Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online F2P Begins

Perfect World Entertainment announces the beginning of the promised free-to-play era for Star Trek Online, the Trekkie MMORPG:

"We couldn't be more excited," said Jack Emmert, CEO, Cryptic Studios, Inc. "Updating Star Trek Online to the popular free-to-play model removes those barriers of entry that previously kept fans and casual gamers away. Anyone can download and play Star Trek Online at no cost. There's no better way to see how sitting in the captain's chair feels."

With the launch of Star Trek Online free-to-play, anyone can download and play the game for free without a retail copy or subscription. All players may enjoy Star Trek Online's many features for free. Players do, however, have the ability to access additional optional features through a virtual store.

In Star Trek Online, the Star Trek universe truly comes to life on a massive scale. Players captain their own starships as part of the Federation or Klingon Empire in a persistent online universe, journey to strange new worlds and take part in epic ground and space missions.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 19, 2012, 06:21 InBlack

I had problems, but somehow managed to log in. I have no idea how because it took me at least three tries, and then it took me to some link account bullshit page. And then it still refused to log me in, I pressed skip or some button and suddenly I was in. Really FUBARED and non-sensical. Also I have to download new ATI drivers because at character creation I couldnt see my char.

Once you get into the game its quite cool. The UI is a little bit overwhelming at first but that could be simply because Im unused to MMO UIs.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 23:54 Ant

Lokust wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 23:48:
I was going to try this because the trailer looked interesting, but then I looked at the features matrix linked below and saw that if you want to play klingon, you have to grind out 25 levels as federation first. I have no idea how long that takes, but fuck that. Don't advertise something in your trailer and not even have it available to new players.
Oh that's lame indeed. I also couldn't sign up for a new account. I tried my old one for beta, but it doesn't recognize it. Frak it.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 23:48 Lokust

I was going to try this because the trailer looked interesting, but then I looked at the features matrix linked below and saw that if you want to play klingon, you have to grind out 25 levels as federation first. I have no idea how long that takes, but fuck that. Don't advertise something in your trailer and not even have it available to new players.  

23. Re: Cannot respec Jan 18, 2012, 21:54 Wildone

I couldn't even start the game, it wasn't accepting my login info, I reset it twice and could log onto the main site but not the game. Forget it.  

22. Re: Cannot respec Jan 18, 2012, 06:36 InBlack

Guybrush what class ship do you command?  

21. Cannot respec Jan 18, 2012, 06:34 Darth Guybrush

Stays greyed out. Am a Vice Admiral 50 and a paid subscriber too. WTF?  

==
Steam: Darth Guybrush
XBox Live: Darth Guybrush

20. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 06:13 InBlack

Ive been dying to try this out, now that Ive stopped playing World of Tanks. Anyone here on Blue's play this with some impressions tips?  

19. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 05:29 Acleacius

It looks much more like the LotRO, than the EQ2 F2P launch disaster and a good thing, imo.

Features Matrix

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2012, 06:17.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 04:18 Kajetan

eunichron wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 03:43:
I never understood the F2P model for MMOs.
It's easy. Lure the player into spending much, MUCH more money in the games item shop, than he is willing to pay for a subscription fee.

Until someone thinks of a better model for MMOs, one that is profitable and doesn't give players 1/4 of the experience, "F2P" in this genre will always be synonymous with failure.
There a quite a few F2P-But-P2W-MMOs which make a good fortune. This business model may be a long-term failure for the stupid and naive gamer, but its a proven and sucessful business scheme.

17. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 04:15 Asmo

I never understood the F2P model for MMOs. It works for games like Tribes: Ascend and the various MOBA games because the player is not barred from content, it just takes more time investment if you choose not to pay. The MMORPG F2P model, however, basically gives you a crippled game that forces you to pay if you want to experience anything beyond a basic trial. Until someone thinks of a better model for MMOs, one that is profitable and doesn't give players 1/4 of the experience, "F2P" in this genre will always be synonymous with failure.

Not always. LOTRO gates you by making you grind out achievements in areas (kill x of this, find this thing etc) to get points to buy content. You can literally play everything in game if you spend an eternity grinding it out. DDO is the same, although I just sub in for a month or two every now and again when I feel the urge rather than fuck around with grinding points (which mostly get spent on bigger banks/bags ; )

16. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 03:43 eunichron

I never understood the F2P model for MMOs. It works for games like Tribes: Ascend and the various MOBA games because the player is not barred from content, it just takes more time investment if you choose not to pay. The MMORPG F2P model, however, basically gives you a crippled game that forces you to pay if you want to experience anything beyond a basic trial. Until someone thinks of a better model for MMOs, one that is profitable and doesn't give players 1/4 of the experience, "F2P" in this genre will always be synonymous with failure.  

15. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 03:39 Theo

Acleacius wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 01:10:
Is there a Blues server (if I can ever get logged in)?

I sent a email to PWE Customer Support, at least I got a conformation email on that!

Its 1 big server, alwasy has been

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

14. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 01:28 The Half Elf

Better yes and no. When it was going to be a subscription MMO it was good, but the game just went through the Star Wars Galaxies equivalent of the NGE. It's all pay to win, and dumbed down to get more people playing.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 01:10 Acleacius

Is there a Blues server (if I can ever get logged in)?

I sent a email to PWE Customer Support, at least I got a conformation email on that!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 00:45 Ant

Is the game any better since its beta days? I kind of liked it. Also, can we use our old account from beta days?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 00:33 zip xavier

What they meant to say was this.

"We're excited to announce that the Star Trek Online MMO has officially failed."

10. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 00:29 Teddy

Lorcin wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 22:54:

"We have strong hopes that within the next 18 months Star Trek Online will join other MMO luminaries such as The Matrix Online and be retired forever to the Hall of Fame.

Don't you have to be good to get into the Hall of Fame?

9. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 18, 2012, 00:28 Cabezone

bah...nm  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

8. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 17, 2012, 23:39 Techie714 ©

The new features have been getting some good press. I'll have to check this out soon.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Star Trek Online F2P Begins Jan 17, 2012, 23:14 Acleacius

Cabezone wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 22:10:
Errr....there is no email. When using the free version you just log in, there's no code.
That's not how it worked for me, the message I got was "we sent you a confirmation email".

I even tried to log in with my new account but it said "doesn't exist". Besides they have to have an registered account/email because like all f2p you can BUY things. Lastly, if you were able to just "log in" you already had an account, I didn't.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo