Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 16:32 Veterator

Didn't read the article yet, but I am of the opinion that distribution channels are the things media execs are targeting.

Megaupload was used for legitimate business that is providing people with access to things not in the interest of the content industries, especially if they are not getting paid in the process of this distribution.

The more stuff they can have quashed as a byproduct of "copyright infringement" accusations....the better for them. They've already caused other MU-like sites to change the way the distribution works....non-shareable.

If you can give your stuff away for free and still get paid for every thousand hits....and do that with multiple files. You might just make a living, outside of the influence of big media.....until they take down the site you host it on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 16:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Zarkonis wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 14:11:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 11:57:
There's some interesting facts in the article on pirates and the studios, but overall he doesn't really make much of a case. There's certainly a case to be made, but he doesn't seem to understand how to make it. Pointing at things that Thomas Edison did is not an indictment of the current studios unless you can draw the necessary parallels to what is being done today. He didn't do that well at all.

I dunno, I thought he made his case rather well. Did you even read the article? Or just the tl;dr version?
I read most of it, although I did start skimming towards the end. Like I said though, the Edison comparison is extremely tenuous here, and while he keeps trying to make the comparison, he's just not doing it very well. His defense of Kim makes some good points. Is the guy likely to be railroaded? Sure. I don't think any of us believe that the MPAA is not a pack of lying, ruthless assholes that will do whatever they have to do to take down anyone they see as a threat. But he goes overboard in his defense with things like this:

Kim Dotcom’s bail application was turned down Wednesday and Matthias Ortmann’s bail application is expected to be heard Friday, Feb. 3 (it has been postponed once).

Hmmm, which ones have cut the deal, I wonder?

And it will be interesting to see which company employee provided the insider e-mails that the U.S. government is using (selectively and out of context) to help make its case.

He says this as if it's different than any other case out there. Of course they're selective in choosing evidence to present. So is the defense. This is just pointless.

Then there's this:
His criminal record? Actually he has no criminal record. Really.

Kim Schmitz was convicted of computer hacking in Germany in 1998, fined and given a suspended sentence. In 2002, he was convicted of insider trading, fined and placed on probation.

He has never been convicted of a criminal act anywhere else in the world.
That makes no sense. He says he has no criminal record, and then goes on to explain his two felony convictions. Not really doing him a favor there.

Overall it just seems like he's pissed off about the whole situation and venting. The article is overly long and rambling, and could use some serious editing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 15:02 jdreyer

Zarkonis wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 14:11:
There's some interesting facts in the article on pirates and the studios, but overall he doesn't really make much of a case. There's certainly a case to be made, but he doesn't seem to understand how to make it. Pointing at things that Thomas Edison did is not an indictment of the current studios unless you can draw the necessary parallels to what is being done today. He didn't do that well at all.

I dunno, I thought he made his case rather well. Did you even read the article? Or just the tl;dr version?

Really? It struck me as a bit of comparing apples to oranges. Edison was trying to quash rival studios, competitors in the same industry. Kim Dotcom and Megaupload aren't film producers. Although I disagree that megaupload should have been taken down, I have no issue with DCMA takedown notices for MPAA films being served, just like they do on youtube (although there has been some abuse of this). And if intentional copyright infringement is proven against Kim Dotcom, then he should face the consequences. But I hardly see Kim Dotcom as the second coming of Paramount or Warner Bros.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 14:11 Zarkonis

Slow and steady might not win the race at first, until you shoot everyone ahead of you.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 12:17 Ruffiana

So does that mean slavery should be okay too, since most of the country's infrastructure and agricultural industries was built on the backs of slave labor?  

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 11:57 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo