Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing"

This trailer created by Blizzard for Korean gamers from a few days ago features Jay Wilson offering an optimistic outlook on when to expect Diablo III, their action/RPG sequel, saying "the release date is nearing." This was posted the same day they announced plans to change how many of the game's systems work, and the day before the game's senior producer left the company, so it's not clear how these different factors play into each other, if they do at all. Here's a fuller quote for context: "2012 will be a great year because the Diablo series will finally make its long-awaited return. We are currently working hard to deliver Diablo III and ensure it lives up to your expectations. We plan to deliver nothing less than an epic gaming experience. The release date is nearing, and we eagerly await your return as the heroes of sanctuary." Thanks Blizzplanet.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 15:27 Verno

I'm going with May 2012, the latest patch just landed and it will require a lot of playtesting but I doubt that it will push it back to the second half.

and it's likely to be extra months, rather than weeks. But it's not going to be years, as some people are implying.

It's been a long wait, it's Blizzard, people are half kidding, come on dude.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 14:15 Krovven

Bhruic wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 05:37:
Again, those are all gameplay balance issues.

What exactly would you consider core gameplay changes then? Blizzard themselves refer to them as core gameplay changes. Changing class skills, runes, stats, tradeskill recipe, itemization, among other things. These are some major adjustments to the game. Changing the engine or the point and click nature of the game or even the UI have nothing to do with making sweeping changes to the core gameplay.

and it's likely to be extra months, rather than weeks. But it's not going to be years, as some people are implying.

Which is exactly what I said. I still expect the game in 2012.

35. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing" Jan 24, 2012, 09:32 Mr. Tact

I'm with Ant...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

34. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing" Jan 24, 2012, 08:24 Ant

/me yawns.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 06:16 InBlack

Apart from the stat changes, which bring back the game to a more D2esque feel and are pretty much straight-forward, all the changes announced in the Beta 10 patch do not really affect gameplay in the beta patch that much since they deal with itemization and balancing which would affect players in the endgame.

Im usually very pessimistic with regards to Blizzard and their release schedules, but Bashiok and others have gone to great pains with wording all of their latest news blurbs in such a way as to hint that all of these latest changes would not delay the projected "sooner rather than later" release schedule.

With that said they are working on a rather significant skill/rune system rework but this is something that was announced months ago and might not even make it in the release build.

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing" Jan 24, 2012, 05:37 Bhruic

Again, those are all gameplay balance issues. They don't have to change the game engine. They don't have to redo the combat mechanics. They might have to modify the UI a bit, but they don't have to do a complete change.

The changes they've proposed definitely are going to add time, and it's likely to be extra months, rather than weeks. But it's not going to be years, as some people are implying.

31. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 03:51 Krovven

Bhruic wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 01:43:
Ok, sure, large amounts of item changes. But they aren't changing the core game mechanics at all. All they are doing is rebalancing the items. That'll take some time, certainly, but it doesn't require that they fundamentally change gameplay.

From the same link I posted before.

"In addition we’re working on major changes to the skill and rune systems that we’re not ready to talk about."

30. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 03:47 Dev

Bhruic wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 01:43:

We're dropping Defense, Attack, and Precision as attributes, Armor is taking over for what Defense used to provide, +Physical Resist will take over for Armor, and +Chance to Crit will fill in for Precision. Obviously these stat changes are one of the bigger systems changes we're currently working on as they have far reaching requirements to re-itemize and balance the game.

Ok, sure, large amounts of item changes. But they aren't changing the core game mechanics at all. All they are doing is rebalancing the items. That'll take some time, certainly, but it doesn't require that they fundamentally change gameplay.
Fairly sure dropping 3 attributes is fundamentally changing gameplay. And notice they don't just talk about balancing items. They say they have to rebalance the GAME itself.

Blizard themselves describe it in the quote you just gave as "FAR REACHING"

At this late point, if anything, they'd likely underplay it. So if "far reaching" is underplaying it, its quite a large change.

29. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 01:43 Bhruic

We're dropping Defense, Attack, and Precision as attributes, Armor is taking over for what Defense used to provide, +Physical Resist will take over for Armor, and +Chance to Crit will fill in for Precision. Obviously these stat changes are one of the bigger systems changes we're currently working on as they have far reaching requirements to re-itemize and balance the game.

28. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 24, 2012, 00:39 Creston

eunichron wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 17:00:
Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 16:38:
eunichron wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 14:37:
Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 13:10:
Something tells me that Jay Wilson made that announcement before they decided to rework major, major portions of their game. Knowing Blizzard, they'll want to test all these further streamlinings before releasing, so I wouldn't expect it for at least another six months.

Creston

Actually, knowing Blizzard, they probably made these changes months ago and just didn't tell anyone until now. They may be closer to release than we think.

That's possible, though people in the beta would have noticed, you'd think?

Creston

I've been in every Blizzard beta since WC3, and my experience has been that even their beta patches are weeks, sometimes up to a month, behind the developer build. Almost every beta they've had has gone through a major overhaul right before release, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they made those changes some time ago and just got around to patching them into the beta now.

That's fair enough. I guess we'll see once Blizzard finally announces a release date. I still think it's at least six months out, though.

Creston

27. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 19:23 Krovven

Bhruic wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 17:09:
I keep hearing about these so-called "core" changes, but where are they?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4325959/Systems_Changes-1_19_2012#blog

We're changing core character attributes to Strength, Dexterity, Intellect, and Vitality...

26. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing" Jan 23, 2012, 19:21 Dev

A previous blues news thing lists the changes as outlined by blizzard. Some of them seemed substantial to me.

My guess is its NOT going to end up being 2012, he was just going on info he had at the time.

25. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 18:15 Wildone

What caused them to drastically change it? The money korean issue? They need to get their ass together all the years/manpower they spent on this we coulda re-invented a new energy source or cured cancer. And its just a video game. LMAO humans..  

24. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 17:13 Dades

They removed some core attributes and are totally rebalancing the way items work as a result, it's not anywhere near as minor as you suggest. They aren't doing something dramatic like removing an entire class but they are making a lot of moderate changes which will require significant testing and some balance passes which are very time consuming. I don't have the full write up from the battle.net forums but that's where I read about it.  

23. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 17:09 Bhruic

I keep hearing about these so-called "core" changes, but where are they? The only changes I've seen announced are all simply balance changes. Removing ID scrolls? Hardly core. Can't use "normal" items for crafting mats? Balance change. Etc, etc.

Sure, the changes need to be tested, but it's not like they are going to have to make significant code changes for any of them. A few weeks (or "months" as Blizzard calls them ) of extra testing, and they are good to go.

22. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 17:00 eunichron

Creston wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 16:38:
Something tells me that Jay Wilson made that announcement before they decided to rework major, major portions of their game. Knowing Blizzard, they'll want to test all these further streamlinings before releasing, so I wouldn't expect it for at least another six months.

Creston

Actually, knowing Blizzard, they probably made these changes months ago and just didn't tell anyone until now. They may be closer to release than we think.

Creston

I've been in every Blizzard beta since WC3, and my experience has been that even their beta patches are weeks, sometimes up to a month, behind the developer build. Almost every beta they've had has gone through a major overhaul right before release, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they made those changes some time ago and just got around to patching them into the beta now.

21. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 16:52 Fion

If it doesn't come out in the next few months they won't release it this year simply because Kungfu Pa.. er Mists of Pandaria is coming out around then. Though frankly I'm pretty sure Pandaria will hit a lot sooner than their 'traditional' release window simply because of how fast they are losing subscribers.  

20. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 16:38 Creston

Creston

Creston

19. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 14:37 eunichron

Creston

18. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 14:37 Kosumo

I want play as a fat overweight skeleton, DiabloCraft X: Electric Boogaloo is so gonna own.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo