Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch

This forum post follows up on the PvP issues in the new version 1.1 patch for Star Wars: The Old Republic, the MMORPG an analyst now claims cost EA as much as $500M to develop (thanks Joao). The post explains that a game mechanic is not working as intended under heavy loads, and that this will be addressed by a new lower population limit on the Ilum server and an emergency patch, forcing them to immediately contradict their promise of 24 hours advance notice for maintenance (this subsequent post indicates patching is underway at this very moment). They also address rumors exaggerating the extent of the problem, saying: "To dispel a couple of rumors that have been seen today Ė there is no Valor gain from destroying turrets within enemy bases, and none from killing NPCs." Finally, the post relates word from Associate Community Manager Joveth Gonzalez that they are considering actions to address the worst abuses of this situation:

I just wanted to be clear and let you all know that weíre definitely aware of individuals who took extreme advantage of this situation and we will be carefully evaluating and taking action as necessary.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:14 RollinThundr

While I have been enjoying the PVE and flashpoints with RL friends, this is inexcusable bad design on Bioware's part (gee huge shock there) That they're trying to blame the player base on top of their terrible design decisions is par for the course.

I guess the dump trucks of money the doc's recieved from selling out the way they did changed them, because Bioware has not been the same since really ME2's development.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:13 Wallshadows

At level 45 it cost you over 45K to train one skill. Thatís absurd!

Yeah, this is definitely another weird factor in the game. For example, it would cost me ~28k credits to upgrade my Corrosive Dart skill but the difference in damage is simply far to low to justify the cost even though I have more than enough credits to cover it. Factor in all skills and you're looking at 300k credits + easy

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 11:54 Darks

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 11:30:
There's a huge storm on the forums about this and it seems as though the moderators/community managers/designers are getting torn to shreds based on the feedback they have provided to the community with page after page of users saying they've cancelled their subs.

This is really a pivotal moment for SWTOR as a whole, regardless of whether it's PvP or PvE related because it's the principle that they are barely taking responsibility for this disaster, allowing those who participated in the spawn camping to keep rank/valor, and the time it actually took to even address the issue on top of the time it took to actually bring down Ilum.

The fact of the matter is is that their 'best people in the business' really fucked up with Ilum on so many levels. There shouldn't even be an instant kill mechanic in the first place, just put in more turrets that actually hit hard which do AOE damage along with boss-level guards and the problem solves itself. Don't blame the terrible PvP design flaws solely on your shitty Hero engine...

I like the game from a PvE stand point, I really do, but this has really left a sour taste in my mouth and for this to happen within the first month while trying to build a user base is simply jaw dropping by any standards.

I would have to agree with you that it is a pivotal moment if this MMO survives. Itís not just the PVP screw ups that are hurting this game. There are many other aspects like the Hugh nerfing Slicing took to the issues people are having with the overly high prices to train.

At level 45 it cost you over 45K to train one skill. Thatís absurd! Credits are a big issue with many people not having enough of. Also along with many other issues like EA or Bioware not talking to the community before taking such drastic measures at changing balancing or just ignoring users completely. They are losing subs but Iím not sure how many. If EAs not carful this may become the biggest flopped MMO in history.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 11:40 Wallshadows

InBlack, the issue was that they changed the way Ilum functioned in order to complete your daily and weekly PvP quests in order to get PvP bags.

Prior to 1.1, all you had to was capture 5/15 nodes in order to complete your daily/weekly quest without actually having to kill everyone. Unfortunately, it boiled down to simply win-trading at one node with little to no actual fighting.

However, once 1.1 came out, they changed the requirements for the daily/weekly to 30/150 kills. The downside to this is that the Republic are vastly lower in number to the Imperials on most servers and Ilum is such a huge zone. So what happened was the Repuplic players who were in the zone ended up getting spawn camped at their base by a very large force of Imperial players.

By doing this, it essentially held the Republic players hostage since they were unable to move out of the area or able to spawn at another medicenter. They would spawn, die, spawn, die and so forth. They couldn't do anything but continue to do this or simply log out and hope that by the time they log back in later, the Imperials would be gone.

The 'intended' mechanic was that an enemy would get instantly killed upon setting foot in to the other teams fortress but simply did not happen. Meanwhile, all two turrets simply do not push enough damage (they don't even AOE) and were also being destroyed as fast as they respawned.

It basically boils down in to Imperials camping the whole Republic base and getting obscene amounts of valor points which will likely not be rolled back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL0kDP_Cexo

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 11:36 ASeven

$500M? That does beat EAluser's $300M claim and to be honest I do believe this game may have cost an insane amount of money.

Let's see, a partnership with Lucasarts (Lucas is known for demanding a significant amount of money when he does partnerships with third parties), the long time it took in development and the size of the team coupled with the exponential rising costs of developing games, the huge amount of voice-actors... Everything adds to quite a considerable amount of money spent on making this game. How much that amount is is anyone's guess but somehow I have a feeling $300M isn't too far from that amount. If this game tanks I can easily see EA getting in a lot of financial trouble.

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 11:30 Wallshadows

There's a huge storm on the forums about this and it seems as though the moderators/community managers/designers are getting torn to shreds based on the feedback they have provided to the community with page after page of users saying they've cancelled their subs.

This is really a pivotal moment for SWTOR as a whole, regardless of whether it's PvP or PvE related because it's the principle that they are barely taking responsibility for this disaster, allowing those who participated in the spawn camping to keep rank/valor, and the time it actually took to even address the issue on top of the time it took to actually bring down Ilum.

The fact of the matter is is that their 'best people in the business' really fucked up with Ilum on so many levels. There shouldn't even be an instant kill mechanic in the first place, just put in more turrets that actually hit hard which do AOE damage along with boss-level guards and the problem solves itself. Don't blame the terrible PvP design flaws solely on your shitty Hero engine...

I like the game from a PvE stand point, I really do, but this has really left a sour taste in my mouth and for this to happen within the first month while trying to build a user base is simply jaw dropping by any standards.

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 10:52 Fibrocyte

Sempai wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 10:42:
Don't blame players for your complete failure Bioware.
This game is such a fucking turd.
It makes one wonder where all that money went.
So far the Hero engine does not impress(someone sucked someones dick)the game is a stuttering mess on high end rigs in 2012 and yet the game looks like 2001, let's not speak of complete mind boggling shit like Anti-Aliasing FINALLY being implemented into the game this week.
A UI right out of 1994 and STILL cannot move a gdamned window on my screen.

This steamy pile of excrement needed another year in the oven but of course they just had to get it out before Christmas.
I'm trying to stay interested in my 45 Powertech and 33 Sith but at this point it feels as if i've been conned into yet another mmo scam by folks who knew their product wasn't ready for prime time and pushed it out anyway.

Oh yeah, this is EA, what am i thinking?

Bigcry

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 10:47 InBlack

Just to be clear (and for the lulz i guess) what exactly was the issue? I assume it was some kind of exploit?  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 10:42 Sempai

Don't blame players for your complete failure Bioware.
This game is such a fucking turd.
It makes one wonder where all that money went.
So far the Hero engine does not impress(someone sucked someones dick)the game is a stuttering mess on high end rigs in 2012 and yet the game looks like 2001, let's not speak of complete mind boggling shit like Anti-Aliasing FINALLY being implemented into the game this week.
A UI right out of 1994 and STILL cannot move a gdamned window on my screen.

This steamy pile of excrement needed another year in the oven but of course they just had to get it out before Christmas.
I'm trying to stay interested in my 45 Powertech and 33 Sith but at this point it feels as if i've been conned into yet another mmo scam by folks who knew their product wasn't ready for prime time and pushed it out anyway.

Oh yeah, this is EA, what am i thinking?

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo