Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems

A prominent update on the Star Wars: The Old Republic Website has word that the promised version 1.1 update is now live in BioWare's MMORPG. A more obscure post on the game's forums acknowledges issues related to PvP in Ilum following the update. An update on this is promised "shortly." Meanwhile, the 200+ page thread is filled with outrage over faction balance issues, which Kotaku attempts to summarize in one place. Thanks nin.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 09:43 Stormsinger

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 05:43:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 21:06:
Personally I couldn't care less about PvP issues...it's just not my cup of tea.

What gets to me is that this is now the second update I've had to get, and the second time I get an "Error in update" message, which forces a repair that means effectively downloading the entire app again...all 5+ GB of it. Two for two isn't very impressive.

I haven't had any issues updating - even on multiple computers. Which AV do you use? Have you tried disabling it in advance?

I'm using Avast, and no, I didn't disable it in advance. Why would I after only one error? Next time I -might- consider it, but damned if I can figure out why TOR would be the only downloader affected.

The real issue with it isn't even that it had an error. It's that "repair" apparently means download everything from scratch. That's just stupid and lazy on the part of the author(s) of the launcher.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 09:31 RollinThundr

briktal wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 09:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 09:06:
Flatline wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 04:13:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 20:52:
Yeah, what a huge over sight the change to Ilum was and really no excuse that the glaringly obvious outcome was not caught prior to the release. Ilum is a mess and they're paying for it with massive backlash from the community and it's justifiable in this case.

The issue ultimately stems from the imbalance in the factions which, from what I hear, heavily favors Imperial over Republic in most cases. It basically boiled down to the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL0kDP_Cexo

That reminds me of the situation I was in the first time I decided to quit WoW after being talked by my friends into a pvp server.

Wow that does look bad. What does this bug entail? Groups of a faction accessing areas they shouldn't? Or is it just due to most people prefering to play Sith? If it's the latter I don't really see how they can address people wanting to play that particular faction over playing as the rebel scum that the Rebellion is.

Whatever methods they had for keeping people out of the other faction's base failed. With a new game and a new patch giving people a good reason to go to the planet, the larger side could and did spawncamp the smaller faction on many/most servers.

Gotcha thanks for the clarification. Just hit 50 last night on a BH Merc actually, still really yet to do any PVP at all aside from an instance here and there.

23. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 09:24 briktal

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 09:06:
Yeah, what a huge over sight the change to Ilum was and really no excuse that the glaringly obvious outcome was not caught prior to the release. Ilum is a mess and they're paying for it with massive backlash from the community and it's justifiable in this case.

The issue ultimately stems from the imbalance in the factions which, from what I hear, heavily favors Imperial over Republic in most cases. It basically boiled down to the video below:

That reminds me of the situation I was in the first time I decided to quit WoW after being talked by my friends into a pvp server.

Wow that does look bad. What does this bug entail? Groups of a faction accessing areas they shouldn't? Or is it just due to most people prefering to play Sith? If it's the latter I don't really see how they can address people wanting to play that particular faction over playing as the rebel scum that the Rebellion is.

Whatever methods they had for keeping people out of the other faction's base failed. With a new game and a new patch giving people a good reason to go to the planet, the larger side could and did spawncamp the smaller faction on many/most servers.

22. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 09:06 RollinThundr

21. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 08:29 Yifes

Doombringer wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 00:27:
The faction imbalance: again, this is news?

Yeah, you need 3 sides for world pvp. Bring on Guild Wars 2.

20. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 05:43 Fibrocyte

Stormsinger wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 21:06:
Personally I couldn't care less about PvP issues...it's just not my cup of tea.

What gets to me is that this is now the second update I've had to get, and the second time I get an "Error in update" message, which forces a repair that means effectively downloading the entire app again...all 5+ GB of it. Two for two isn't very impressive.

I haven't had any issues updating - even on multiple computers. Which AV do you use? Have you tried disabling it in advance?

19. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 04:13 Flatline

18. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 01:36 ColoradoHoudini

We know every MMO has had these problems, but you'd think they'd address that issue.. ya know, being as it has been around since MMO Day 1.

Ever since I hit the worlds in TOR that have a chance of me seeing the other faction, I can make a pretty accurate guess and say that I have seen ..maybe.. 20 in total. That's across (best guess).. 4 planets, and now just having got to the last planet, I haven't seen one player of the other faction. We talk in general chat about how we never see the other faction. 2 nights ago on Belsavis two guildmates and I killed one Repub dude 3 times, by accident on the 3rd and he actually said "it appears I am the only target out here".. and we apologized as, hey, we will open world PvP, but when we see this faction imbalance, it's just ridiculous.

I dunno man, cross-server open world pvp zones? Maybe a cap.. but something high.. that the servers can handle and yet we still feel like it's a huge battle.

17. Re: Huttball, blah... Jan 19, 2012, 00:55 FloorPie

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 23:37:
Did they add the ability to queue for the battleground you want to do yet?

Got sick and tired of doing Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, something else, Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, so stopped queuing. If I wanted to play a sport's game I would be playing something else.

I've been rather confused by some of the "WTF?!" decisions Bioware has made, but still trying to enjoy the game.

Yeah huttball does get boring. I've not run a lot of pvp matches but its not too bad when grouped with friends. My favorite bug though is that it drops you from your group everytime you leave the pvp match. It keeps you in the pvp queue though. So I've jumped into the next queue forgetting that I'm no longer in group with my guildmates.

16. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 00:27 Doombringer

The PVP exploit: not the first, not the last, in any and every MMO. Players find ways around content blocks and even the best bug-hunting. I can't tell you how many times WoW has PTR'd a patch for months... it launches... and bugs still abound. Often, they are bugs that were even reported many times in PTR.

The faction imbalance: again, this is news? It happens. People want to play what they want to play, and where they want to play it. For years, many WoW servers were plagued with this problem... any open-world PVP saw more Alliance players over Horde, or more skilled Horde over Alliance, etc, etc. All a matter of perspective. Cross-realm PVP would balance this, but any per-realm PVP will always be subject to however that server's factions are "stacked." Fact of life. If players clamor for "open world PVP" they have to accept the reality of their server's faction landscape.

What boggles me most is that some people are treating this as if its the first time this has ever happened in an MMO. Hello? Every MMO has these problems. WoW has, and still has, these problems... 7 years in!

15. Huttball, blah... Jan 18, 2012, 23:37 JohnBirshire

Did they add the ability to queue for the battleground you want to do yet?

Got sick and tired of doing Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, something else, Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, Huttball, so stopped queuing. If I wanted to play a sport's game I would be playing something else.

I've been rather confused by some of the "WTF?!" decisions Bioware has made, but still trying to enjoy the game.

14. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 22:50 nin

Well, if you're not going to be playing past the first month, why would you care about a title anyway?

I just think it's tacky, and the timing couldn't be worse.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 22:46 jacobvandy

They give you two months to re-subscribe, at least, which I might actually do. As of tomorrow, though, I'm letting it run out.  

12. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 22:45 Stormsinger

nin wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 22:34:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 22:26:
We would like to thank each and every one of you for helping to make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches of all time. To show our appreciation, from now through March 19th, 2012, 12:01AM EST, we are rewarding early members of The Old Republic community with a unique Founder’s medal* and title.

What a wonderful time to introduce this.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=198797

I like the fine print that says it only applies to people who are billed at least one cycle. So thanks for buying the game, but this only applies to those that fork over another $15...

Really?

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120118-0

Well, if you're not going to be playing past the first month, why would you care about a title anyway?

11. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 22:34 nin

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 22:26:
We would like to thank each and every one of you for helping to make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches of all time. To show our appreciation, from now through March 19th, 2012, 12:01AM EST, we are rewarding early members of The Old Republic community with a unique Founder’s medal* and title.

I like the fine print that says it only applies to people who are billed at least one cycle. So thanks for buying the game, but this only applies to those that fork over another $15...

Really?

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120118-0

10. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 22:26 Wallshadows

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

9. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 21:30 jacobvandy

Forget the valor, the new Ilum PVP objective requirements are ridiculously steep for the size of the battlefield and how few people there are usually out there at any given time. Add in the faction imbalance and it's borderline impossible.  

8. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 21:29 Wallshadows

It definitely took me a while to get used to the GTN interface and it is in sore need of an overhaul. Namely, I would love for the search filed to be useable right from the start rather than select the correct option, search, and then search again. Tabbing through would also be pretty nice too.

The trick I found to using the GTN is to really sell below the suggested price. I farm level 40 champions out on Hoth from time to time which drop custom and sometimes artifact-grade gear and throw it on the GTN for 2/3 the asking price and it just flies off. It could be the gear, but at the same time I believe most people see the suggested price and take that as a baseline and will either list it for that price or add on to it. If three people have the same item and just list it without changing the price, that severely limits your chance of selling an item especially if it happens often...

Then again, it could just be an issue related to the population and the fact that I am on Corellia Run (Imperial) which is one of the most populated Eastern PvE server.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

7. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 21:29 Sepharo

I canceled yesterday. The story and voice acting are a nice change of pace in the same ol' same ol' MMO formula but that's all I got out of it. Didn't want to pay anymore, guess I'll have to wait until F2P to finish the story.  

6. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 21:21 nin

They're really at a critical point between having a great game and having a game with a lot of small, yet really annoying issues (pvp, post 50 non-raid content, auction house, jumping through travel hoops to meet up with friends, not being able to have the item upgrade window and vendor window open at the same time, etc).

I think I've given up on the AH. It takes too long to list shit, and even with I list below everyone else, stuff rarely sells.

They got the story right, but the rest of the annoyances are quickly adding up.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo