Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch

This forum post follows up on the PvP issues in the new version 1.1 patch for Star Wars: The Old Republic, the MMORPG an analyst now claims cost EA as much as $500M to develop (thanks Joao). The post explains that a game mechanic is not working as intended under heavy loads, and that this will be addressed by a new lower population limit on the Ilum server and an emergency patch, forcing them to immediately contradict their promise of 24 hours advance notice for maintenance (this subsequent post indicates patching is underway at this very moment). They also address rumors exaggerating the extent of the problem, saying: "To dispel a couple of rumors that have been seen today Ė there is no Valor gain from destroying turrets within enemy bases, and none from killing NPCs." Finally, the post relates word from Associate Community Manager Joveth Gonzalez that they are considering actions to address the worst abuses of this situation:

I just wanted to be clear and let you all know that weíre definitely aware of individuals who took extreme advantage of this situation and we will be carefully evaluating and taking action as necessary.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 20, 2012, 01:46 Eldaron Imotholin

Sempai wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 23:12:
Spoiled entitlement?

Let me educate you my small, silly, delusional friend.
I pay dollars($60 to $150,the latter in my case)for a product/service, when it fails to deliver i then get to voice my dissatisfaction to the company who is full of shit.

Do i expect perfection? Of course not. Do i expect prompt action and fixes? Yes, are we getting those from Bioware? No.

So kindly open your door, go outside, and play hide and go fuck yourself.

Have a great day!

Bioware is doing nothing else but fixing the issues of this newborn MMO. Hell, they even made the difficult choice of doing that during daytime! Which was fucking annoying but it certainly proves you're talking crap.

Also, that you pay $150,- for a game says more about you than what you are trying to say about the game.

You're full of crap, pal. If you find it such a pile of shit, I wonder how you got to these pretty high levels with those two characters.

Talk about delusional..

Tone that hate down a little.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2012, 02:03.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 23:12 Sempai

Jdrez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 14:21:
Sempai wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 10:42:
This steamy pile of excrement needed another year in the oven but of course they just had to get it out before Christmas.

Have you ever played an mmorpg before? No MMO in history has had as stable a launch, or as much content at launch. Not even WoW.

Your sense of spoiled entitlement is frigging incredible.

Spoiled entitlement?

Let me educate you my small, silly, delusional friend.
I pay dollars($60 to $150,the latter in my case)for a product/service, when it fails to deliver i then get to voice my dissatisfaction to the company who is full of shit.

Do i expect perfection? Of course not. Do i expect prompt action and fixes? Yes, are we getting those from Bioware? No.

So kindly open your door, go outside, and play hide and go fuck yourself.

Have a great day!

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 19:18 Eldaron Imotholin

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 18:23:
Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 15:12:
Woo, BiowarEA you got F'd in the A!

Good thing we won't see these problems in GW2.

Oh yeah, in the words of Nelson...HA HA!

So when GW2 ships with some bugs as all mmo's do, we can point at this post and laugh? Wave that dickhole around some more there Cutter. Rolleyes2

GW isn't even remotely the same type of MMO WoW and SW are. I never understood why people were comparing in the first place.

By all means, Cutter, go hop to your Guild Wars and shut up while doing so. I am absolutely stunned by the fact that there's a GW gamer stereotype. All of them are like: "You go play that buggy crap! Cya in GW2 mihahahaha!"

It's pathetic. You're pathetic.

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 18:23 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 15:12:

So when GW2 ships with some bugs as all mmo's do, we can point at this post and laugh? Wave that dickhole around some more there Cutter. Rolleyes2

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 16:31 Dev

Sounds to me its like
"these aren't the droids you are looking for, move along"

They say there's no valor gain from NPCs and turrets, but from what I read of the comments in this thread thats NOT the problem! The problem is spawn camping and killing PLAYERS for valor gains (which are greatly increased because of the total territories owned by being on the "winning" team).

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 16:37.

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 15:27 Narf2029

I know. I love it when I upgrade a skill and the new damage range falls halfway into the old damage range. That's just ridiculous. I can afford it since all of my characters have Slicing (which is still a good moneymaker as long as you go outside to harvest nodes), but it's still basically a waste of money.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 15:18 Wallshadows

If there was some kind of noticeable gain from upgrading skills then I would have no issue upgrading to the next level. However, as I said, the damage from one level to the next is just so negligible that there is really no point to sink 28k credits when you could dump that 28k on a really nice item from the GTN which will yield much better results for every skill you have.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/26438908.png/ < my alt

Most of the upgrade costs are just money sinks for what they provide and it's not a matter of just going out to quest for an hour to work up the money. It's simply not worth it for certain skills and if it boils down to either skill training or buying that amazing Prototype item in the GTN, well, I'm taking the item in the GTN.

As far as credits go, I've fully funded two level 50 characters, both with full inventory, modifications, cargo space and rank 3 speeder training with about 3 million credits sitting on my main. Sure, I can dump a measly 28k in to a skill but when that skill only nets me 42 extra damage then what the hell is the point...

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 15:37.

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 15:12 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 14:44 eunichron

Jdrez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 14:21:
This steamy pile of excrement needed another year in the oven but of course they just had to get it out before Christmas.

Have you ever played an mmorpg before? No MMO in history has had as stable a launch, or as much content at launch. Not even WoW.

Actually, Rift was more stable, had less bugs, and just as much, if not more content at launch.

WoW's launch (yes I played WoW at launch) was awful. I don't think I even paid for my first 4 months of the game because of the free game time they were crediting everyone.

SWTOR by comparison is a decent launch, but there are still a lot quality of life bugs and missing features that were ubiquitous in beta that they never fixed. It is very obvious that their beta testing program was poor (they had a very very small number of regular testers) and that they pushed the game out the doors betting that people would forgive them because "it's an MMO, it's supposed to be broken at launch!"

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 14:52.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 14:44 Respen

Darks wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:27:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:13:
At level 45 it cost you over 45K to train one skill. Thatís absurd!

Yeah, this is definitely another weird factor in the game. For example, it would cost me ~28k credits to upgrade my Corrosive Dart skill but the difference in damage is simply far to low to justify the cost even though I have more than enough credits to cover it. Factor in all skills and you're looking at 300k credits + easy

You know that sad part about this? I know someone directly involved and at the top of Bioware and I brought up many of these points to them and I pretty much got the, we know but we are not going to do a damn thing about it. To say I was pissed off is an understatement.

Really? Just because it's a high number does not mean that's a lot of cash. I'm a lvl 45 sentinel in SWTOR, have spent half a mil on inventory and cargo space alone, I've also put 265k into my advanced speeder and training for it and at least 200k into tradeskills. So what if it takes you an hour of quest grinding to buy a skill.

There are arguments to be made about the game, but this is not one of them. If anything I wish it took more effort, I feel like I've been handed everything as it is. I don't remember ever not having at least 100k in the bank... much less not having enough for skills.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 15:03.

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 14:21 Jdrez

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 14:03 Fibrocyte

A companion of mine just failed a Diplomacy mission and I received "+1.10000000000238419" Light Points.

The game is buggy, but I'm enjoying it.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 13:10 PropheT

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 11:30:
There's a huge storm on the forums about this and it seems as though the moderators/community managers/designers are getting torn to shreds based on the feedback they have provided to the community with page after page of users saying they've cancelled their subs.

There's a huge storm about everything on the forums and there has been since before the game even launched. They might be the single worst forums I've ever seen for a game, ever, and are even worse than Warcraft's forums were... so it's beyond difficult to take them even a little seriously.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:54 ASeven

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:49:
ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:46:
Woah if this pic is true SWTOR is in deep shit and so is EA.

It's not. This is the original pic.

Ah, I thought it was weird for stat sites to already have the subscribers numbers for SWTOR so early in the game.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:49 Eldaron Imotholin

ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:46:

It's not. This is the original pic.

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:46 Eldaron Imotholin

They fuck up and punish the player. This is ridiculous. Even if I was among the Republicans who got almost literally raped on Ilum.. I'd find that simply ridiculous.

But hey, SWToR has "ridiculous" written all over it.. and that's coming from a player who so far enjoys the game.

They have put WAY too much time and money in giving every quest NPC voice-over. It was over-ambitious, ridiculous and eventually a tedious feature. What they should have put that time and money in instead was making both the class quests and planets main quests far more impressive while keeping the meaningless sidequests without voice-acting.

For those who haven't played it... sometimes you have to listen to a guy for about 3 minutes, after that you accept the quest and you have to listen to anothe 20 seconds of voice-over as he's telling you how important it is for him that you complete the mission. When the bla-bla is done, it turns out all you have to do is destroy three rancor eggs, for example. The quest will not have follow ups and after you've finished it you'll never speak to the guy again.

Over-ambitious. Ridiculous. Tedious.

And we are talking about tens of millions of dollars that have been invested in that feature. Fuck me silly...

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:46 ASeven

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:36 Ozmodan

Two faction open world pvp is just asking for problems. You really need at least a 3rd faction. People will abuse it to no end if you let them when it comes to earning faction points.  

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:32 ASeven

Interesting news. SWTOR is making EA shares fall sharply.  

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Emergency Patch Jan 19, 2012, 12:27 Darks

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 12:13:
At level 45 it cost you over 45K to train one skill. Thatís absurd!

Yeah, this is definitely another weird factor in the game. For example, it would cost me ~28k credits to upgrade my Corrosive Dart skill but the difference in damage is simply far to low to justify the cost even though I have more than enough credits to cover it. Factor in all skills and you're looking at 300k credits + easy

You know that sad part about this? I know someone directly involved and at the top of Bioware and I brought up many of these points to them and I pretty much got the, we know but we are not going to do a damn thing about it. To say I was pissed off is an understatement.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo