Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012

Blizzard announces the 2012 Battle.net World Championship, a major global eSports event to take place in Asia before the end of this year, though exact details on the event's timing and location are not being supplied at this time. As a result, the next BlizzCon convention will not be held until 2013, as they say:

We’re excited to be showcasing Blizzard eSports on a truly global stage this year. We're also heavily focused on getting Diablo III, Mists of Pandaria, and Heart of the Swarm into players’ hands as soon as possible. In light of our jam-packed schedule, we’ve decided to hold the next BlizzCon in 2013.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 26, 2012, 07:19 Dades

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 19:17:
Simple, the majority of people don't see it as competitive gaming and for good reason. Sorry you don't see that. MMO's make a poor competitive gaming platform. The fact that there's more people still competitively playing SC and SC2 in north america then there are as competitive 'esports' compared to arenas should be telling.

Definitely, well said mate. There are a lot of ego bruised arena kiddies on the internet but the truth is that most don't view it in the same vein as actual competition titles like Starcraft or Counter-Strike.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 21:25 Krovven

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 19:17:
Simple, the majority of people don't see it as competitive gaming and for good reason.

So you speak for the majority of people now? Take your head out of your ass.

As far as "Battle.net World Championship" is concerned, put on by Blizzard, the makers of all things Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft, who host more than a few competitive gaming events, all three games have competitive gaming.

22. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 19:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Krovven wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 17:41:
What's your point Mashiki? I was responding to Bhruic that scoffed at the idea WoW has competitive gaming.

Whether you like WoW Arena's and Battlegrounds is irrelevant to my comment you quoted. Fact is there are tens of thousands of people that play WoW PvP competitively worldwide.
Simple, the majority of people don't see it as competitive gaming and for good reason. Sorry you don't see that. MMO's make a poor competitive gaming platform. The fact that there's more people still competitively playing SC and SC2 in north america then there are as competitive 'esports' compared to arenas should be telling.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 17:41 Krovven

What's your point Mashiki? I was responding to Bhruic that scoffed at the idea WoW has competitive gaming.

Whether you like WoW Arena's and Battlegrounds is irrelevant to my comment you quoted. Fact is there are tens of thousands of people that play WoW PvP competitively worldwide.

20. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 17:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Krovven wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 16:18:
Arenas, Battlegrounds...maybe you've heard of them? There is far more to WoW than questing and raiding.
Oh you mean for the "bros" and all that. To be honest, most people I know who enjoyed pvp liked BG's before the changes. Hated arena's with a passion and still do. And blizz went out of their way to kill and slaughter world pvp, ending what most us non-pvpers did in our off-time.

I preferred raiding, and it was for the challenge of the content. Especially back when getting 40 trained monkey's to do the right thing was simply amaaaaazing! Though TBC was probably by far my favorite raiding experiences in terms of difficulty, and content. I fondly look back at co-leading my old guild in vanilla through the content, and running our secondary gearing nights. Got good enough that we'd do 8min ony runs with 15 people and drag newbies along and throw them free gear.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 16:39 Cutter

Actiblizz should just relocate to Asia.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 16:18 Krovven

Bhruic wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 15:02:
Competitive World of Warcraft? Really?

Arenas, Battlegrounds...maybe you've heard of them? There is far more to WoW than questing and raiding.

17. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 16:16 Optional nickname

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 11:45:
I still can't believe that Mists of Pandaria isn't a practical joke on the gaming community.

Oh well, it assures I am really done with WoW!

China, and Asia, are the emerging markets and superpowers, I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard moves its 'operating interests' there, and makes NorthAmerica it's secondary market. Obviously, they are the WOW crowd, every chinese person I know in existence, plays WOW as if its tied into their religion. Girls, men, professionals, even people that look barely alive, they all play wow. The MOP expansion is clearly aimed at keeping that segment alive and kicking, they don't need USA gamer market anymore.

16. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 16:13 Optional nickname

Bhruic wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 15:02:
I enjoy watching SCII replays, and I'm sure some people would consider that a bit odd, but with that being said... Competitive World of Warcraft? Really?

Last one to bed, wins.

15. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 16:06 FloorPie

nin wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 11:58:
I still can't believe that Mists of Pandaria isn't a practical joke on the gaming community.

While I do miss WOW, I miss what it was, and not what it is now, or what MOP will bring to the table.

I've only stuck around the last 10 months or so due to the friends I've made in game. Many of them have moved on, some reappeared for SWTOR. I have a feeling MOP will be the end of things for me and many others.

14. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 15:16 briktal

Satoru wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:00:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 11:10:
Sounds like they're planning to have hots and d3 released this year, and have titan as the big thing for next year.

That seems entirely counter productive. If you're going to release 3 MAJOR titles in a year even at the end, surely Blizzcon would be the avenue to do it. E3 would already be over.

Even a 10 minute panel that was essentially just a teaser trailer for Titan and the panelists walking out would be worth it just for the PR.

Still its a bit disconcerting to see it cancelled. It does definitely raise the spectre of whether any of the games are even close to being ready for 2012.

Why would you release 3 major titles a) at the same time b) on a weekend c) while thousands of your most hardcore fans are away from home?

A 10 minute teaser for Titan could be neat, but what about the other 12 hours 50 minutes (I don't remember how long Blizzcon is)? Are they gonna have hour long discussions of the slight number tweaks they might make for WoW Patch 5.1? What exclusive demos are they going to offer if all the games are out?

There have been 6 Blizzcons (they skipped 2006). Four of those have included the announcement of a new WoW expansion (2005/7/9/11). The other two coasted by on some SC2/D3 news and some more stuff about WoW expansions, which were a month or two away.

If anything, it probably makes it seem more likely that most/all of those will hit in 2012. If they were going to be delayed to 2013, they'd be able to fill Blizzcon with talk of them and updated demos.

13. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 15:06 Scheherazade

Kajetan wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:22:
While I do miss WOW, I miss what it was, and not what it is now, or what MOP will bring to the table.
One day Blizzard will offer unaltered classic servers.

"What you're doing today?"
"I'm going to this NPC on the other side of the world"
"And then?"
"Then? Thats all i can do today! The day has only 24 hours!"

No, really. Classic servers will come when WoW slowly drifts into F2P and Activision wants Blizzard to milk the cow a little bit more.

I just wish it was still like when 60 was the max, and everyone just had a gank fest in southshore.
SO. MUCH. FUN.

Gear used to not matter (blues were "good", and most people weren't keyed for any instances where you could even attempt at purples), and the game was all about helping people level by keeping gankers off of them, and then going out ganking - what you'd expect in an "alliance v horde" warring game.

Now it's either : "grinding" or "a weekly couple-hour-at-a-time raid check-in, after which everyone logs to go do better things"

Haven't logged on in ages... nothing I miss in today's WoW.

-scheherazade

12. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 15:02 Bhruic

I enjoy watching SCII replays, and I'm sure some people would consider that a bit odd, but with that being said... Competitive World of Warcraft? Really?  

11. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 13:22 Kajetan

One day Blizzard will offer unaltered classic servers.

"What you're doing today?"
"I'm going to this NPC on the other side of the world"
"And then?"
"Then? Thats all i can do today! The day has only 24 hours!"

No, really. Classic servers will come when WoW slowly drifts into F2P and Activision wants Blizzard to milk the cow a little bit more.

10. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 13:00 Satoru

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 11:10:
Sounds like they're planning to have hots and d3 released this year, and have titan as the big thing for next year.

That seems entirely counter productive. If you're going to release 3 MAJOR titles in a year even at the end, surely Blizzcon would be the avenue to do it. E3 would already be over.

Even a 10 minute panel that was essentially just a teaser trailer for Titan and the panelists walking out would be worth it just for the PR.

Now I will say that organizing and coordinating a convention as large as Blizzcon is overwhelming. You literally need an army of people planning this stuff right after the convention ends. I've done small conventions and I can barely imagine what kind of thing goes into doing Blizzcon.

Plus I can see that the con itself robs Blizzard of a good month of usable employee time, as employees need to prepare for the con in various way for panels, getting demos ready, what to present etc. So yes it is not a small or insignificant resource drain for them when they really really want to get these games out.

Still its a bit disconcerting to see it cancelled. It does definitely raise the spectre of whether any of the games are even close to being ready for 2012.

Even more disconcerting is the entitlement syndrome running through the battle.net forums of *gasp* having a tournament that is not on US soil. China? Might as well be on the moon! Damn the Koreans and the Asians have the tournament in USA! Why isn't it on the East coast. Blah blah blah blah. It's really disgusting how some people think how the entire world should revolve around their own schedule and convenience.

9. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 12:56 Verno

I have some WoW nostalgia but that's all that it is for the most part. The only thing I can recall missing was quests you actually had to read to do and dungeons you could actually explore instead of being pushed along a scripted path. Maraudon was awesome, it took my group several runs to figure the place out and whatnot but it was really rewarding. That's too difficult for the Facebook crowd though and last time I played you were practically running corridors like ME2 or something.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

8. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 12:28 Endo

Same here.

7. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 11:58 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 11:45 Beelzebud

5. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 11:22 shinchan0s

What would they show @ a Blizzcon this year? Mists of Pandaria (LOL)? Announcements that Diablo 3 and Heart of the Swarm are essentially vaporware? There would be rioting on the streets.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo