Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I normally hate the two week gap between the end of the NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl, but it's that much worse when I have a rooting interest. I may need to investigate hibernation between now and then.

Hibernating Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: This is the Only Level 3.
Aliens Defense.
Stories: Pat Sajak Admits to Hosting Wheel of Fortune Drunk.
Wounded soldier reunites with his war puppy, Smoke. Thanks brother19.
Science: Researchers suggest a proximate cause of cancer.
Scientists reveal how females store sperm for decades. Monica?
Pairing masks and hand washing could drastically slow spread of pandemic flu.
Media: Frog catches ants on iPhone. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Timmy O'Riley by L. Hadron and the Colliders.
A teens introduction to an LP record.
The Funnies: The Simpsons Meets Skyrim.
Follow-up: Novel material takes 3D ‘invisibility cloak’ a step closer.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2012, 14:53 Enahs

Acleacius wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 23:52:
Enahs wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 09:41:
Now off the top of my head. But I suspect that if you contact the Texas Department of State Health Services or Texas Health Assessment and Toxicology Program they might help you.

Not, I know from experience that Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia all do this. So I am just inferring from the fact that of those states are the only states I have been involved in their "State Health Lab", and they all performed these analysis. I could be totally wrong, but there is so much government extra funding to these programs to check for those things in the water supply system; and it is literally only software and data analysis changes and throwing in a few more internal standards.

No worries, thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure it's the EPA. Actually funding has been cut since 2001 and most federal agencies can't do their job. Of course, this is intentional. How else could they convince the uneducated public, government agencies are useless and need to be privatized.

As Sepharo pointed out, that was horribly typed. But I blame auto correct on my phone!

While it is true that a lot of the funding you speak of has been cut; local state health agencies have adapted.

Again, through the experience of just the state laboratories I have had experience with; they have found ways to include everything that might have been cut from other agencies under the auspices of anti-terrorism funding and such. Much of the things before 2001 that were funded by the EPA to check for in the state of Arkansas were quickly brought under the funding of the CDC and Home Land Security funding.

The things they keep an eye on has gone up, tremendously. Just under different funding is all.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2012, 23:52 Acleacius

Enahs wrote on Jan 27, 2012, 09:41:
Now off the top of my head. But I suspect that if you contact the Texas Department of State Health Services or Texas Health Assessment and Toxicology Program they might help you.

Not, I know from experience that Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia all do this. So I am just inferring from the fact that of those states are the only states I have been involved in their "State Health Lab", and they all performed these analysis. I could be totally wrong, but there is so much government extra funding to these programs to check for those things in the water supply system; and it is literally only software and data analysis changes and throwing in a few more internal standards.

No worries, thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure it's the EPA. Actually funding has been cut since 2001 and most federal agencies can't do their job. Of course, this is intentional. How else could they convince the uneducated public, government agencies are useless and need to be privatized.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2012, 19:11 Sepharo

How'd you manage to swap your "Now" and "Not" like that?  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2012, 09:41 Enahs

Acleacius wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 23:48:
Enahs wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 22:26:
Pretty much every state checks for those "house hold chemicals" and pharmaceuticals, etc, in the water supply; before processing (in the lakes and water reserves, etc).
Ahh, didn't know..could have sworn they only test for lead, arsenic and ...(doh, a third I'm drawing a blank atm). Any idea where I can get the measurements for Texas in regards to fertilizer, pharmaceuticals, and household chemicals?

- W. C. Fields

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2012, 03:47 Bhruic

Science if full of approximations and limitations. I am a scientists. I do not believe the earth is flat. But, over a small enough range, for piratical purposes the earth can be treated as flat. We make simplifications all the time in science.

I have no real point here, I am just saying; I can say the earth is flat and depending on my perspective and application I am correct within acceptable tolerance.

Sure, and 2 + 2 = 5 is true for sufficiently large values of 2. But I don't think that's what we should be teaching kids in school.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2012, 00:58 Ant

Blue, what will we do if you hibernate for that long?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2012, 00:46 Acleacius

GOP lawmaker: Virtually impossible to get AIDS through heterosexual sex
See delusional or intent to delude, absolutely no credible evidence (even half ass credible) of what he is saying. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what political side they're on, sex or race it would still be delusional.

Even sent Blue links from fakenews, when they post something true or accurate. In case your wondering it was about two stories out of thousand.

At least when I send something like HuffPo if they made a mistake they retract or correct it immediately, unlike other hack journalism sites.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 23:48 Acleacius

Enahs wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 22:26:
Pretty much every state checks for those "house hold chemicals" and pharmaceuticals, etc, in the water supply; before processing (in the lakes and water reserves, etc).
Ahh, didn't know..could have sworn they only test for lead, arsenic and ...(doh, a third I'm drawing a blank atm). Any idea where I can get the measurements for Texas in regards to fertilizer, pharmaceuticals, and household chemicals?

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 23:36 Acleacius

Enahs wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 22:24:
Science if full of approximations and limitations. I am a scientists. I do not believe the earth is flat. But, over a small enough range, for piratical purposes the earth can be treated as flat. We make simplifications all the time in science.

I have no real point here, I am just saying; I can say the earth is flat and depending on my perspective and application I am correct within acceptable tolerance.
I would suggest there's a big difference between what you and I are talking about.

I'll guess it could help do equations or statistical analysis. However I bet you don't avoid traveling on vehicles, boats, trains or any other standard form of transportation because you fear falling off the earth. More to the point a flat earther is still deluded because of their belief system based of fear and ignorance, not based on knowledge or statistical facts as a scientist.

Most everyone has believe something dumb, wrong or false (no one's born with knowledge/facts, afaik). Yet when someone believes something without a single shred of creditable evidence and all evidence proves it false, then it becomes a neurosis.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 22:26 Enahs

Acleacius wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 22:03:

Edit: Me personally, I blame the toxic water (water standards in the US don't test for house hold chemicals or pharmaceuticals), toxic air and food supply (most meats, cheeses and milks are full of steroid and antibiotics).

- W. C. Fields

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 22:24 Enahs

Acleacius wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 22:03:
If a person believes the earth is flat

- W. C. Fields

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 22:03 Acleacius

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 20:53:
Heh. Well, I think this is just explaining one possible reason why lower IQ people might be racist. Racism aside, I think that conservative dogma, with its simpler, less changing message is perhaps more appealing to folks seeking a simple message to explain the world... An example on the liberal side is the belief that vaccines cause autism, which is still widely held, despite not only being widely disproven in study after study, but the original study which claimed it was shown to have falsified data.
Maybe... but I would never call it conservatism, as it would seem like an insult to great (not claiming without flaw anymore than I would a great liberal) conservatives like General Eisenhower.

I'm gonna disagree on the cognitive dissonance and go with delusion. If a person believes the earth is flat, makes all his decisions based on this and raises his childeren under these mental abuses. It most often causes harm to them and those around them, it's not just some difference of opinion. The very definition, believes something that is factually provably false. It can range from being dangerous to being benign such as a an superstition. There are tons of examples, most talking points as are coded words are intended to delude.

In regards to autism and liberals, I've never heard it classified as such. I have seen many conservatives, who believe this as well. Aamof I have tried to point out to many people who fear flu shots because of mercury, it was removed from vaccines back in 1999 (iirc). The funny versions are hearing people say they got the full flu after getting the shot. As if they can measure when and if they get an airborne or by touch virus. As if they were put in a bubble after getting the shot, no restaurant, grocery store, movies...nothing.

Edit: Me personally, I blame the toxic water (water standards in the US don't test for house hold chemicals or pharmaceuticals), toxic air and food supply (most meats, cheeses and milks are full of steroid and antibiotics).

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 21:51 space captain

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 20:53:
An example on the liberal side is the belief that vaccines cause autism, which is still widely held, despite not only being widely disproven in study after study, but the original study which claimed it was shown to have falsified data.

damn your IQ must be incredible

Go forth, and kill!

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 20:53 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 19:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 17:53:
Dang. Missed Skyrim at GreenMan for $29.99......

FUCK! Are you shitting me???

Dammit! And I just looked at their site the other day, too...

Yea, it went up early this AM, probably sold out pretty quick. Saw it via gamerdeals....I was sleeping....I should hvae checked sites when I got home this AM, but I was wiped. Went right to bed. Which is probably good, I would have NOT sleppt. hehehehhe

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 20:53 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 18:38:
Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 16:54:
Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked

Yet another study that confirms what we've known all along.
Saw that on Live Science, but didn't send to Blue, since it might be too polarizing. It goes a long way to explaining why you can never have a factual discussion, with these folks.

Heh. Well, I think this is just explaining one possible reason why lower IQ people might be racist. Racism aside, I think that conservative dogma, with its simpler, less changing message is perhaps more appealing to folks seeking a simple message to explain the world.

As for having a factual argument, it doesn't matter if someone is intelligent or not. I think what you're experiencing there is cognitive dissonance. When the science doesn't fit the belief system (i.e. evolution or climate change) the person faced with the dilemma can either modify the belief system to fit the science or vice versa. Often, the science gets rejected, regardless of the strength of the scientific argument being presented. Although I used conservative examples here, this kind of thing can happen to any belief system. An example on the liberal side is the belief that vaccines cause autism, which is still widely held, despite not only being widely disproven in study after study, but the original study which claimed it was shown to have falsified data.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 19:27 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 17:53:

FUCK! Are you shitting me???

Dammit! And I just looked at their site the other day, too...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. work it Jan 26, 2012, 19:00 space captain

jdreyer wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 18:38:
In the article though, the author of the study made the point that oversimplification by lower IQ people can work both ways: Conservative: "The world is a dangerous place" or "That person is different from me, thus dangerous", or Liberal: "Everyone is a genius in their own way".

Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 18:38 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 17:35:

I wasn't expecting Yahoo to post such garbage....I expect something like that from huff post....

Actually, it was published originally by LiveScience. Whether or not it is garbage remains to be seen, as the study itself is not available, only the discussion of it. These kinds of things tend to vet pretty well, however.

In the article though, the author of the study made the point that oversimplification by lower IQ people can work both ways: Conservative: "The world is a dangerous place" or "That person is different from me, thus dangerous", or Liberal: "Everyone is a genius in their own way".

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 18:38 Acleacius

Saw that on Live Science, but didn't send to Blue, since it might be too polarizing. It goes a long way to explaining why you can never have a factual discussion, with these folks.

Speaking of political.
MegaUpload indictment strikingly similar to Napster rhetoric, but this time DOJ does the dirty work.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 17:53 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo