Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 28, 2012, 08:42 Tigger

You mistakenly think that Microsoft wants a distinction between the two. They don't want you to rent a game or buy it used, they want you to buy it new.

I don't think Microsoft is pushing this, I think its coming from the publishers. They have been bitching about the used market for years. I guess they are not big fans of capitalism!

But to that point, you are correct - they don't really care if its rented or used, they want you to buy a copy of it since thats where they make money.

I don't see how this is Microsoft's problem to address in the console since its really a problem the publishers need to solve.

Besides, this is total crap anyway. It would be like OEMs preventing PCs from running pirated versions of Windows.

Or even better, like Apple preventing beige-box PC from running OS X.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 18:47 nin

Yes, but they can be sold used, you just have to get a code when you get it home.

For now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 18:43 Agent.X7

DarkCntry wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 18:29:
So tell me, how would the console detect "used" and not something like "rented"?

You mistakenly think that Microsoft wants a distinction between the two. They don't want you to rent a game or buy it used, they want you to buy it new.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 18:39 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 18:00:
All Sony would have to do to grab a majority share of the market would be to NOT do this.

Aren't they already shipping games with one time use codes?

Why yes, yes they are. I doubt they're going to magically give that up, out of the kindness of their hearts.

Yes, but they can be sold used, you just have to get a code when you get it home. It makes the used game worth less, but not worth nothing.

Also, the pass code in Uncharted 3 was only for online play. If you just want a used game to play the single player, you don't even need it.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 18:29 DarkCntry

So tell me, how would the console detect "used" and not something like "rented"?

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 18:00 nin

All Sony would have to do to grab a majority share of the market would be to NOT do this.

Aren't they already shipping games with one time use codes?

Why yes, yes they are. I doubt they're going to magically give that up, out of the kindness of their hearts.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 17:33 Agent.X7

So, let me get this straight:

I can't use used games on the system.
I have to pay a premium for new games.
I have to pay you monthly to play online.

Um, this sound like a big nail in Xbox's coffin. All Sony would have to do to grab a majority share of the market would be to NOT do this. They already have free online play going for them over Microshaft.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 16:16 avianflu

I buy virtually all my console games used on Amazon for less than 15bucks each. Amazon itself is the reseller and sells them in "like new" condition -- no scratches on them ever.

It makes console gaming cheap cheap cheap if you dont care about playing the latest game upon release.

Truly and sincerely -- I have zero interest in paying 60 USA bucks plus tax for any new console game. MS must hate me and my kind.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 15:32 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 12:56:
Used games at GameStop are 10% off. It's a complete joke. The argument that anyone needs to save that 10%, especially given how quickly prices fall on their own, doesn't hold water.

The argument that some people need the $10-$15 the game is purchased back for (and then sold for $55) is more valid.

That's why you don't go to Gamestop and instead visit independent stores. You get way more than $10 for a week old game, and they resell it for a great % off the new price.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 14:27 CrimsonPaw

I can afford new game prices, but I refuse to pay $60 for something that, to me, doesn't contain a $60 value. For example, God of War is a great series, but there has not been a game in that series that warrants me putting down $60 for it; to me, $20 is the "value" point.

On the other hand, I was happy to give $60 for Skyrim and will give another $15 - $20 when DLC comes out. To me it's all about value justification (which is derived from a cost to enjoyment time sink ratio)

Given that, if there is a system that will no play used games it'd better have a HELL of a sliding cost scale (much like Steam currently has) because there's not many people that are willing to give up $60 if they can't use credit from past purchases - just my $.02.

~~Crim~~

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 14:08 Cutter

planar_rift wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 13:34:
Xbox...May Not Play Used Games
Please do this.

Sincerely,
PC Enthusiast

Hell, when I saw that headline I heard Sony getting wood from here begging MS to be that stupid!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 13:34 planar_rift

Xbox...May Not Play Used Games
Please do this.

Sincerely,
PC Enthusiast

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 13:29 Bard

Beamer wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 12:56:
Used games at GameStop are 10% off. It's a complete joke. The argument that anyone needs to save that 10%, especially given how quickly prices fall on their own, doesn't hold water.

The argument that some people need the $10-$15 the game is purchased back for (and then sold for $55) is more valid.

Bugger gamestop - this would swap people selling between each other.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 12:56 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 12:41 Verno

Alamar wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 12:39:
Oh don't worry; like with Steam, prices will always be cheaper (lol) becuase of less piracy...

-Alamar

Hah, well played sir.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 12:39 Alamar

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 10:40:
Sources: The Next Xbox Will Play Blu-Ray, May Not Play Used Games.

Yeah if they do that then they really don't get their target audience at all. A lot of people simply can't afford many newer games at $60 a pop without trading in older ones, particularly an economy where luxuries are already under scrutiny.

Oh don't worry; like with Steam, prices will always be cheaper (lol) becuase of less piracy...

SirKnight wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 10:45:
Most people I know can not afford a new game price except every once and a while. I know there are a lot of people like that, especially these days so not being able to play used games will not go over at all.

Even though I can pay full price, most of the time I do not for the fact that I find 90%+ games these days are not worth the asking price. So if they do this, I will not buy the new system, ever. The Alienware X51 looks way more interesting than any new console anyway.

Aren't most used game sales $5 off the full price? That's all I ever saw (on new games), and wondered who the hell would buy those? Apparently I'm the unique flower, because it's popular as hell to save so little on an unguaranteed product... Course now you can argue the shrinkwrapped version is no longer guaranteed (both because they won't take back opened stuff, and stores like Gamestop open and re-shrinkwrap stuff anyways).

-Alamar

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 12:34 Beamer

I would be shocked. We're one generation away from this not mattering because everything is digital.

I do not think Microsoft is dumb enough to be the first to do this with discs. Sony? Definitely. But not Microsoft. They know they have little good will to begin with, and taking something without giving something isn't going to go over well. Why risk it when you can wait out this problem?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 12:11 Flatline

I believe that skirts dangerously close to fair use violations.

Yeah, yeah... licenses and all that, the idea that I can't loan a disk to my friend, or take my game over to a friend's house to play, strikes me as basically bad business.

I'll believe it when I see it. I've seen reliable Kotaku industry sources say all kinds of shit that doesn't come true.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 11:08 Ozmodan

This is why I don't play console games and also why pirated software is such a problem. You would think someone would quit putting their head in the sand and come up with a reasonable solution instead of trying to outlaw used game sales.

Personally any license should be transferable including software. Could be that some legislature will have to intervene in this problem.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2012, 10:45 SirKnight

Most people I know can not afford a new game price except every once and a while. I know there are a lot of people like that, especially these days so not being able to play used games will not go over at all.

Even though I can pay full price, most of the time I do not for the fact that I find 90%+ games these days are not worth the asking price. So if they do this, I will not buy the new system, ever. The Alienware X51 looks way more interesting than any new console anyway.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo