Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall

Turbine announces Riders of Rohan, a new expansion for The Lord of the Rings Online coming to the free-to-play MMORPG via digital distribution this autumn. This will carry "an increased level cap, the vast plains of Rohan including iconic locations such as Amon Hen and Fangorn Forest, the new Mounted Combat system and much more." Here's a feature list:

• Experience the Riders of Rohan – Join with the Rohirrim and ride across the sprawling Plains of Rohan; witness the breaking of the Fellowship at Amon Hen; forge alliances with the Ents of Fangorn; and aid Éomer, adopted son of Théoden, as he seeks to protect his homeland from the growing Shadow.
  • Introducing Mounted Combat – Ride into Combat atop your loyal War-steed as you defend the people of Rohan from the forces of Isengard and Mordor. Customize your War-steed’s armor and level its skills over time to aid you in mounted defense of King Theoden’s lands. Mount your steed and gather your fellows to fight against Warbands, contingents of roving warg riders that have been scouted all over the Plains of Rohan! It falls to you to head off and defeat this new threat before they over take the land.
  • Advance to level 85 – Continue your legend in the next chapter of The Lord of the Rings Online. Experience new adventures in the epic story, and gain new skills and deeds as you face new challenges on your journey to 85!

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 26, 2012, 10:27 fatguy

I just started playing this again on a free account, ive mainly been doing monster play and doing pvp raids every night, fun on the bun! Hope this expansion expands pvp play, I want to ride a warg!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 26, 2012, 00:49 space captain

eunichron wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 19:18:
I claim willing suspension of disbelief and self-denial to be the culprit.

i had the good fortune of dying about 2 hours walk from my spawn point.. back when you had to loot your own corpse or lose your stuff

i said to myself "ah ha!! this shit is fucking annoying!"

Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 26, 2012, 00:35 Endo

Alamar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 19:02:

As if grinding for gear isn't bad enough, at least we don't have to grind for skills and abilities...

-Alamar
Obviously you've never played GW, but I'm still baffled just how you imagine people grinding for skills and abilities.

But that aside, let me assure you, there's no grinding for skills and abilities in GW. There's normal skills and elite skills. Normal skills can be purchased from various NPCs. Finding the NPC that has the skill you're looking for can be a bit of an adventure, but once you've found him, well, there you go. Elite skills are generally acquired by killing a special boss mob that has the skill, then capturing it from him. I could go on in detail about how grinding (and the lack thereof) works in GW, but this is not the right place for that.

23. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 20:57 Styopa

eunichron wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 15:28:
"Grinding" is a part of MMOs. That is how you keep people playing, requiring X amount of time to receive Y reward. ...
I hope GW2 can fix that, but I'm remaining cynical about it.

The interesting thing is that GW2 *doesn't* need to do this.
Other MMOs need to keep you playing to keep you paying.
GW2 - you've paid, you're in and done. They have no need to drag your experience out except insofar as it's actually entertaining and rewarding.

I see LOTS of people hoping about GW2. I played WoW for 7 years, and had two accounts. I have heard the term tossed around for years, about AoC, WAR, etc, etc...but seriously, given the slope of WoW subscriptions, GW2 has the *potential* to be a WoW killer.

22. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 20:47 Steelcamp

So when do I get to really build an Orc, Goblin, Ogre instead on this nerfed monster play? dont get me wrong I am glad the creep faction is there but why not a full story line like on the freep side????  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

21. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 20:15 KezClone

I love LotRO. I'm spread thin on my time these days though--so many great games and free-to-plays.

20. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 19:18 eunichron

space captain wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 19:04:
As I was playing SW:TOR over the weekend I had a slight epiphany and I realized how tired I was of this system.

had that "epiphany" back in 1999, during EQ1

better late than never i guess

I claim willing suspension of disbelief and self-denial to be the culprit.

19. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 19:04 space captain

As I was playing SW:TOR over the weekend I had a slight epiphany and I realized how tired I was of this system.

had that "epiphany" back in 1999, during EQ1

better late than never i guess

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 19:02 Alamar

Endo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 12:24:
"and grinding for gear doesn't cut it."

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

But above all, the new content was just fun to play through.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

As if grinding for gear isn't bad enough, at least we don't have to grind for skills and abilities...

-Alamar

17. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 16:59 JAGUART

No mention of The LOTRO Store greed, with "Pay to Win" items, no aggressive sales, and never ending Stat buffs? The whole LOTRO Store is designed to nickel and dime you to death, even as a VIP subscriber.  
"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

16. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 16:50 Cutter

You know what really grinds my gears? Grinding gear.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 15:36 CommunistHamster

Salem doesn't even have quests.  

14. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 15:28 eunichron

"Grinding" is a part of MMOs. That is how you keep people playing, requiring X amount of time to receive Y reward. The newer MMOs have hidden it well by calling them "dailies" or "weeklies," but the purpose and effect is the same as grinding NPCs in Everquest.

I think it is time this is changed. As I was playing SW:TOR over the weekend I had a slight epiphany and I realized how tired I was of this system. What kept me playing WoW originally was that I didn't mind the grinding, because at the end I knew there was going to be a great reward and some epic encounter... and it isn't like that anymore. Now you insert a coin (minimal effort) into the slot and receive an instant award (gear/levels/credits). No fanfare, no "epic" encounter, no feeling of accomplishment, just hamsters pushing a button to get fed and getting fat for no purpose. This is the system that all MMOs have adopted since WoW perfected it.

I hope GW2 can fix that, but I'm remaining cynical about it.

13. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 14:51 Fion

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

I'm hoping GW2 sticks to a similar system. We already know that expansions will raise level cap, at least some of them will. I do hope that the raised level cap won't necessarily bring new 'more powerful' armor but rather new skins and new skills, elites and traits along with all the new content those expansions will add as well.

Time will tell.

Edit: Sorry to once again turn an MMOG thread into a GW2 discussion lol.

12. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 14:49 Endo

Nomaar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:08:

So what you're saying is that people still grinded for new gear in the GW expansion, but they did it to look cool, instead of getting more stats. What is so innovative about this? And all MMORPGs usually include new skills and abilities in their expansions, as well as new content to play through.
Some people did, but many people also just bought the items (or materials to craft items) from other players who got lucky.

But that's the cool thing about how the game was designed - if you like to grind, you can do that. If you don't, you don't have to. They also introduced a small bit of ultra-difficult content in Nightfall and Eye of the North that required some faction grinding and highly-skilled players to successfully complete. But again, it's all purely optional. It's like being able to cherry-pick raid dungeons in WoW, and run only the ones you want, and only as often as you want.

Only the central storyline content could be considered "required" in the GW campaigns, and that was trivially easy with no grinding required.

As for new abilities in MMOs, yes they do add them. But they don't add nearly as many, and generally the new abilities are required to complete the new content. Guild Wars abilities are like cards in MTG - they don't give you more power so much as more options.

11. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 13:35 WarpCrow

Nomaar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:08:
So what you're saying is that people still grinded for new gear in the GW expansion, but they did it to look cool, instead of getting more stats. What is so innovative about this? And all MMORPGs usually include new skills and abilities in their expansions, as well as new content to play through.

I think what he's getting at is the fact that traditionally instead of running new content because you want to, you're forced to grind it because if you don't have gear from the newest expansion, nobody wants you in a high end group/raid. This system gives you the option to run instances for something other than just better numbers on a spreadsheet and gives priority to the gameplay rather than the treadmill. I suppose. I never played GW extensively, but what he's saying does make some sense. As long as there's some interesting way for my character to grow and it's not just swap out this piece for this slightly better piece, I'm happy.

10. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 13:08 Nomaar

9. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 12:43 WarpCrow

That does sound like a decent alternative to the level system, then. I tried GW a few years back and couldn't really get into it, but GW2 looks pretty incredible from what I've seen. Hope it lives up to the hype.

8. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 12:24 Endo

7. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 11:53 Umbragen

Whatever, Rise of Isengard's ending was pisspoor and the follow on chapter didn't do anything to help, I've lost interest in the game. Grinding feats and doing the same crappy daily's gets old fast, I'm moving on.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2012, 12:01.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo