Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

A Game of Dwarves Revealed

Paradox Interactive reveals plans for A Game of Dwarves, a strategy/management game from Zeal Game Studios coming to Windows and PlayStation Network later this year. This is one of a few tidbits this morning coming out of Paradox's game convention, but there's no official announcement of this yet. Strategy Informer does offer some preliminary details: "The gameplay consists of controlling a settlement of dwarves, who are able to dig, build and conduct research in order to strengthen your clan. You'll need to help the dwarves defend themselves as well, since terrible beasts come from the depths into which they delve. Dwarves can also level up and gain new skills, turning them into hardened warriors or master craftsmen." If the title is a play on A Game of Thrones, at least we can presume that if winter is coming, it should be short.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 20, 2012, 08:40 InBlack

Dont worry about it too much Quboid, the producers are closely following Martin's books and they all end sort of in cliffhangers that make you anticipate the next in line. Season two will bring some closure, some obvious, other...well not so much  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 18:33 Quboid

The accents of the peasants are also a give-away, they match up to London and the English north-east. I just watched episode 10, there seems to be a lack of closure.  

- Quboid

13. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 15:19 TheLeech

Quboid wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 14:32:

Well, it is called fantasy.

Thanks guys, very interesting. I can't help but notice parallels with England: tough, honest Northerners; clean, intelligent Southerners; strange foreign types across the English Cha Narrow Seas and of course, a wall with unspeakable terrors beyond it to the north. Not very imaginative, but very well realised.

AGoH also has the best TV series intro sequence I've ever seen, it's just a shame that there's no scale on the map it shows.

I've seen multiple people read Game of Thrones as a fictionalized War of the Roses, so you're spot on noticing the England parallels.

12. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 14:32 Quboid

Yakubs wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 14:17:
Beamer wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:49:
As someone that hates fantasy, I can tell you the books are well, well worth reading.

Especially if you want to know how a 350-pound man visualizes sexual encounters.

Well, it is called fantasy.

Thanks guys, very interesting. I can't help but notice parallels with England: tough, honest Northerners; clean, intelligent Southerners; strange foreign types across the English Cha Narrow Seas and of course, a wall with unspeakable terrors beyond it to the north. Not very imaginative, but very well realised.

AGoH also has the best TV series intro sequence I've ever seen, it's just a shame that there's no scale on the map it shows.

- Quboid

11. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 14:17 Yakubs

Beamer wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:49:
As someone that hates fantasy, I can tell you the books are well, well worth reading.

Especially if you want to know how a 350-pound man visualizes sexual encounters.

10. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 12:49 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 12:33 PHJF

The Wall is 300 miles long, and from The Wall to the southern tip of Westeros is ~3000 miles. Winterfell to King's Landing is roughly half that. The Narrow Sea is just that, narrow, being ~300 miles wide except down by Dorne where there are a bunch of islands between Essos and Westeros.

Vaes Dothrak is very far inland on Essos, probably about 1000-1250 miles.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 12:03 Minuit

Quboid wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 11:18:
I may have to read the books. Damn you TV, you're supposed to be putting a stop to that!

Even with ten hours of screen time and the original author writing the screenplay, there was a _lot_ that was cut out of AGoT. Most of the important plot and character elements are up there but you're still only getting the Good Parts Version of the story.

The Queen insisted on travelling to Winterfell in the biggest, slowest wheelhouse she could find, stretching the trip out longer than necessary. It's mentioned several times in the book, but is used as little more than scenery in the film.

There are detailed maps of Westeros in each of the books, but no map of Essos existed until A Dance With Dragons. You can find copies of them online if you look around. If you're impatient, the Dothraki Sea is about as big as all of Westeros and Vaes Dothrak is right in the middle of it so Danaerys is far, far, far away from home. It's quite surprising that the King is able to get any news at all about her, isn't it?

As for the spoilery bits yes, a lot of time was cut out of her story. Most of it involved just riding around on horses with her idiot brother, so you're not missing anything critical, but the book tells a lot more.

I'm afraid you may have no choice but to read it now.

7. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 11:31 SimplyMonk

Frijoles wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 10:55:
Yakubs wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 10:42:
Soooo.... Dwarf Fortress for consoles?

Not unless the dwarfs can go insane and kill everyone!

One (the only?) of the developers is answering a few questions (once he has permission) on the Bay12 Forums. From how he phrases it though it will be nowhere near as complex as DF. More like a Dungeon Keeper Complexity/DF theme merger.

6. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 11:30 ASeven

Fuck now I have to go and play more DF.

5. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 11:18 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 10:38:
I loled at the last sentence. Bravo Blue, Bravo!

T'was excellent, Blue Lol_dies

I've been watching Game of Thrones season 1, I've seen the first 9 episodes so no naked spoilers please. It's brilliant, up there with Band of Brothers as the greatest TV. A few things are confusing, probably due to having too much content for 10 episodes, time and distance in particular aren't clear.

They mention the King taking a month to get to Winterfell at the start, but people seem to go between Winterfell and King's Landing in no time afterwards. How far apart are they and how long does it take a fewEssos lone riders (presumably a lot faster than the King's entourage) to get between them? How wide is are Narrow Seas and how far into Essos is Vaes Dothrak?

Also, timing. (Game of Thrones spoiler) The Khaleesis is suddenly pregnant and in what felt like a couple of weeks, was giving birth (I suspect prematurally but I suspect the next episode will clarify) - presumably the birth means it is was at least 8 months and perhaps a year after the marriage. I don't get any sense of time passing between journeys and events. I think this is because there's just too much content to stuff in.

I may have to read the books. Damn you TV, you're supposed to be putting a stop to that!

- Quboid

4. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 10:55 Frijoles

Not unless the dwarfs can go insane and kill everyone!

3. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 10:49 Riker

Are they serious about that title?  

2. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 10:42 Yakubs

1. Re: A Game of Dwarves Revealed Jan 19, 2012, 10:38 InBlack

I loled at the last sentence. Bravo Blue, Bravo!  

I have a nifty blue line!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo