Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com

GOG.com announces the addition of stealth/action classic Thief Gold to their roster of DRM-free games:

In THIEF™ GOLD, you have a wide range of equipment at your disposal: a blackjack, a sword, lockpicks, holy water, explosive mines, flash bombs, and seven types of arrows to assist you on 12 treacherous missions in a steampunk-medieval metropolis called the City. The game’s FPS mechanics are a big change from then-traditional DOOMlike “shoot and run” to the unthinkable "it's quite amazing how much fun it can be to avoid action". The game received much critical acclaim (92! Metascore), with reviews ranging from “immersive gaming experience”, through “bloody good”, to the quite expected “my favorite game of all time”.

You don’t have to get your hands dirty to get THIEF™ GOLD from GOG.com’s secret stash for $9.99.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Feb 1, 2012, 09:49 MajorD

Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 23:35:
Haha, I love "taffer". I need to start calling people that.

Yeah, me too. I'll have to start using it again too.....TAFFER! ;-)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Feb 1, 2012, 08:57 rkone

Pineapple Ferguson wrote:
Try these links. Maybe something in there can help.

Thanks, I'll try the suggested fix tonight. I was just playing the movies in media player, which works but definitely takes you out of the game a bit.

I did manage to get ddfix up and running, with updated texture and character meshes, looks great! Spent 2 hours in the prison/mines last night!

32. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 23:35 Cutter

Haha, I love "taffer". I need to start calling people that.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 20:52 MajorD

Suckage wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 18:54:
rkone wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 17:38:
The GoG download runs fine in Win 7 x64 on my i7. The intro and mission briefings don't play though.

I have the same OS but an i5.

@ MajorD
I have tried those fixes and they didn't work. Funnily enough, I simply tried reinstalling the game and restarting my computer: That did the trick! Even the movies work now.

Great news, glad to hear it. Happy thieving Taffer! ;-)

30. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 19:09 Suckage

Yeah, if it gets a treatment similar to the new Deus Ex, it might just be glorious! Crossing my fingers!  

29. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 18:56 Cutter

I cannot effing wait to see Theif 4! Eff!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 18:54 Suckage

rkone wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 17:38:
The GoG download runs fine in Win 7 x64 on my i7. The intro and mission briefings don't play though.

I have the same OS but an i5.

@ MajorD
I have tried those fixes and they didn't work. Funnily enough, I simply tried reinstalling the game and restarting my computer: That did the trick! Even the movies work now.

27. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 18:11 mlw

Ratty wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 12:01:
MajorD wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 11:32:
T1 is in my Top 10 without a doubt.
Return to the Cathedral: The one where you navigate the ruins of the old city crawling with undead, burricks and spiders. Has to be my all time favorite level of any game ever. The atmosphere of that place was sublime.

LOL, I was going to say the same thing. Thief 1 is my favorite game of all time. Return to the Cathedral is IMO the best designed and fun level I have ever played in any game before and after. I have high hopes for the next Thief game.

26. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 18:05 Sho

Here's a nice essay on the Thief engine for the more technically inclined: http://nothings.org/gamedev/thief_rendering.html  

25. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 18:04 MajorD

Suckage wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 17:31:
Alright so I bought it and the game crashes to desktop whenever I try to enter options or load a map. Lets see if the community fixes will make it run...

See my post below. IT worked for me, which I hope it does for everyone else.

Good luck!

24. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 17:53 Pineapple Ferguson

Try these links. Maybe something in there can help.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133946

23. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 17:38 StratX

Hope you have better luck than me.  

22. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 17:38 rkone

Anybody know if this download has been tweaked to play on multi core? I've tried every trick I could find but the Thief Games just won't play.

21. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 17:31 Suckage

Alright so I bought it and the game crashes to desktop whenever I try to enter options or load a map. Lets see if the community fixes will make it run...  

20. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 15:54 jdreyer

Hmm, I have an original CD someone gave me a few years ago, and still haven't gotten around to playing it.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 15:12 JohnBirshire

I had a WoW character named Shalebridge and ran around with a pet named Cradle, every once in awhile someone would get the reference and message me about it.  

18. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 15:09 StratX

Anybody know if this download has been tweaked to play on multi core? I've tried every trick I could find but the Thief Games just won't play.  

17. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 14:39 Pineapple Ferguson

I love this series. The first is probably my favorite, and the final encounter in it is one of my all time favorite in any game.

I actually just played through this last year on Win7 x64 and it worked just fine after some minor tweaking.

16. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 14:39 JAGUART

Remember listening in the shadows as those NPC's would chat away? The game had stealth, dread, atmosphere and personality.  
"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

15. Re: Thief Gold Steals Its Way Onto GOG.com Jan 31, 2012, 14:10 Ratty

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 12:57:
Return to the Cathedral scared the shit out of me. One of the few moments in any game where I was genuinely frightened.
Heh. Games don't scare me. but I do remember one very tense moment where I had to pick a lock under a bright glowing street light right by where a zombie was making his shambling patrol and I had to be very quick before he turned around and saw me. No shadows to hide me there and, yeah, I guess it made me a teensy bit scared.

Another great thing I liked in that level was the opportunity to pit the living against the undead since they hated each other. Tease a horde of zombies into chasing after you right into a group of spiders and burricks, jump out of the way and watch the mayhem unfold. I've always been partial to mayhem by proxy and wish more games would incorporate it.

I am reminded of this because I was playing Skyrim last night and there is one quest where you have to kill the Silver Hand. On the way in you find a werewolf locked in a cage and I tried repeatedly to release him and get him to attack his Silver Hand tormentors but instead he kept getting into a fight with Vilkas (who I could not leave behind out of the way somewhere). It was kind of disappointing I couldn't make it work and I remembered Return to the Cathedral. Those guys were great at giving you what you wanted.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo