Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TERA Region Blocking

Massively has word on another situation brewing in TERA besides the lawsuit filed by NCsoft over the MMORPG. They say the company is currently IP blocking users from half the world, excluding users from Asia, Africa, Russia, and the Middle East, saying: "While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of internet traffic we see from these regions is from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior." Thanks VG247.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 18:55 Cutter

Good on them. I wish all games did this. The only IP range allowed into NA servers should be from western Europe only. Block all of eastern europe and asia, kthnx!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 18:22 dj LiTh

I use peerblock and have the blocklist for china, during a given day with no torrenting my peerblock client SCROLLS chinese ip's, i prolly block over 10,000 requests/hits a day from china just having my computer do nothing at all and sit idle. Go ahead, give it a try....  

11. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 16:09 jacobvandy

Don't let the NAACP catch wind of this! They need something new to be up in arms about now that they conquered the "Avoid the ghetto" app!  

10. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 15:50 Veterator

So they are being geographic-ist.

9. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 14:37 Ruffiana

baltar wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 13:47:
Racist might not be the right word, but its close enough to the attitude they are holding, which is discriminatory.

I know if someone said that shit where I'm working at I'd have their ass fired. Call me cruel or whatever but what they are saying is the same thing as someone saying "Oh well that city is full of hard criminals and has a huge crime rate" simply because there's Africans living there.

No, they're saying that city is full of hard criminals and has a huge crime rate because that geographic portion of the world is full of hard criminals and has a huge crime rate. The color of skin or shape of eyes really has nothing to do with statistics or facts.

8. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 14:14 jdreyer

Despoiler wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 11:46:
Apparently the Tera devs have never heard of a thing called a proxy server.

From the article:

En Masse will not initially block proxies, but "a proxy or server host will be blocked if it becomes a popular tool for criminal behavior," according to the release.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 13:55 Burrito of Peace

baltar wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 13:47:
Racist might not be the right word, but its close enough to the attitude they are holding, which is discriminatory.

I know if someone said that shit where I'm working at I'd have their ass fired. Call me cruel or whatever but what they are saying is the same thing as someone saying "Oh well that city is full of hard criminals and has a huge crime rate" simply because there's Africans living there.

Actually, I think they're saying what they're saying because the data shows that's where a large majority of gold-farming and account thefts originate in.

It's like saying that I'm racist toward black people because I don't want to start a business in Detroit due to its rampant urban decay and sky high crime rate. How the Hell does that makes sense? In short, it doesn't.

Of course it's discriminatory and it's discriminatory in, what they consider, the best interests of their property and their paying customers. That's legal and generally good business sense. Protect and reward your paying customers and do your best to prevent disruptive and damaging behavior by third parties.

6. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 13:47 baltar

5. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 13:19 Burrito of Peace

baltar wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 12:02:
...racist...

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

If only for the simple fact that, in the regions listed, you have people of Caucasian, Arab, Asian, Polynesian and African descent.

So which of those five races are they being racist toward?

4. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 12:24 necrosis

I wish more MMO's did this. Firewall their servers and only allow the markets that the game is officially released in connect.  

3. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 12:02 baltar

"While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of internet traffic we see from these regions is from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior."

Sounds like stereotypical discrimination to me. Hope they lose the lawsuit for being racist pricks.

2. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 11:46 Despoiler

Apparently the Tera devs have never heard of a thing called a proxy server.  

1. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 11:32 spindoctor

They say the company is currently IP blocking users from half the world, excluding users from Asia, Africa, Russia, and the Middle East

Blue, this sentence can be interpreted in 2 ways - the way you intended it and that the region locking excludes people from the listed regions, which is the opposite of what it should be. Maybe change the sentence a bit?

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo