Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam for Mobile Released

Valve announces that Steam for Mobile Devices is now available worldwide:

January 31, 2012 -- The Steam application for iOS and Android devices, announced last week, is now available to all gamers around the world.

Launched last week in a closed beta, the Steam app allows gamers to chat with Steam friends, browse community groups and user profiles, view screenshots and user-generated content for their favorite games, read the latest gaming news, stay up to date on unbeatable Steam sales, and more.

Want to check it out? Simply download the Steam app (free of charge) and log in to your Steam account via the mobile app.

Steam is a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC and Mac games with over 40 million accounts around the world and over 1,800 titles offered.

For more information, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/mobile

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 9, 2012, 00:05 ^Drag0n^

Loving Steam Mobile... have it running on my iphone and Xoom, and both work great. Made my first purchase on it earlier (Oblivion)

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 8, 2012, 18:57 Sepharo

Turns out Steam Mobile was reporting its battery usage incorrectly. It was all going under "Android OS". Looking at that in retrospect it does appear much higher than it's supposed to be.  

14. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 19:09 Sepharo

Nighthawk wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 06:07:
Wow, already so many comments from people that have obviously not tried it yet, has anyone thought to install it??
You're the 7th comment and you're acting like there's negative stuff in the first 6... I don't see any, in fact it looks like excitement and praise.

Seems great, though it seems to drain the battery quite a bit quicker
Unless my battery metrics are incorrect, it appears to use less power (while idling) than just about everything on my phone. And even when I'm actively using it to chat it still takes quite a while to even compete with the other syncing services that are running.

edit: Had it running all day today and didn't really use my phone much, so here's the power usage percentages for my idle phone:

69% Android OS
13% Phone idle
10% Cell standby
7% Display
2% Google+ (and I actually did use this to chat a bit today)

So power usage seems to be negligible for idle Steam

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2012, 19:14.

13. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 18:57 Prez

If anyone owns a Kindle Fire please put feedback in the apps section that you wish to see Steam Mobile offered via the Amazon App store. Customer service told me to do so when I asked them about getting it on my Fire, so I figured the more the merrier. There's always rooting, but all that trouble is for naught when updates are released, never mind the potential instability issues...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 18:47 Nighthawk

theyarecomingforyou - I've noticed that too, the battery part, if anyone else can confirm that would help a lot, I added another google account and updated my AV/security app...so I've got other possible suspects.  

11. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 14:10 Creston

Trixxta wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 03:36:
My point is if steam on IOS supports mobile games (not sure about whether apple has allowed them to do this - seems unlikely) then game developers will presumably be able to bypass the itunes app store and the apple tax and deal with steam directly resulting in lost revenue to apple.

Yeah, that'll never happen. Valve will still have to give Apple their 30%.

Creston

10. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 12:49 Alamar

Trixxta wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 03:36:
My point is if steam on IOS supports mobile games (not sure about whether apple has allowed them to do this - seems unlikely) then game developers will presumably be able to bypass the itunes app store and the apple tax and deal with steam directly resulting in lost revenue to apple.

Similarly if steam on IOS doesnt support mobile games but steam on Android does now or in the future then that's a pretty good reason for gamers to buy an android and not an iphone. An interesting development!

I don't see any way that Steam could sell iOS games... iOS apps need to get provisioning profiles (from apple) to even function on a device... For development, that means you need the unique ID of every device you're going to test on (up to 100 in a year), and for the app store, you need a different one.

I suppose that if Steam iOS includes some 'jail break' functionality, they could make it work, but then, apple would just shut down the app itself...

On the other side, Apple had specfically made it easier for 'content sellers' like book stores and the like, to supply their own content, so that they could specifically bypass paying Apple... Sounds odd, I know : )

Now, if steam were to embed iOS apps into their steam app, that could work too, but that's pretty unlikely for others reasons ; )

Plus really, in the end... Why even use steam to buy iOS apps that cost 99 cents? : ) Sure, some cost more, and it's up the developer to set a sale price/time, and Steam would at least add some 'visibility' to your product at times... (one of the things the app store can suck for).

-Alamar

9. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 08:33 theyarecomingforyou

Seems great, though it seems to drain the battery quite a bit quicker - it's hard to tell. I like the way that you can post either on desktop or mobile and it will show up in both; it all keeps a chat history, which is a feature the desktop is desperately lacking.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 08:00 Armengar

played with the beta. It would only send messages and chat to friends, group chat didnt work. Have they included group chat yet? If so i'll look at it again otherwise its a bit lightweight.

At least it doesnt log you out of your main PC when your mobile is on.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 06:07 Nighthawk

Wow, already so many comments from people that have obviously not tried it yet, has anyone thought to install it??
It's an interface for steam, on your phone, talk to friends, browse games, check announcements, groups, the usual steam social stuff in a mobile app.
Nicely presented too.

6. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 03:36 Trixxta

Similarly if steam on IOS doesnt support mobile games but steam on Android does now or in the future then that's a pretty good reason for gamers to buy an android and not an iphone. An interesting development!

http://www.sydneyvoice.com - Interesting and Funny News, Articles and Videos from all around the Internet

5. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 03:00 xXBatmanXx

Trixxta wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 02:53:
I wonder how apple feel about this? you would expect it would compete directly with their app store

? There is already a competing Android market....whats your point?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 02:53 Trixxta

I wonder how apple feel about this? you would expect it would compete directly with their app store  
http://www.sydneyvoice.com - Interesting and Funny News, Articles and Videos from all around the Internet

3. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 01:02 Bucky

And we're yet another step closer to a single device handling all of our gaming needs. Allow me to drop the phone into a dock that already has a standard PC setup (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers) and I'll be in gaming heaven.

It will also mean I'll have no escape from my addiction. The day gaming heaven arrives I might have to quit cold-turkey in order to survive.

For an early mass release, the Steam phone app runs surprisingly well. Now they just have to add support for games in your library that have Android (or iOS) versions and make them playable (see the current Humble Android Bundle)

2. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Feb 1, 2012, 00:40 StreetPreacher

I don't think selling mobile games is the focus. At least not yet. I think it's more a "see and chat w/ your friends and buy games on the go" kind of thing.

Which I think is AWESOME. Took 'em long enough.

1. Re: Steam for Mobile Released Jan 31, 2012, 23:15 Kedyn

I can't wait until they start dealing in some games. Every mobile game seems so "same" to me - hopefully they'll help breathe some new life into it.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo