Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April

GOG.com announces plans for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, following in the footsteps of the acclaimed Enhanced Edition of the first installment in their action/RPG series. They say the Enhanced Edition is due on April 17th. that anyone who buys The Witcher 2 between now and then gets the upgrade for free, and as further incentive, that the game is currently on sale for 15% off. Here's word on the new edition:

New major adventures set in new locations. These consist of an underground system of chambers beneath Loc Muine and a temperate coniferous forest in the Loc Muine mountains, and a secret cave passage. These new adventures will add several hours of story-based gameplay to the game.

New major characters to the Witcher story. One of them is Brigida Papebrock Dame. This noble woman comes from the Temerian family Papebrock and is a 30 year old lady-in-waiting of the Temerian court. The other characters are secret--for now!

All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn. BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 30, 2012, 08:55 Verno

Satoru wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 22:25:
No offense but this flies in the face of how the game actually is on the PC.

The forced door openings were on the original Witcher, and then you got a loading screen. Again what's the difference as you have to transition between internal and external environments no matter what.

I'd challenge you to look at even the basic inventory screen and attempt to navigate that with a dpad without gonig bonkers. Youd have to shift focus from 3 different areas (item sort, item selection, character model selection)

You could obviously see that Skyrim was based around a dpad type interface. But the Witcher is obviously designed with a mouse in mind.

Again no sorry, the interface is clearly multiplatform. The inventory sorting, quest tracking, action binding and so on are all very multiplatform in nature. There is very little about The Witcher 2 that is clearly PC only. None of that makes it a bad game but calling it a PC only title when they made numerous and obvious concessions to multiplatform development is a bit disingenuous.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 28, 2012, 15:41 Jerykk

And to suggest it's a console port for not including 'numerical bindings' for dialogue is bollocks; games stopped doing that because it looks shit and breaks immersion.

What? How exactly does that break immersion? You still see text floating on the screen. Adding a number in front of each line doesn't make any difference in terms of immersion. It just makes a difference in terms of usability. The reason most RPGs stopped doing it is because most RPGs are designed for consoles these days and consoles don't have number keys. Recent RPGs designed specifically for the PC (like the original Witcher and Divinity 2) had numerical bindings for dialogue options.

As I mentioned before, Witcher 2 was clearly designed with a future console port in mind. That doesn't make it a bad game. I thought it was a great game. But if you really can't see the console-centric design choices in the UI and combat, you must be in denial.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2012, 15:53.

37. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 28, 2012, 09:58 Bumpy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 06:43:
They dramatically improved the interface, accessibility and aesthetics and yet people still moan. PC developers can't win. If you release a PC game afterwards, you get moaned at for releasing a console port; if you release the PC game a year before the console version... then it's still a console port.

No doubt it's improved for gamepad use and because of that, it suffers for mouse/kb use i.e. primary PC use.

No one is saying it's a console port. The complaint is, it is not a solely designed for PC game like TW1 was. Crysis 2, same disease.

Making a 1 size fits all product does not make it custom tailored.

36. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 28, 2012, 06:43 theyarecomingforyou

The Witcher 2 was a PC game through-and-through. Yes, it supported controllers and had features to assist with users wishing to play with them but decent games have - depending on genre - supported joysticks / controllers / wheels for years. And to suggest it's a console port for not including 'numerical bindings' for dialogue is bollocks; games stopped doing that because it looks shit and breaks immersion. And it's stupid to criticise the interface when the previous original PC-only game was a complete clusterfuck in the department - if The Witcher is what a PC game inventory looks like I'd rather all games were designed for consoles.

They dramatically improved the interface, accessibility and aesthetics and yet people still moan. PC developers can't win. If you release a PC game afterwards, you get moaned at for releasing a console port; if you release the PC game a year before the console version... then it's still a console port. Appreciate the game for what it is - one of the best RPGs in the past decade.

I really feel sorry for the people always moaning about every little thing around here. Why can't you just enjoy your life instead of trying to find the negative in everything? It's people like you guys that are the reason PC developers move over to consoles, as you bitch and moan about everything and make ridiculous leaps to attribute everything to dumbing down for consoles.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

35. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 23:44 Bumpy

Satoru wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 22:25:
But the Witcher is obviously designed with a mouse in mind.

No, it really wasn't. I'll just quote Jerykk from last June who wrote it well....

No surprise about Witcher 2 coming out on X360. The Quick Time Events, radial menus, circular button prompts, scrolling text list inventory, paraphrased dialogue options without any numerical bindings and soft lock targeting system were all clearly designed with console ports in mind. Still, I suspect they're going to have to reduce the texture resolution and full-screen effects quite a bit to get the game to fit within the X360's 512MB of memory.

34. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 22:25 Satoru

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 16:15:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 15:28:
The Witcher 2 was designed and released as a PC *only* title originally, and will have a port *to* a console (360) in April.

Sorry, but you are obviously confused or mis-informed.

One look at the user interface in The Witcher 2 makes that statement iffy. They obviously had multiplatform release in mind when making many aspects of the game - the forced door opening sections for texture loads, the user interface and so on.

It's a great game but it definitely got whacked with the console stick a little bit during development.

No offense but this flies in the face of how the game actually is on the PC.

The forced door openings were on the original Witcher, and then you got a loading screen. Again what's the difference as you have to transition between internal and external environments no matter what.

I'd challenge you to look at even the basic inventory screen and attempt to navigate that with a dpad without gonig bonkers. Youd have to shift focus from 3 different areas (item sort, item selection, character model selection)

You could obviously see that Skyrim was based around a dpad type interface. But the Witcher is obviously designed with a mouse in mind.

33. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 18:24 eRe4s3r

Wellllll... one could also read that as "only those who buy NOW up to THEN get it free" Hence my mentioning this specifically... ^^  

32. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 16:49 nin

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 16:43:
If you have the game now already its a free-patch.. least that what i heard

Yes, that's what Blue says above.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

31. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 16:43 eRe4s3r

If you have the game now already its a free-patch.. least that what i heard  

30. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 16:25 Dev

avianflu wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 16:21:

Folks that gameplay trailer was incredible. I am not easily impressed and wow.

thanks for that link!

NOT gameplay. Pre-rendered

29. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 16:21 avianflu

Folks that gameplay trailer was incredible. I am not easily impressed and wow.

thanks for that link!

28. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 16:15 Verno

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 15:28:
The Witcher 2 was designed and released as a PC *only* title originally, and will have a port *to* a console (360) in April.

One look at the user interface in The Witcher 2 makes that statement iffy. They obviously had multiplatform release in mind when making many aspects of the game - the forced door opening sections for texture loads, the user interface and so on.

It's a great game but it definitely got whacked with the console stick a little bit during development.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

27. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 15:28 Mordecai Walfish

Bumpy wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 09:20:
I too am waiting for the $10 price point. Their decision to design for console first is my reason why.

26. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 13:38 JediPunisher

Smart move...
Free Enhanced Editions upgrades = happy customers = lower piracy rates.

25. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 10:24 Shok

I almost bought the boxed Witcher 2 at Target yesterday for $30. That's about the lowest I've seen it at brick and mortar stores. I didn't pull the trigger though; got too many other games unplayed and not in a hurry to play this one. Now I can wait until this enhanced edition is out and on a steam sale or something.  

24. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 09:48 necrosis

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 23:58:
I really enjoyed the first book.
I had never pissed myself laughing reading a book till I found out what the "Last Wish" really was.

As for the **FREE** enhanced edition I will be buying it again on Steam. I already have the CE version from its original launch. These guys deserve the money.

23. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 09:36 Dev

VogelAP wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 09:14:
ALSO: Blue's article says "anyone who buys The Witcher 2 between now and then [April 17] gets the upgrade for free". Does that include those of us who pre-ordered the game before it was released?
I imagine so. They did the same thing for original witcher and the enhanced/directors versions. My steam copies were upgraded free. Probably stuff just getting lost in translation, I'm sure they meant anyone who has purchased the game prior to that date. And actually, if its anything like witcher one, after that date it will be included on all future copies.

This is a company that has proven that they good care of their customers.

22. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 09:36 Iurand

VogelAP wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 09:14:
Wow... What a great trailer!

Who does those trailers/cinematics? They're amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1313617/

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 09:20 Bumpy

I too am waiting for the $10 price point. Their decision to design for console first is my reason why.  

20. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition in April Jan 27, 2012, 09:14 VogelAP

Wow... What a great trailer!

Who does those trailers/cinematics? They're amazing.

I remember when I-WAR (INDEPENDENCE WAR) came out and it had a 14-minute rendered opening cinematic. The developers created the entire cinematic -- I remember reading that they'd shut down their development environment and launch (I think) Lightwave before going home at night and letting it render overnight!

ALSO: Blue's article says "anyone who buys The Witcher 2 between now and then [April 17] gets the upgrade for free". Does that include those of us who pre-ordered the game before it was released?

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo