Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2012, 13:23 Ruffiana

Mingus wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 20:54:
OK. I understand the the outrage, but couldn't you also call for investigations into any/all industries that donate financially to members of Congress and the Senate for alleged bribery?

Say for example, big oil?

Let's face it folks, this is how the political game is played. I don't like it, but it's just they way it is.

You certainly could, but big oil doesn't have the online momentum at this particular time that was generated by the anti-SOPA/PIPA movement.

If this gets government seriously looking at lobbying practices, any lobbying practices, that's more likely to translate to something that might impact all lobbyists than doing nothing at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2012, 13:00 Mingus

Verno wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 09:00:
Let's face it folks, this is how the political game is played. I don't like it, but it's just they way it is.

That's the point here, people don't like how its being played and it obviously isn't working for our country. Aww shucks thats the way the cookie crumbles isn't getting us anywhere.

Someone should have informed the US Supreme Court of same prior to their boneheaded "Citizen's United" decision.

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2012, 10:03 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 09:00:

That's the point here, people don't like how its being played and it obviously isn't working for our country. Aww shucks thats the way the cookie crumbles isn't getting us anywhere.

If you don't like a game you play a new one. It's that simple. You can't invite people over your house and force them to play MW3 when they want to play Monopoly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2012, 09:00 Verno

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2012, 22:49 Wowbagger_TIP

OK. I understand the the outrage, but couldn't you also call for investigations into any/all industries that donate financially to members of Congress and the Senate for alleged bribery?
You can investigate, but you generally come up with no clear evidence. Most of those industries aren't dumb enough to get up and publicly say what Dodd said, making it a clear quid pro quo.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2012, 21:08 Dev

space captain wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 21:05:
what about big corn?
You mean how its turned into a big cash industry after the ethanol regulation and caused prices of corn to soar and food riots break out? You can throw a petition for that up there too if you want.

3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2012, 21:05 space captain

what about big corn?  
Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2012, 20:54 Mingus

Say for example, big oil?

1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2012, 20:01 Shok

I signed that petition. It's got 11000 signatures as of 8PM EST Sunday and will probably reach its 25000 goal in the next day or so at this rate. Go sign it!

Also, I had to use IE to sign in to the whitehouse.gov website and sign the petition. For some reason using Firefox didn't recognize me as signed in.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo