Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report on this week's bestselling titles on their Steam service:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  2. Age of Empire III Complete
  3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  4. Anno 2070
  5. Terraria
  6. Jagged Alliance: Back in Action
  7. Q.U.B.E.
  8. Dead Space 2
  9. Saints Row: The Third
  10. Dungeon Defenders

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 24, 2012, 06:59 kyleb

Bhruic wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 17:15:
Not true. You only show up if you are running in online mode, and launch via Steam.
Well of course whatever fraction of the player base uses offline mode won't show up on the Steam stats. As for not launching via Steam, launching Skyrim launchs Steam unless you're using a crack. Regardless, the fact remains that comparing Steam's player stats between a Steamworks game and a non-Steamworks game doesn't rightly prove which game has a larger player base.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 18:07 Kastagir

1.4.15 beta is available. See here for details.  

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 17:15 Bhruic

Krovven was talking about Steam's player stats, and in the case of Steamwork games like Skyrim, everyone shows up on those stats regardless of if they bought the game directly from Steam or elsewhere.

Not true. You only show up if you are running in online mode, and launch via Steam.

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 14:40 kyleb

Bhruic wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 01:38:
Considering we are having a discussion about Steam sales, I think using Steam numbers would be an entirely fair comparison. If people buy their games somewhere other than Steam, they aren't going to show up on Steam's top ten list, now are they?

Krovven was talking about Steam's player stats, and in the case of Steamwork games like Skyrim, everyone shows up on those stats regardless of if they bought the game directly from Steam or elsewhere.

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 12:57 Bumpy

InBlack wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 10:01:
Im hating the horrible UI or HUD as it is displayed in the game, although Im getting more and more used to it as I play the game.

Still have to figure out how all the carrer options + leveling works for bridge officers as it seems hugely and overly complex atm.

OMG, how can you say that?! The UI and HUD are the best in a PC game that I've played since System Shock 2.

I just started STrekO and find it outstanding. So refreshingly PC. None of this console dumbness or simple crap, every thing is so slick and seemless.

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 12:42 space captain

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 08:26:
You have to admit, it is pretty easy to get Krowen all spun up.

one might say... effortless

Go forth, and kill!

51. Re: im always a nice person Jan 23, 2012, 12:41 space captain

Prez wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 02:45:
space captain wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 00:05:

...then we can have a pillow fight and after that we can all paint our toe-nails together!

Can I use the sparkly nail polish???

no! you're too fat, bitch

Go forth, and kill!

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 10:01 InBlack

Ive grown bored with Skyrim. Its a great game, but I cant see myself creating another (4th) character any time soon.

I am definitely surprised I lasted this long, the only single player game that held me this long recently was Fallout: New Vegas. Will definitely go back to it at some point.

Im giving Star Trek: Online a try now, hopefully it'll keep me hooked long enough till Diablo 3, and not long enough that I start paying for the game. So far its a mixed bag, I like the diversity of the missions and the fact that they are doable solo. Im hating the horrible UI or HUD as it is displayed in the game, although Im getting more and more used to it as I play the game.

Still have to figure out how all the carrer options + leveling works for bridge officers as it seems hugely and overly complex atm.

I have a nifty blue line!

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 08:47 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 01:38:
Considering we are having a discussion about Steam sales, I think using Steam numbers would be an entirely fair comparison. If people buy their games somewhere other than Steam, they aren't going to show up on Steam's top ten list, now are they?

That was exactly his point and to be fair there aren't even any actual figures here. The most useful metrics (concurrent players) aren't even a reliable indicator of actual sales unfortunately.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 08:26 RollinThundr

Jerykk wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 01:46:
Go with that. AC2 and AC:R combine for less than 1500 players on Steam, Brotherhood isn't even listed. Skyrim has 80,000. Have fun disagreeing with fact.

I wasn't disagreeing with that. I was just disagreeing in general because Dades told us to argue about nothing.

You have to admit, it is pretty easy to get Krowen all spun up.

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 05:41 LFace

Im glad Terraria is getting some love. As of yesterday I've racked up 103 hours play of it. And all of that on single player. Absolutely love the game and cannot praise it enough.  

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 03:41 Dmitri_M

Kajetan wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 03:33:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 19:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 18:06:
also noteworthy is that Anno 2070 has spot 4.. despite restrictive DRM

Good game is a good game.
Clueless gamers are clueless.
Unoriginal is unoriginal.

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 03:33 Kajetan

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 19:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 18:06:
also noteworthy is that Anno 2070 has spot 4.. despite restrictive DRM

Good game is a good game.
Clueless gamers are clueless.

44. Re: im always a nice person Jan 23, 2012, 02:45 Prez

space captain wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 00:05:

...then we can have a pillow fight and after that we can all paint our toe-nails together!

Can I use the sparkly nail polish???

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 01:46 Jerykk

Go with that. AC2 and AC:R combine for less than 1500 players on Steam, Brotherhood isn't even listed. Skyrim has 80,000. Have fun disagreeing with fact.

I wasn't disagreeing with that. I was just disagreeing in general because Dades told us to argue about nothing.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 01:38 Bhruic

Skyrim is a Steamworks game, so pretty much everyone who bought it shows up on the Steam count. The AC games aren't Steamworks games, so only the people who bought the games through Steam show up on the Steam count. Granted, I've little doubt Skyrim has far more people playing than all the AC games combined anyway, but using Steams numbers isn't a fair comparison.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 00:57 Dev

kyleb wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 00:44:
Skyrim is a Steamworks game, so pretty much everyone who bought it shows up on the Steam count. The AC games aren't Steamworks games, so only the people who bought the games through Steam show up on the Steam count. Granted, I've little doubt Skyrim has far more people playing than all the AC games combined anyway, but using Steams numbers isn't a fair comparison.
Everyone who bought it on PC anyway. And the peak has been hitting 100k or more for a while. If only 1 out of 10 people play it simultaneously with other people during a peak time on a specific day, thats 1 million PC copies sold. My guess is its actually higher, that its more like 1 out of 25 or so. I'm thinking some people have already moved on, some people bought it and dont play it during peak times, etc.

Oh and anytime anything decent outsells CoD games, that makes me happy.

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 00:44 kyleb

Krovven wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 17:35:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 17:23:
I disagree.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 23, 2012, 00:35 Dev

loomy wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 22:31:
DEGENERATES TALKING ABOUT NOTHING
DOES THAT INCLUDE YOU SINCE YOU POSTED?

38. im always a nice person Jan 23, 2012, 00:05 space captain

you guys are so negative!

now lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya! yay!

then we can have a pillow fight and after that we can all paint our toe-nails together!

Go forth, and kill!

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo