev

14. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 2, 2012, 01:24 Prez

Okay, okay... it's a "definitely on a 50% -off sale as long as there isn't anything else to buy at the time". Better?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 20:38 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 18:44:
Well, Silent Storm was real time until you ran into enemies, at which point it went into Turn Based mode. But, you could force real time by cancelling out of TB mode, which was actually pretty useful if you wanted to run up and katana some people, for example.

That's exactly how JA2 worked, but not how this game works. This game has more in common with Synapsis, which makes it a lesser game imo. It went from a 'must-buy' to a " maybe on a sale" with that change.

Dude... who the hell are you kidding? We 'all' know that if this game is on steam (and it is), you'll own it... I dare you... hell, I double dog dare you to not buy it ; )

-Alamar

12. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 20:27 Bumpy

Finished the demo. It's fun but it's no JA that's for darn sure.

Hope the voices are place holders. <shudder>

I have a dozen complaints but by far the camera control ability and lack of FoW are the worst issues I have with the game. Hope these get a major overhaul or modded.

Will wait and see in a few months if this game improves with patches well enough to deem worthy a purchase.

11. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 19:44 Starang

Big JA fan, played the tutorial and mission. I would have preferred turn based over plan and go but I don't dislike it enough not to want to play the full game  

10. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 18:57 Halo

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 18:44:
Well, Silent Storm was real time until you ran into enemies, at which point it went into Turn Based mode. But, you could force real time by cancelling out of TB mode, which was actually pretty useful if you wanted to run up and katana some people, for example.

That's exactly how JA2 worked, but not how this game works. This game has more in common with Synapsis, which makes it a lesser game imo. It went from a 'must-buy' to a " maybe on a sale" with that change.

once enough turns passed without enemies being spotted the game would return to RT. It was how you set up ambushes in JA and SS hide your team, point them in the right direction and wait in RT.

I will try the demo when I get home but judging by the video I saw last all the enemies are in plain view and you know their locations at all times. It's not hard to win a shoot out when you know exactly what your enemy is doing... it's like playing checkers.

9. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 18:44 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 16:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

JA:BiA(demo) seems to be more NWN2ish, or Soldiers of Anarachy-ish, than like Silent Storm, on further reflection. You have queues for actions, in terms of pause/issue multiple commands/unpause. I guess it's just the style of the camera, the firearms, and the viewing angles of characters/enemies that is making me think more of Silent Storm.

It's been a few years since I've last replayed Silent Storm, need to dust that off again pretty soon. Not to mention Soldiers of Anarchy...

7. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 14:53 Beamer

Answered my own question:
http://www.gamershell.com/tv/41090.html

This doesn't look like the tiniest bit of fun for me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 14:52 Beamer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 14:46:
Hrm, played the demo, this game is awesome. Going to buy it, although the price seems a bit steep for basically a remake.

Also, I know the original was turn based, but pause/command worked brilliantly in Silent Storm(one of my favorite games, all time) and other games, and based on the demo, it seems usable here as well.

Silent Storm was a true TBS. This, from what I understand, is real time with pausing, which isn't what Silent Storm was. Or is this plan-and-go, like Frozen Synapse?

I consider TBS my favorite genre, but I hate real time with pausing and I hate plan-and-go, so I couldn't imagine I'd like this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 14:46 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, played the demo, this game is awesome. Going to buy it, although the price seems a bit steep for basically a remake.

Also, I know the original was turn based, but pause/command worked brilliantly in Silent Storm(one of my favorite games, all time) and other games, and based on the demo, it seems usable here as well.

4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 13:38 Halo

Alamar wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:29:
Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:12:
Me too. I am so sad that they abandoned the turn-based brilliance of the first, but I am willing to give the pause-and-go system a chance.

I use the pause-and-go system at home, especially when watching movies... After eating mexican...

-Alamar

You get the same results. SHIT

3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 12:29 Alamar

Prez wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 12:12:
Me too. I am so sad that they abandoned the turn-based brilliance of the first, but I am willing to give the pause-and-go system a chance.

I use the pause-and-go system at home, especially when watching movies... After eating mexican...

-Alamar

2. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 12:12 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Feb 1, 2012, 11:41 Pineapple Ferguson

Sweet. Definitely on the fence about this game and want to try it out.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo