Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Space Quest 2 Remake

Infamous Adventures now offers their fan-created remake of Space Quest 2, which apparently was released for Windows and OS X a week ago. Since then the free game has been downloaded around 20,000 times, and a new patch is now available to update it to version 1.1. Word is: "This update fixes many of the bugs and issues people were having with the original release version. Perhaps the most significant update is that the game is now 32 bit instead of 16, which should address most video issues people were having with it." The patch is for Windows, and they also say they are working on an OS X patch.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 24, 2012, 09:11 SomeNewKid

Dev wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 05:42:
Ugh I think I may have changed the folder too. I hate installer problems like that.

BTW, the devs are quite active on their forums, that may be the best way to alert them to this.

Yes, I have already added a thread to the Infamous Adventures forums (http://www.infamous-adventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5209.0). Indeed, the admins were very quick to respond.

If I were you, I would not uninstall SQ2 and would keep an eye on the above Infamous Adventures thread.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 24, 2012, 05:42 Dev

Ugh I think I may have changed the folder too. I hate installer problems like that.

BTW, the devs are quite active on their forums, that may be the best way to alert them to this.

16. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 23, 2012, 19:53 SomeNewKid

nin wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 19:16:
Where did you install it to? I don't see any mention of it in the SQ2 forums on their site, so your issue may be unique. I'd shoot them a mail if I were you...

I installed the game to "\Program Files\Space Quest 2" rather than the default of "\Program Files\Infamous Adventures\Space Quest 2". Even though the installation directory is slightly different, it is still within the expected \Program Files directory, and the installer should record the installation directory.

I know that uninstallers will often remove 'shared' files that were added to other directories, but I could see the uninstaller deleting files that could not possibly be utilized by Space Quest 2, including Left 4 Dead 2 files, Visual Studio files, Adobe Creative Suite files, and others that I've forgotten in my panic.

I was hesitant to post the warning because, as you noted, it may be unique to my computer's configuration. However, the sheer number of "other" files that were deleted was enough to prompt my warning. Moreover, no casual game is worth the risk of corrupting applications like Visual Studio and Adobe Creative Suite. I will indeed send Infamous Adventures an email about my experience.

15. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 23, 2012, 19:16 nin

SomeNewKid wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 19:01:
WARNING!!!

Using the Space Quest 2 Uninstall utility will delete other program files!!!! The Uninstaller lists the files that are being deleted, and I watched in horror as Adobe, Microsoft, Steam, and other files were deleted. It was not just unused shared files that were deleted--I noticed that Steam data files for Left 4 Dead 2 were listed as being deleted. Sure enough, L4D2 is now corrupt and cannot be launched.

I don't like being Chicken Little in my first ever post to Blues News, but the SQ2 uninstaller is so damaging that I felt compelled to warn others.

Where did you install it to? I don't see any mention of it in the SQ2 forums on their site, so your issue may be unique. I'd shoot them a mail if I were you...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 23, 2012, 19:01 SomeNewKid

WARNING!!!

Using the Space Quest 2 Uninstall utility will delete other program files!!!! The Uninstaller lists the files that are being deleted, and I watched in horror as Adobe, Microsoft, Steam, and other files were deleted. It was not just unused shared files that were deleted--I noticed that Steam data files for Left 4 Dead 2 were listed as being deleted. Sure enough, L4D2 is now corrupt and cannot be launched.

I don't like being Chicken Little in my first ever post to Blues News, but the SQ2 uninstaller is so damaging that I felt compelled to warn others.

13. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 23, 2012, 01:46 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 01:28:
Ruffiana wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 05:31:
I stopped thinking in games when they evolved beyond text-parsing. Both in how to solve the problems presented the game but just as often how to construct a command with the right nound and correct verb that the parser would understand.

King's Quest took us almost a year of experimentation before we thought to type the word "dive" while treading in the bottom of the well. In contrast, The Black Cauldron took me less than a day to complete. By the time King's Quest V was out, and introduced mouse-clicking, it was all downhill. Adventure games became more like playing Where's Waldo, looking for the most unique item in a scene to be clicking on so something would happen.

Yep, but the complaints leveled at IF were always that the "game" often ended up being about trying to please the parser. I love playing winners from the annual IF competition because they tend to have very forgiving and/or intuitive parsers but are still challenging and have moments like "dive".
I didn't even know such a thing existed. Thanks for the link.

12. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 23, 2012, 01:28 Sepharo

Ruffiana wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 05:31:
I stopped thinking in games when they evolved beyond text-parsing. Both in how to solve the problems presented the game but just as often how to construct a command with the right nound and correct verb that the parser would understand.

King's Quest took us almost a year of experimentation before we thought to type the word "dive" while treading in the bottom of the well. In contrast, The Black Cauldron took me less than a day to complete. By the time King's Quest V was out, and introduced mouse-clicking, it was all downhill. Adventure games became more like playing Where's Waldo, looking for the most unique item in a scene to be clicking on so something would happen.

Yep, but the complaints leveled at IF were always that the "game" often ended up being about trying to please the parser. I love playing winners from the annual IF competition because they tend to have very forgiving and/or intuitive parsers but are still challenging and have moments like "dive".

11. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 22, 2012, 12:14 Dev

007Bistromath wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 03:36:
That's weird. I thought this got C&D'd a while back. What am I thinking of?
I think thats one of the fan king quest extensions (not remakes). But then I believe they made a deal for a fan agreement or some such so they could keep doing it.

Anyway, if you do some searching through bluesnews I think he had some stories on it.

10. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 22, 2012, 06:17 Ledge

Hudson wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 20:25:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 18:16:

It's too bad these sort of click adventures went away...

Indeed good sir, indeed, it's very unfortunate.
All the "Quest" series and few other titles like "Leisure Suit Larry", "Monkey Island", "Day of the Tentacle" even going back as far as "DIG" and "Future Wars", all these games made you think, now not so much anymore. Kids get to be spoon fed everything now days.

and lest we forget. Rex Nebular.

9. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 22, 2012, 05:31 Ruffiana

Hudson wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 20:25:

All the "Quest" series and few other titles like "Leisure Suit Larry", "Monkey Island", "Day of the Tentacle" even going back as far as "DIG" and "Future Wars", all these games made you think, now not so much anymore. Kids get to be spoon fed everything now days.

8. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 22, 2012, 03:36 007Bistromath

That's weird. I thought this got C&D'd a while back. What am I thinking of?  

7. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 21, 2012, 22:56 Linksil

These games made lots of long nights enjoyable. Wish games took that much effort into story and dialog today.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

6. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 21, 2012, 20:54 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 20:36:
Oh this brings back memories, love that the first thing you can do when you start the game, is to actually end the game (like by dieing just by moving)

Half the fun of space quest for me, was to find ALL the ways you can die in the game, and there is a LOT of ways... and unlike Kings Quest, you always get a fair but subtle warning for any mortal danger (well, mostly)

There is also a nice easter egg when you try to re-insert the "unstable explosives" where you took it from in the first place
There's youtubes of most (all?) the ways to die in games like space/king's quest on youtube. I've found most of them when I played in the past, but some were new to me.

5. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 21, 2012, 20:36 eRe4s3r

Oh this brings back memories, love that the first thing you can do when you start the game, is to actually end the game (like by dieing just by moving)

Half the fun of space quest for me, was to find ALL the ways you can die in the game, and there is a LOT of ways... and unlike Kings Quest, you always get a fair but subtle warning for any mortal danger (well, mostly)

There is also a nice easter egg when you try to re-insert the "unstable explosives" where you took it from in the first place

4. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 21, 2012, 20:25 Wash Washburne

3. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 21, 2012, 18:43 Dev

I own the original on 3.5" diskette. I will try this remake.

It's too bad these sort of click adventures went away. I can sort of see why they needed a rest though.

I own many of them too, multiple copies, not just floppy but CD collection versions. Also, I have the demo CD that contained the SQ6 demo with entire talkie version of mini adventure with content that wasn't in the game.

Actually there's still a fair number of point and click adventures around, but they are mostly indie published now. For instance, I've started the blackwell trilogy from steam. Also there's a AGS indie bundle thats for sale right now, on one of those bundle things. Blue linked it I think yesterday.

If you like the original space/kings quest type games, I highly recommend some of the other remakes. IA has done KQ3 and now SQ2. If you goto AGD's site, they've redone KQ1 and KQ2 and QFG2:
http://www.agdinteractive.com
The KQ1 is an exact replica of the original game as I recall, whereas the KQ2 is an expanded redone remake that is 5 times more fun than the original KQ2 (the original was one of the more blah ones). They added Sierra quality puzzles and content to the game.
BTW all of these remakes are also minimum VGA and full talkie versions. Some of these remakes had original voice actors in it that did sierra stuff. Like some of the KQ ones had the original guy who did graham in it.

Edit: I just noticed that both AGD and IA did KQ3 remake. I played one through and enjoyed it, don't recall which one I played though.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2012, 19:02.

2. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 21, 2012, 18:16 Silicon Avatar

I own the original on 3.5" diskette. I will try this remake.

It's too bad these sort of click adventures went away. I can sort of see why they needed a rest though.

1. Re: Space Quest 2 Remake Jan 21, 2012, 17:27 Dev

I love fan remakes like this!
I've been checking their webpage every month or two for word on the progress (they also did the KQ3 remake), and checked it last night and noticed it just came out, so I sent a heads up to blue.

I'm in the middle of playing it and its a fairly faithful reproduction. There's a fair amount of added descriptions, many of them jokes with more modern references such as an all your base joke and a MMORPG joke. Its hilarious to click everything with nose and tongue. I've laughed out loud quite a few times.

BTW, do NOT click the DOWNLOAD button when following the link above. Thats a google ad sponsored link. Downloading stuff is getting so treacherous nowadays with so many ads trying to fool you into clicking them. Instead click on LQ or HQ and click downloads from the menu there.

In fact, just use this link (and Blue, you may want to replace your 2nd link above with this just to avoid any confusion):
http://www.infamous-adventures.com/sq2/index.php

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2012, 17:44.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo