Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Interview

An interview on Gamasutra talks with Jens "Jeb" Bergensten of Mojang about his new role as lead developer on Minecraft, the indie sensation that everyone digs so much. The discuss mod support, additional content, incremental updates, when the game will be done, the possibility of open-sourcing parts of the game, and more.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Minecraft Interview Feb 5, 2012, 17:56 Pankin

Minecraft is all I think about. While I'm at work, I'm thinking about playing. This entire weekend has been spent playing Minecraft. My ass aches. I can't believe I waited so long to play.

The game definitely feels like a thoroughly-fleshed out adventure game and it seems well-balanced. I just chopped up another dozen trees to spider-proof my compound. AGAIN. Little fuckers. I've got a pretty cool working farm: wheat, sugar, pumpkins, pigs, chickens, cows. Looking forward to finding melon seeds so I can add them as well.

I haven't visited any villages or mineshafts yet but I was able to make a compass and a clock. You wouldn't think a clock would be necessary but I'll be damned if it hasn't made all the difference in my productivity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Minecraft Interview Feb 4, 2012, 15:32 Sepharo

Pankin wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 08:32:
Pankin wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 17:28:
Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 17:18:
Most certainly everyone does not like it. Infact many people hate it and Notch!

I've never played it myself so I can't say whether I hate it or not(ch).

Well, what change a handful of days can make!

After seeing this news story, reading the PC Gamer review, and watching one of the tutorials on the you tubes, I've been playing Minecraft non-stop since, even usurping Skyrim.

Since this story is dormant on the boards, no one will see this post unless they look at my profile, I realize. But I felt strongly about sharing.

Back at it... time to make obsidian with a bucket of water!

Hey good to hear. You're in the rare position of being a new player getting addicted to Minecraft after a ton of updates and the official "release". What do you think about the "adventure" bits? XP, mineshafts, hunger, villages, strongholds, etc?

24. Re: Minecraft Interview Feb 4, 2012, 08:32 Pankin

Well, what change a handful of days can make!

After seeing this news story, reading the PC Gamer review, and watching one of the tutorials on the you tubes, I've been playing Minecraft non-stop since, even usurping Skyrim.

Since this story is dormant on the boards, no one will see this post unless they look at my profile, I realize. But I felt strongly about sharing.

Back at it... time to make obsidian with a bucket of water!

23. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 10:22 Beamer

Minecraft would be hard to do in a higher resolution. The blockiness needs a certain style to work, plus it tries to be lower requirements, plus it started as the work of a guy not exactly an artist but with some artistic vision.

It works. It came together coherently. It does not detract for me.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 10:03 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 09:46:
Purposely using 8-bit textures is fricken horrid on the eyes, IMO, and detracts from any "good gameplay" mechanics that the game may have. I don't think setting the bar at late 90's to early 2000's graphics level is an unreasonable requirement. But if that makes me a graphics whore... then so be it.

This is where you lose me, stylized sprites and "8 bit" graphics can be very appealing just like many forms of "modern" graphics technology can be very unappealing. Making blanket statements about them is impossible, it's all about implementation. Do what you feel but I'd suggest you give these things a chance before dismissing them because of a tickbox requirement, you might be surprised by what you find.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

21. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 10:01 Mr. Tact

wtf_man wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 09:46:
I don't think setting the bar at late 90's to early 2000's graphics level is an unreasonable requirement.
This thought process, in general, is fine. But in this specific case it doesn't apply. The graphics are a design decision -- not a function of the capacity of the game. Verno is correct, applying that requirement here is silly.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 09:46 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 09:25:
I understand if you don't like the style but saying that you won't play anything that doesn't push your graphics cards is just silly.

Well "pushing" my graphics card isn't really what I meant.

Let me put it this way... I loved Doom. I won't play Doom on my modern machine. But I'll play the "Classic Doom 3" mod... or even JDoom, which isn't that great, graphically... but still a modern improvement.

This is not like some of the modern indie 2d sidescrollers or platformers being nostalgic. Purposely using 8-bit textures is fricken horrid on the eyes, IMO, and detracts from any "good gameplay" mechanics that the game may have. I don't think setting the bar at late 90's to early 2000's graphics level is an unreasonable requirement. But if that makes me a graphics whore... then so be it.

19. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 09:25 Verno

Graphics do not make a game, some of the most fun I've had in the past five years has involved games that look like SNES games. There is something to be said for the vistas in Uncharted and there is something to be said for gameplay so good that the graphics do not matter.

In this case Minecraft looks like that on purpose, it wasn't crafted by a professional artist and for a long time it was the work of one person. I understand if you don't like the style but saying that you won't play anything that doesn't push your graphics cards is just silly.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

18. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 09:15 wtf_man

Quboid wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 21:43:
I know this is a tired, hipster-esque cliché but the graphics really don't matter. A minute into trying it, I didn't notice the blocky graphics. Also, he poo-pooed that voxel engine because he had legitimate concerns about the technology. I don't know how he responded and maybe he was a douche, but measured criticism is reasonable.

Still, you're entitled to contribute to the forum.

Normally I would agree with that, but personally there is a point where I draw that line... and 1990 8-bit textured blocks, just looks like "no-effort" these days, and I wouldn't pay a dime for it. My graphics card is 5 years old, and it would puke if it had to put that through it's rendering pipelines.

He may have had legitimate concerns about the technology, or even the Aussie's claims... but as a "Professional Developer" he needs to STFU and concentrate on his own project instead of poo-pooing others. He also ain't no "Carmack" (whatever that's worth these days), so his "technology opinion" in the first place, isn't worth much. Anyway... the point is... he came off like an ass, IMO.

And for those who can't see the difference... there is a huge difference between a "Professional Developer" openly and publicly bagging on someone elses project, and anonymous community forum members bagging on games, developers or publishers.

17. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 07:50 Dmitri_M

You're at the start of every thread

being a bitch

it must be your thang.

16. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 03:08 Sir Graves

HUGE Minecraft fan here, and I like Notch as well. This story is very relevant for me. I definitely dig it.

P.S. Haters gonna hate and stuff. What else is new and who really cares?

15. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 30, 2012, 00:40 MisterBenn

I think Minecraft's a great achievement, even if they did get a bit lazy and promise/start a lot of features and then not complete them. You need to be open to the type of gameplay but that's rarely not the case with any game, and at the budget price that most people paid I would say it easily contains value for money.

Interestingly though, the frequent blog updates kind of backfire sometimes as they provoke expectation and make it feel easy to complain back at Mojang. If they add new game mechanics in an update a swathe of users complain "I can't believe those fuckers don't add more content!" If they add more content, a different swathe of users will cry "There are hundreds of modders that can make new content you fuckers, what we need is new features we can flesh out!" Mojang are far from perfect but I think sometimes they can't win.

P.S. Did you notice that commercial games get cheaper over time and indie games get more expensive over time? Quite an odd place to end up.

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

14. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 23:21 Dades

space captain wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 21:23:
its been in development for years, but very little has been significantly done to it.. i used to think it had potential, but i dont think anyone on the team gives a shit about making it happen

npcs, towns, quests, skills, bosses, etc were all teased and promptly forgotten

They seem to like introducing new features but never do anything with them, it's really frustrating that the community has to make up for their shortcomings.

13. Re: Steam top 10 Jan 29, 2012, 22:48 Kastagir

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 21:38:
Kastagir wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 14:53:
Skyrim's still on top...and chickens still report crimes!

They never did. If someone sees you harming a "valuable animal," then you're in trouble. Just don't get caught.

Chickens, horses and domesticated dogs will report minor crimes, such as theft. Don't believe me? Go to Riverwood and steal something in front of Stump the dog. You will be rewarded for your efforts with a brand new Whiterun bounty of 5 gold. This is the same issue that Todd Howard joked about finding (and fixing) prior to the game's release back in October. Happy gaming!

12. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 21:43 Teddy

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 21:36:
wtf_man wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 18:47:
In any case... I have zero interest in Minecraft.

Guess what! Notch doesn't care. Nor does anyone else here. Get over yourself. That self-important attitude belongs on Facebook, along with all the other conceited dullards who think anyone else gives a fuck about what they think.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Guess what! wtf_man doesn't care. Nor does anyone else here. Get over yourself. That self-important attitude belongs on Facebook, along with all the other conceited dullards who think anyone else gives a fuck about what they think.

/mockery

Just so I understand right... What he thinks isn't welcome here as far as you're concerned, but what you think is just fine to post here all you want? Newsflash, you just posted your own self-important and conceited opinion.

/insert obligatory "Don't presume to speak for me" comment as well.

Needless to say, get over yourself, hypocrite.

11. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 21:43 Quboid

I don't have to play it to see that it is visually way below acceptable graphics standards for me... hence "hate it" (I guess) for that reason.

As for Notch... he has said some asshole things... like poo-pooing that voxel engine that some Aussies are working on. It kind of makes it look like his success (whether it is deserved or not) has gone to his head.

/shrug

I know this is a tired, hipster-esque cliché but the graphics really don't matter. A minute into trying it, I didn't notice the blocky graphics. Also, he poo-pooed that voxel engine because he had legitimate concerns about the technology. I don't know how he responded and maybe he was a douche, but measured criticism is reasonable.

Still, you're entitled to contribute to the forum.

- Quboid

10. Re: Steam top 10 Jan 29, 2012, 21:38 ForgedReality

Kastagir wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 14:53:
Skyrim's still on top...and chickens still report crimes!

They never did. If someone sees you harming a "valuable animal," then you're in trouble. Just don't get caught.

9. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 21:36 ForgedReality

Guess what! Notch doesn't care. Nor does anyone else here. Get over yourself. That self-important attitude belongs on Facebook, along with all the other conceited dullards who think anyone else gives a fuck about what they think.

8. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 21:23 space captain

its been in development for years, but very little has been significantly done to it.. i used to think it had potential, but i dont think anyone on the team gives a shit about making it happen

npcs, towns, quests, skills, bosses, etc were all teased and promptly forgotten

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 18:47 wtf_man

I don't have to play it to see that it is visually way below acceptable graphics standards for me... hence "hate it" (I guess) for that reason.

As for Notch... he has said some asshole things... like poo-pooing that voxel engine that some Aussies are working on. It kind of makes it look like his success (whether it is deserved or not) has gone to his head.

/shrug

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo