Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums have posts from players having trouble cancelling their accounts for the MMORPG yesterday on the eve of when the one-month free accounts activated on the game's first day will be billed for their first paid month of service. Massively notes this thread with a workaround, and that customer service suggests customers with such issues contact them by phone. On the other hand, BioWare announces how not cancelling will earn players a "Founder" title, and the website now offers a video showing new features coming to the game in the future. In a separate bit of news related to the game, this post has word from the game's Live Community Coordinator that they have temporarily disabled posting for all community members on the Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums. No explanation for this is offered.

View
169 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

49. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:35 Sleep

Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:30:
ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:29:
Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:28:
ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:26:
If the cost rumors are anywhere close to the target, if SWTOR fails, if, then EA's future may be at risk. If the $300M number is anywhere correct, never mind the $500M number, EA won't recover from such a hit no matter what they do.

I don't think you have a grasp on how large EA is. I suggest checking annual reports. A $500 million failure wouldn't doom the company.

I do, it is part of my job after all. They haven't had profits for 3 years now, which means they cannot withstand a huge loss.
In fact they have $1.5 billion in CASH at the moment, per their last annual.
http://investor.ea.com/financials.cfm

Edit: down to around $1 billion cash as of last quarterly. Still plenty enough to sustain a $500 million loss.

Kodak has $5 Billion in assets.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:34 ASeven

Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:30:
If the cost rumors are anywhere close to the target, if SWTOR fails, if, then EA's future may be at risk. If the $300M number is anywhere correct, never mind the $500M number, EA won't recover from such a hit no matter what they do.

I don't think you have a grasp on how large EA is. I suggest checking annual reports. A $500 million failure wouldn't doom the company.

I do, it is part of my job after all. They haven't had profits for 3 years now, which means they cannot withstand a huge loss.
In fact they have $1.5 billion in CASH at the moment.

Yeap, but still not having a profit for 3 years. Which means a huge loss will drain them in an instant. Remember, they are a public company, they are vulnerable to the markets and if their stock plummets for any such reason those 1.5B in cash could correspond to their lost stock capital value.

When you are a public company failing at this level can be very, very punishing since the markets tend not to forgive failures. Since you're public your company worth is closely tied to your stock market worth. Having a lot of cash becomes rather meaningless if the stock market starts to punish them.

If they had had profits for the past years or were a private company like Valve you would be 100% correct, nothing would harm them and surely not this. However they are public and subject to the whims of investors, stock holders and people alike.

EDIT: This is why I was and am against game companies going public, they become subjected to forces outside of the gaming industry and that have no clue about gaming. THQ caught a taste of that this week due to a simple silly rumor. If a rumor can shake a large company like THQ, a failed game that cost a huge amount of their own capital will destroy a public company.

47. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:32 Sleep

the loss itself isnt the problem, although it is of course to the balance sheet. the loss of the predicted sales and subs would be a much larger headache for the company and the stock value would reflect that.

46. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:30 Dev

In fact they have $1.5 billion in CASH at the moment, per their last annual.

Edit: down to around $1 billion cash as of last quarterly. Still plenty enough to sustain a $500 million loss.

45. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:29 ASeven

44. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:28 Dev

43. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:26 ASeven

How about watching EA's stock evolution since the beginning right here?

Ironic that SWTOR can potentially become EA's swan song.

42. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:24 CJ_Parker

What a bunch of assholes. They also disable forum posting for maintenance periods when the servers are down. They can shove their parenting attitude where the sun don't shine. I'm not going to pay to be patronized. Fuck you, BioWhore!

41. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:20 Ithilkir

How about this from Marketwatch.com ?
Link

EA falls on broker concerns about 'Star Wars'

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Electronic Arts Inc. fell nearly 3% to $17.75 on Thursday morning after an analyst with Brean Murray Carret & Co. cut his price target on the stock to $22 from $28, citing concerns about the recently released online multi-player game "Star Wars: The Old Republic." In a note to clients, analyst Todd Mitchell wrote that "creeping concerns" about the performance of "Star Wars" -- which was released in late December -- is causing him to trim his earnings estimates for the 2013 fiscal year. "Specifically, initial sales appear to be below expectations, and casual observation of early play is causing us to rethink our churn assumptions," Mitchell wrote.

40. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:20 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:58:
Drezden wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:30:
Whatever, see you nancies later. Cancel your accounts. None of us that enjoy the game will miss you to be honest. Most of the complaints in general chat are about minor bullshit that might I remind you. EVERY MAJOR MMO has gone through. Including your belovedly perfect WoW. Which still, to this day, was the worst MMO launch I have ever been a part of. (Having my guilds server offline for 3 days of release week didn't help that issue).
Good riddance.

'The game... will die. As will your friends characters. Good, I can feel your nerdrage. I am defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your nerdrage and your journey towards to fanboydom will be complete! '

Hahaha well played sir!

39. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:20 Pyloff

Drezden wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:09:
They weren't ready for the sheer numbers of people who were interested in the game, and took no measures to prevent hordes of people from sending servers offline for days at a time. Can't say I've seen one worse.

It actually wasn't that bad. The first day or two they had massive queues and they made new servers on day 3 IIRC. Everyone had a fit because they couldn't play on the server they wanted instead of moving. So the queues continued and everyone who was smart picked a new server.

I haven't tried this MMO; Darkfall ruined the genre for me. However, I might check out the forums to watch the rage build. It is always good for a laugh to see the same people who cycle through every MMO on the forums complaining incessantly. I've found a large portion of the MMO players devote every spare hour to racing to the level cap and alternately bellyaching on any outlet they can find. What is it about these type of games that cause people to get so heated and emotional about? I admit I've fallen victim to it a few times, mostly I've been a fly on the wall.

38. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:18 ASeven

Whatever, see you nancies later. Cancel your accounts. None of us that enjoy the game will miss you to be honest. Most of the complaints in general chat are about minor bullshit that might I remind you. EVERY MAJOR MMO has gone through. Including your belovedly perfect WoW. Which still, to this day, was the worst MMO launch I have ever been a part of. (Having my guilds server offline for 3 days of release week didn't help that issue).
Good riddance.

Biodrone spotted.

Breasts wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:59:
It is f'kin amazing the retards that cancle subs on a brand new MMO after a month.
No long term outlook. Nerd raging about birthing issues.

It's good to lose those twats from the community.
You don't need twats like that in your guild, they're the type that cause the problems.

Rage on, amoebas.

Biodrone spotted, again.

Bioware fanbase is amongst the worst. Even bronies are better than Biodrones.

37. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:13 Dev

Hatyara wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:07:
I would like to see the stock, where can I see this?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ea+stock

Breasts wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:59:
It is f'kin amazing the retards that cancle subs on a brand new MMO after a month.

You don't need twats like that in your guild, they're the type that cause the problems.

Rage on, amoebas.
If I was subscribing and wanted to save my money until they fixed things up and I could enjoy it much more, what would be wrong with temporarily stopping my subscription?

36. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:10 The Half Elf

Darks wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 15:49:
ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 15:23:
Hmm, not posting on the forums reeks of damage control revved to the max. And people not having the sub cancellation button available? Oh dear.

Bioware is in panic mode, and now they shut down the forums to try and keep things in control but all that is doing is making things worst. I cancelled mine after the Slicing nerf.

I got so pissed off about it that I said screw this and canceled mine. Glad I did, because things are spiraling out of control and EA is now looking like shit. But turning off the forums and trying to prevent people from subscription cancelations is just wrong.

Ok so you canceled your account because there was a BUG with slicing giving out double or triple the amount of credits as any other gathering, and was 'nerfed' to be in line with the other skills? I could understand if you were the PVP type with what's been going on lately, but your got super angry pissed because a skill was OP'd?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

35. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:09 Trevellian

Hudson wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 17:03:
EVERY MAJOR MMO has gone through. Including your belovedly perfect WoW. Which still, to this day, was the worst MMO launch I have ever been a part of. (Having my guilds server offline for 3 days of release week didn't help that issue).
Good riddance.

Then you are a rookie... and a moron.

How can anyone that says WoW is their worst launch be taken seriously?

SWTOR is a boring single player game made for people that like to quest grind to cap then cry and complain about grouping just like they did in WoW (then ask for it to be nerfed because they never learned how to play properly in groups). Go fucking play Skyrim

LOL Hardly a rookie. UO, Everquest, Dark Ages, Planetside, RF Online, Conan, Warhammer, even City of Heroes and Lineage. Countless others. I either betatest or try them for the first month. WoW was by far, the worst launch I have seen. They weren't ready for the sheer numbers of people who were interested in the game, and took no measures to prevent hordes of people from sending servers offline for days at a time. Can't say I've seen one worse.

It's hardly a single player game, I've grouped 50% of the time I've been questing in SWTOR, maybe you just have no friends. Thats not my problem. Good luck running a Hard Mode flashpoint by yourself, or Eternity Vault.

How can anyone who doesn't think WoW's launch was abysmal be taken seriously?

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

34. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:07 Hatyara

Antdude wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:15:
What's really sad is watching a once-great company slowly going the way of all other companies that are swallowed up by EA. Bioware simply isn't ready for an MMO(or an RTS, for that matter) and the amount of talent and effort it will take to dig out of it is beyond them currently.

EA's stock is taking a hit today directly because of the SWTOR problems. It's not just a technical issue, but a project management issue, and closing the forums, denying people the ability to unsub, and their perceived inability to fix the latest round of problems brought on by their own patch, just smacks of panic on EA's part. This will destroy Bioware's credibility and will further damage a great IP.

I would like to see the stock, where can I see this?

Edit : On slicing, I noticed that slicing has been unnerfed now. I am once again making 4-6K credits. Which really at level 50 is nothing. I don't understand why slicing was nerfed in the first place. I am making a tonne more money from Underworld Trading and Diplomacy than slicing could ever provide.

The biggest mistake EA made was putting this game in an off the shelf game engine. I don't think this engine can handle large PVP battles (Ilum). The game or server chokes when everyone is using their abilities. They need to fix this.

This game has alot of issues, but I am /bugging every issue I run into. Its time consuming and frankly I feel like I am paying for the privilege of beta testing this game. I will keep up my sub as its something to play in between WoW raiding.

I have finished act 3 on my sith assassin, rolling a sith sorcerer now. Since I have seen the whole story I will just space bar all the way to 50 lol.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 17:18.

33. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:06 Fion

SWTOR is my holdover till TSW and, eventually Guild Wars 2. I'm canceling my account, but not because I dislike the game, but rather because I hate having my monthly fee go out this late in the month. I'll be re-subbing early next month.

And for the record I had absolutely no problem canceling.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 17:14.

32. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:03 Angrius Maximis

EVERY MAJOR MMO has gone through. Including your belovedly perfect WoW. Which still, to this day, was the worst MMO launch I have ever been a part of. (Having my guilds server offline for 3 days of release week didn't help that issue).
Good riddance.

Then you are a rookie... and a moron.

How can anyone that says WoW is their worst launch be taken seriously?

SWTOR is a boring single player game made for people that like to quest grind to cap then cry and complain about grouping just like they did in WoW (then ask for it to be nerfed because they never learned how to play properly in groups). Go fucking play Skyrim

31. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 16:59 Sleep

Drezden wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:51:
eunichron wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:44:
Most of the complaints in general chat are about minor bullshit that might I remind you. EVERY MAJOR MMO has gone through.

And the only reason it is acceptable is because players like you allow it. Why did "good enough" become the standard for MMOs?

Mind you, I like SW:TOR. I'm enjoying it very much, most of the bugs I have encountered do not make the game unplayable, but it obviously needed more time in testing and development. They would have been much better off waiting for a Summer '12 release, and including the 1.1 content at launch, rather than releasing it when they did and in the state that they did.

I didn't say it was acceptable. I said every other major MMO has had similar bugs and issues (barring Ilum which was a disaster, but honestly not too far off from Wintergrasp in terms of retarded design). But since I enjoy the game, I am not going to throw a hissy fit and cancel my account over said bugs that WILL get fixed down the road. I think people are being ridiculous about it. Yes it could have used more time, I was in the last 5 betas and felt like it was only about 80% complete by the time the Open beta began. But EA forced them to push it out and you can't go back. So like I said, going to continue enjoying the game and when shit gets fixed it gets fixed. It's sure as hell better than playing WoW or Rift.

Yeah im sure the 10 million wow subscribers agree with you. Seriously, so you like the game, why attack people who dont? Were not saying youre being a frikkin idiot for paying to test EA's lame ass single player game with co-op elements are we?

30. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 16:59 Breasts

Rage on, amoebas.

169 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo