Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs

Blizzplanet has word via Twitter that Diablo III Senior Game Producer Steve Parker is no longer working at Blizzard Entertainment. He says: "Hey Twitter, Im no longer working at Blizzard or on D3. Ive had a great 5 years there and those guys are going to do an amazing job with Diablo." They have a other tweets suggesting this was all amicable.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 23, 2012, 10:00 Beamer

Dades wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 14:26:
Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 00:43:
For like the billionth time, those of you claiming Activision has a hand here are wrong. Blizzard retained their control over themselves.

Prove it.

What?
How the hell do you prove that Activision doesn't control Blizzard? You're asking me to prove something doesn't exist. You can't really do that. Prove to me God doesn't exist. Or Bigfoot. Or the chupacabra. You can't.

All you can do is point to the billion of releases that say Blizzard retains its control. Or point to it still being a separate entity. Or point to its management still being in place. Or point to its name being in the damn company name, which hasn't happened for anyone else any publisher has taken over.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 23, 2012, 08:10 AnointedSword

You prove it!:) It is clear, Blizzard has total control...  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

28. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 22, 2012, 14:26 Dades

Beamer wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 00:43:
For like the billionth time, those of you claiming Activision has a hand here are wrong. Blizzard retained their control over themselves.

Prove it.

27. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 22, 2012, 01:52 venomhed

Typical canned response. People need to stop using the word "amazing" when departing places. Would rather see a "Blizzards a bunch of fuckers and D3 sucks ass! Just wait!"

Oh well.

26. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 22, 2012, 00:43 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 18:58 Dades

D_K_night wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 12:07:
you guys are overreacting. it's not like of any even knows what goes on inside Blizzard or even know any of these ppl personally.

people come and go. If the lead designer of torchlight left, would you guys be kicking as big a fuss? I'd guess no.

Did you stop to think about that before you posted? Of course people would be kicking up a fuss if this was Torchlight, the company has very few employees as it is without losing a key member.

24. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 15:40 Prez

D_K_night wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 12:07:

... If the lead designer of torchlight left, would you guys be kicking as big a fuss? I'd guess no.

Actually I would be a bit worried. I actually care about Torchlight 2.

Okay, I care about D3, insofar as I read every news story to see if Blizzard has dropped the moronic always-online for singleplayer requirement. I'm not really expecting them to, but you never know.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 13:57 Creston

Always a good sign when your senior staff leaves a few days after you announce major changes to the game...

Creston

22. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 12:53 Illumin

Don't forget Skipp Roberts! He was the backbone behind operation M.O.P.B.U.C.K.E.T!!  

21. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 12:07 D_K_night

you guys are overreacting. it's not like of any even knows what goes on inside Blizzard or even know any of these ppl personally.

people come and go. If the lead designer of torchlight left, would you guys be kicking as big a fuss? I'd guess no.

20. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 11:30 Prez

I don't see Activision's hand in any of Blizzard's doings that we are aware of. While the contrast between Pre-EA Bioware and current Bioware is as stark as contrast can be, Blizzard has always been like this. They are abysmally bad at releasing a product in a timely manner, and I suspect they could really use a couple of really good and experienced project managers to tighten up ship around there.

No one wants the typical Blizzard quality and polish to diminish, but there is almost certainly a way for them to improve their ability to complete products faster than their current ridiculously overlong dev cycles without sacrificing any of that.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2012, 11:40.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 11:16 Mr. Tact

I doubt it means much. I think bozu got it right.

bozu wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:35:
I would venture that he put in notice months ago so he could go work on a personal project. He promised to stay on through the end of development, but with the delay, he would be there much longer than he'd agreed to do they let him just depart on good terms. Inferring anything more is just a bit nuts.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 10:56 RollinThundr

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 08:06:
El Pit wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 04:12:
"This does not bode well, for it confirms my darkest fears." You don't have to be Cain to see that Diablo III is in deep trouble. Is this the result of Activision taking over?

This ain't Activision. If it were Activision Diablo 3 would have been long finished (or cancelled) by now and Blizz would be working on Diablo 7 or something while another team would be working on Diablo 8 already so they could maintain a yearly schedule.

Nope. Some of you clowns need to get this idea out of your head that Blizzard is or was this small, cozy dev house that was only in it for da people and not for da moneh. Bullshit.
Blizzard has not been a privately held company since long before the Activision merger. They were a part of Vivendi back then and a part of some rather unknown investment firm before that. Blizzard has not been an independent entity for most of its existence and they have always been in it for the business side of things as well. They bathe in money and they have always loved the smell of it, Activison or not. Let's stop the retarded glorification.

With that said, they do seem to have issues but those lie with Blizz themselves as far as I can tell. I think they just need to grow balls and stick with some of the decisions they make and actually release a goddamn product at some time. This whole Diablo 3 bullshit reminds me of Guns'n'Roses Chinese Democracy in a way where the record was "reiterated" a zillion times. This was all due to Axl "Crackhead" Rose though and not Geffen Records or any other publishing entity.

What Blizzard really need to do is Blizzard need to free themselves of the shackles of perfection and allow themselves to be as imperfect as everything else in this world is.

This. Blizzard hasn't been independently owned since becoming Blizzard in the first place.

17. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 10:21 shinchan0s

CJ_Parker is actually right (for once).

Blizzard started believing in their own hype after the amazing success of World of Warcraft. Every game they release has to be the equivalent of an Oscar winning mega-blockbuster turned American classic. They spend so much time fretting over "polish" and "balance" because critics tend to overemphasize those bits over fun factor. A Blizzard game with a sub-90 score from Metacritic would be deemed a failure. Unfortunately, longer development times only lead to greater expectations so that extra "polish" is going to have diminishing returns - which is why SC2 turned out to be such a dud.

Oh well, it will still be Diablo. The recent spate of DIII news has given me the itch again. Back to DII. F*** you, Blizz.

16. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 10:09 Fibrocyte

*Hands out tinfoil hats*  

15. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 08:36 xXBatmanXx

shihonage wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 05:48:
If you read the D3 blog carefully, it is foreshadowing of an incoming clusterfuck. They renamed their hearthstone to Town Portal, real Town Portals aren't back, identify scrolls are removed (what's the point of Cain now that my barbarian, suddenly, has intricate knowledge of ancient scrolls?), and, most importantly, they are about to redo the stuff at the "core of the experience".

This late in development. This means either at least another year's delay, or an inbalanced, bug-ridden release.

THose are all major portions of the core game - wtf.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 08:34 xXBatmanXx

I assume the game is all but over, but wouldn't his contract have bonuses tied to the performance of sales? hmmm.....all seems shady to me.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 08:06 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 04:12:
"This does not bode well, for it confirms my darkest fears." You don't have to be Cain to see that Diablo III is in deep trouble. Is this the result of Activision taking over?

This ain't Activision. If it were Activision Diablo 3 would have been long finished (or cancelled) by now and Blizz would be working on Diablo 7 or something while another team would be working on Diablo 8 already so they could maintain a yearly schedule.

Nope. Some of you clowns need to get this idea out of your head that Blizzard is or was this small, cozy dev house that was only in it for da people and not for da moneh. Bullshit.
Blizzard has not been a privately held company since long before the Activision merger. They were a part of Vivendi back then and a part of some rather unknown investment firm before that. Blizzard has not been an independent entity for most of its existence and they have always been in it for the business side of things as well. They bathe in money and they have always loved the smell of it, Activison or not. Let's stop the retarded glorification.

With that said, they do seem to have issues but those lie with Blizz themselves as far as I can tell. I think they just need to grow balls and stick with some of the decisions they make and actually release a goddamn product at some time. This whole Diablo 3 bullshit reminds me of Guns'n'Roses Chinese Democracy in a way where the record was "reiterated" a zillion times. This was all due to Axl "Crackhead" Rose though and not Geffen Records or any other publishing entity.

What Blizzard really need to do is Blizzard need to free themselves of the shackles of perfection and allow themselves to be as imperfect as everything else in this world is.

12. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 07:01 Paketep

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 21:25:
Holy crap what's going on with Blizzard lately? Didn't they just loose their main map/area/dungeon design guy, and now D3 Senior Producer?!?

Lately?. Blizz has gone to hell (no pun intended) since the Activision merger. They've gone from a company who only cared about making great games and gamers happy, to a company that wants to control how you play and squeeze you out of your money.

This is just another sign of how bad things are at Blizz. When one of your main guys leaves (or is fired) after who knows how many years when your game is supposedly near finished, something is very fucked up there.

11. Re: Diablo III Senior Game Producer Departs Jan 21, 2012, 05:48 shihonage

If you read the D3 blog carefully, it is foreshadowing of an incoming clusterfuck. They renamed their hearthstone to Town Portal, real Town Portals aren't back, identify scrolls are removed (what's the point of Cain now that my barbarian, suddenly, has intricate knowledge of ancient scrolls?), and, most importantly, they are about to redo the stuff at the "core of the experience".

This late in development. This means either at least another year's delay, or an inbalanced, bug-ridden release.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo