Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 09:58 wtf_man

rist3903 wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 09:42:
turning off javascript enabled US visitors to view wikipedia during the blackout. at least thats what i read on some news sites. i dont visit wikipedia on a regular basis so was not able to test it.

Ah I was wondering why it wasn't blacked out for me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah... it wasn't blacked-out for those of us that use No Scripts for Firefox, or Not Scripts for Chrome.

Scripts are bad, mkay. You can get drive by malware from any legitimate site that is infected or their advertising engines.

Whitelist only sites you trust and vist frequently, and keep scripting turned off for sites you browse occasionally... temporarily turn it on, if you really have to, for those sites.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 09:42 rist3903

turning off javascript enabled US visitors to view wikipedia during the blackout. at least thats what i read on some news sites. i dont visit wikipedia on a regular basis so was not able to test it.

Ah I was wondering why it wasn't blacked out for me. Thanks for clearing that up.

6. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 09:38 zirik

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 03:01:
That you never want all your knowledge, ONLINE. Because right when you need it, some political activists just might black out wikipedia for a day, or week, or month.

seems to me you missed out on the concept of wikipedia and how it became popular with user submitted content that in the beginning were mostly plagiarized information. without due process SOPA and PIPA would have prevented wikipedia from getting their act together like it has today. so yeah complain about the politics and enjoy your free internet. the two are increasingly dependent on each other.

5. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 06:18 TheVocalMinority

RoverRoverRover wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 00:02:
What a horribly biased article.

The expected response from the doctrinal system. You will be seeing more of this sort of thing I am sure.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

4. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 03:01 eRe4s3r

Wikipedia is online knowledge

And what did Wikipedia just demonstrate?

That you never want all your knowledge, ONLINE. Because right when you need it, some political activists just might black out wikipedia for a day, or week, or month.

This black out might have done more damage to the idea of a wikipedia than false articles and edit-wars ever could. My first search today? Offline Wikipedia reader

3. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 01:42 zirik

Bhruic wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 00:47:
Wikipedia even did it fairly well, in that they only seemed to block the site for US users. At least, up here, I could access the site all day fine, so I'm assuming they must not have blocked it globally.

2. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 00:47 Bhruic

Wikipedia even did it fairly well, in that they only seemed to block the site for US users. At least, up here, I could access the site all day fine, so I'm assuming they must not have blocked it globally.  

1. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 00:02 RoverRoverRover

What a horribly biased article. It mentions nothing about the harmful effects of SOPA and PIPA, and tries to make Wikipedia look like a bunch of bleeding hearts for educating the public about this proposed legislation.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo