Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2012, 11:28 Beamer

23% of the world's prisoners, though that'd be lower if you count chinese "political detainees."

Still nuts. And while it's in part that we have more violent crime and more gun crime, it's mostly due to the war on drugs.
Locking people up caught with marijuana hasn't been the smartest thing we've ever done.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2012, 11:21 Veterator

Halo wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 20:46:
Nobody ever seems upset that prisoners are used as free (well you and i pay for it) labor for a good amount of corporations and the US military supplies. 5% of the world are Americans 25% of the worlds prisoners are american. The best reintroduction of slave labor if I have ever seen it.

It's not that they are working that concerns me as much as them having an easy supply of labor by just putting a few new laws on the books or enforcing vague ones with a little more stringency or arranging for their labor force to stay longer. That's the most concerning aspect, and I think it covers the next most concerning aspect.....because if they didn't have a readily and potential expanding workforce....the contracts they have wouldn't be possible to maintain.

So obviously second aspect is that they are taking people off the streets, putting them to work...when if they could have gotten the job they were doing in prison while they were free at a prevailing wage (like most government contract work is) then they may not have ended up in jail.

Break the most concerning aspect which affects us all, since we could just as easily be the next "heinous offender" flavor of the week. Then we can address number 2, moving prison labor jobs into the free market like they should be. Because government and corporations generating profit from handling criminals (questionable or legitimate crimes) is like a for profit health system, it leads down path of most profit and not best practices.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2012, 04:05 InBlack

Think of it this way, if there was no cheap labour in China what would stop the US from nuking China to oblivion?????

Phew, that was a close one eh? Thank God for Global Capitalism and cheap ass slave labour!!!

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 22:32 xXBatmanXx

I boycotted them along time ago. I bought a gf a nano once (first and only purchase ever of an Apple item) cause she wanted one - it was total crap and the DRM blows. I won't ever buy another Apple product when there are cheaper and BETTER solutions out there.

I told her there were better options....guess that explains why she is an ex and not my wife!!! hahahahah

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 21:18 Cutter

Halo wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 20:46:
Nobody ever seems upset that prisoners are used as free (well you and i pay for it) labor for a good amount of corporations and the US military supplies. 5% of the world are Americans 25% of the worlds prisoners are american. The best reintroduction of slave labor if I have ever seen it.

Are you effing kidding me? Those assholes don't come close to putting in the kind of work that it costs to keep them. Fuck that noise, if I had my way we'd run Gulag style systems where they work to support themselves or perish. And for capital crimes I'm all for the Chinese style of taking them from the courthouse, shooting them and billing their family for the cost to society. There is a HUGE world of differnce between prison labor and those actually treated worse than prisoners.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 20:46 Halo

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 18:52 Cutter

I know people who love Apple and corps like them. Of course they all hate freedom, humanity and the environment as well.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 18:02 Jay

Quboid wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 15:10:
Apple seems to be the only people who get any heat. Don't Foxconn make stuff for loads of Western companies? I've only ever heard of Apple in connection to their worker policies. As WarpCrow says, if you're going to boycott Apple, there's many others and I doubt Foxconn are unique in their policies either.

I agree that it seems a bit unfair that Apple is the only one that's getting any flak for working conditions in China... However at the same time Apple has almost 100 billion dollars in cash sitting in the bank. Other tech companies aren't doing so well and don't have the luxury.

If anyone can improve the working conditions, Apple can. They have enough money to buy a small country - let alone a factory with reasonable work hours and benefits. As the market leader and company that claims to "think different" and bring about positive social changes (recycling programs, less toxic materials, digital textbooks etc) they should be setting an example for other tech companies to follow.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 17:32 Kitkoan

WarpCrow wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 13:11:
I boycott Apple because I value open, censorship-free platforms and freedom of choice.

This is why I won't buy Apple products.

Well that I keep hearing how people go "Apple can get suppliers in China to give them exclusive deals on supplies because they fund the company in China to build up the factory so they are able to make the hardware". So if this is right then every time someone buys an Apple product, more that could have been invested for technology and IP in North America (Canada or the US) is instead invested in China. This is were the jobs and future of tomorrow are going. (this isn't a anti-China rant, its a looking out for my own country rant).

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 16:22 Veterator

Yes, they should boycott and in protest send half of what they would have spent on an Apple product to some charity in my name and the other half to me.

Phew, good thing I was here to answer this.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 15:39 Beamer

Actually, Foxconn seems to be unusually un-slave-like for much of China.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 15:38 jdreyer

avianflu wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 14:21:
warpcrow I agree but at the same time, the working condition in the foxcon factories are unusually slave-like and it happens there on a huge scale. I am surprised Apple doesnt get more heat from consumers about the issue....
Everyone is too busy playing Angry Birds to get upset. Honestly, I think it's just a lack of awareness. That's why I've been sending this podcast to everyone: Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory.

I'm sure it's not just Apple either. I'm sure the vast majority of consumer electronics are manufactured in China for the very reason that labor is so cheap that it's actually cheaper to pay Chinese workers to do stuff by hand than it is to design and maintain machines to do it. Who knew?

On the other hand, most PC components are made in Taiwan, Germany, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia, under somewhat better conditions (according to my limited research), so there's that.

As for Starbucks, I thought they made an effort at getting fair trade coffee and stuff? Not that working in a coffee plantation is a walk in the park, but at least they're getting somewhat fairly compensated.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 15:22 Red

No. No one should boycott Apple over their use of foreign labor and the question around foreign labor conditions. They have to do what they're doing; it's the only logical way to run their business. Any other choice would be a poor financial decision, and America already excels at operating on poor financial decisions.

If anyone is outraged by these working conditions, they need to influence the American government to impose new trade agreements and import taxes which make utilizing this labor less financially viable. That would make Apple change.

Not that I'm saying changes need to happen. That new Foxconn factory had a long line of people wanting to work there. And I like $500 iPads...

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 15:10 Quboid

avianflu wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 14:21:
warpcrow I agree but at the same time, the working condition in the foxcon factories are unusually slave-like and it happens there on a huge scale. I am surprised Apple doesnt get more heat from consumers about the issue....

Apple seems to be the only people who get any heat. Don't Foxconn make stuff for loads of Western companies? I've only ever heard of Apple in connection to their worker policies. As WarpCrow says, if you're going to boycott Apple, there's many others and I doubt Foxconn are unique in their policies either.

I avoid Apple products for their 1984-esque control. I wouldn't say I boycott them as such, but they don't make anything I'd consider buying. I have a ye olde iPod on my desk because it's an MP3 player, its limitations are expected.

- Quboid

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 14:21 avianflu

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 13:11 WarpCrow

I boycott Apple because I value open, censorship-free platforms and freedom of choice. If you boycott Apple for how they treat their workers and suppliers, I hope for consistency's sake you also boycott Wal-mart, fast food restaurants, Starbucks, etc etc etc. Most major corporations couldn't get where they are now without exploiting somebody somewhere.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2012, 12:39 Optional nickname

Apple consumers, buy Apple products. regular consumers, don't. So, nothing to boycott.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo