Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Website now offers links to download a playable demo of this upcoming RPG from 38 Studios through either Origin or Steam. Word simply is: "Play the Reckoning demo and experience exciting, visceral combat while exploring the massive world of Amalur on a variety of quests." Thanks Ravener.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 19, 2012, 08:01 Ant

Weird. http://reckoning.amalur.com/r/demo goes back to the home page. Does anyone have this problem too?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 18, 2012, 04:18 Jerykk

Gave the demo a try and I'm really not impressed.

The good:

- Your health doesn't regenerate.

The bad:

- Character customization is extremely limited.
- Dialogue is done through a dialogue wheel with abbreviated choices.
- Writing seems pretty generic and uninspired.
- Everyone is psychic and knows if you've committed a crime, even if there were no witnesses.
- There's chance-to-loot, so even if you successfully pick the lock on someone's chest, you can still get caught stealing from it (even if nobody sees you).
- Death doesn't seem to have any meaning because you can just resurrect yourself and pick right up where you left off.
- Combat seems pretty underwhelming, despite it being the obvious focus of the game. Enemies move slowly and you can see their attacks coming from a mile away. As such, combat is very easy and unsatisfying. The action-oriented combat in Gothic, Risen and Witcher 2 was far more satisfying.
- Magic and two-handed weapons seem significantly more powerful than daggers.
- UI sucks and makes poor use of space and M/KB.
- AI seems pretty retarded. Maybe that's why they decided to make them psychic.

Fallout: New Vegas is in no danger of being dethroned as the best RPG of the past ten years.

21. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 18, 2012, 02:59 Sempai

A forced login for a demo?

Jesus Christ I hate these fucks.

20. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 18, 2012, 01:19 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 21:16:
For clarification purposes. You need the Origin client to download from Origin. You do not need it to play the demo. You can opt out of logging into EA. That's only there if you want to opt-in to the ME3/KOAR cross promotion for the virtual items.

I've gone through it a few times now and will go through several more. In short it's WoW meets Rift for consoles. Environmental art and design are super, world is obviously huge, everything else? Enh, not so much. This is not an open-world CRPG, it's a on-rails, theme park action-RPG. Plenty of invisible walls, hell you can't even jump. It's a poor port so far as well. I'm actually taking notes of which I'm going to post to 38's boards later on and then repost here...I have several pages of stuff if that tells you anything. This is much more of a console game than even Skyrim. Had they intended on releasing an editor I'd buy in - on sale. Seeing as they're not I'll probably just give it a rent for the Xbox or pick it up on Steam when it hits the $10 and under mark. If theu think it's going to succeed as an MMO they're in for a rude awakening. This will be DCUO all over again.

Ok, but I don't understand your reasoning. To say this is like a mmo, you could then say pretty much any RPG is a mmo. Plays a lot like Fable 1 to me, but way more open and even more of an advanced combat model. Yes this isn't near as open as Skyrim, but only Skyrim and some MMO's are that way. $10? Seems harsh to me, but hey it's your opinion.

The one thing that got me is you can only cycle 2 weapons. I would have like to at least cycle one sword/dagger/bow/sceptre. Yes in general the UI is sloppy.

19. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 18, 2012, 01:15 PHJF

It's not as good as the Fable series, but they've had 3 games to perfect their stuff.

That's funny because Fable has gotten progressively worse with each iteration.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 18, 2012, 01:10 Jerykk

It's not as good as the Fable series, but they've had 3 games to perfect their stuff. I went from not buying to definitely buying.

You actually like Fable..?

17. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 18, 2012, 00:16 Cutter

A critique I posted on their site and this was just stuff off the top of my head....

A critique of the KOAR demonstration....the good, the bad, and the ugly.

* Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the management *

The Good:
* Vast world to explore
* Wonderful, stylized design and environmental art. Well crafted world and dungeons.

The Bad:
* Take the game off the rails. I feel like a greased snake being shot through a tube. Nothing kills my immersion faster than invisible walls. If I want to jump off a cliff, let me.
* Jumping, how there is no jumping simply boggles the mind. I want to jump off stairs, jump into pools,jump on animals and people and all manner of things. I want to jump around, jump around, jump up, jump up, and get down!
If I want to bounce around like a fool to House of Pain yelling "Jump! Jump! Jump!" because it makes me happy, let me.
* No autorun?
* No save menu?
* Lockpicking/dispelling mini-games need work for the PC.
* Character creation is woefully limited IMO. Nevermind the unforgiveable fact that you have only 4 races - which are nothing more than the EXACT same model just reskinned. Lots of interesting races and beasties all over the world and I'm the least interesting looking thing in it. Ruh roh, Raggy!

The Ugly:
* Um hello! 2006 called and they'd like their graphics back! Hey, you need to design for 7 year old consoles, super. We get it. However that doesn't mean you have to punish PC gamers with antiquated, washed out textures that are that old as well. I have oodles of GPU/CPU/RAM to utilize hi-res textures and other neato bells and whistles. Try coming into this decade and showing us what you can do for the PC. We are, after all, paying the same money so why punish us? Not our fault if some people want to use almost decade old systems.
* PC UI needs total revamp from the ground up. This UI is worse even than Skyrim and that says a lot. At least Skyrim is releasing an editor - as with all Bethsoft games - so the community can fix it - not that they should have to, but at least they can. Drilling up and down through nested menus is a pain in the posterior and unnecessary for the PC. Tabs, learn them, create them, love them.
* Tabs for inventory and NPC vendors. Far too much work scrolling through massive lists of stuff when it can all be neatly compartmentalized into their various tabs (pages). e.g Tabs for Mage Weapons, Might Weapons, Rogue Weapons, etc. etc. etc.
* Editor would go a long way to increasing sales and game longevity.
* Paperdoll inventory required, please and thank you.
* Context menus with right-click required - as opposed to right click, click compare button. Better still context comparisons with simple mouse hover.
* Conversations require mouse click-through ability instead of Enter and/or space.
* Crafted items require character titles longer than 8 characters - well, for me at any rate.
* Crafting requires tabs as well as a item number creation box/slider. If I want/need to make 10 healing potions I shouldn't have to be spazzing out hitting enter/confirm over and over again. Just let me input the number I want to make in a box or with a slider - box is better though - hit enter, all done.
* You need hella more item icons. Hella more!!! Far too much replication going on. I have half a dozen potions in inventory that all look the exact same. It's an inventory management nightmare. Particularly when you copule it with the lack of a hovering context identification window or shopping NPC inventorys.
* Radial menu? Seriously?
* In short, I'd redesign the entire PC UI from scratch and make it much more - or say, exactly for that matter - like an MMO UI. Hell, it would be good practice for you if you guys are still into doing that MMO thing. Multiplay bars with assignable hotkeys, items, skills etc. all movable - vertical/horizontal, resizable windows/bars (dragging).

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 23:23 Agent.X7

Gameplay is closer to Fable than Skyrim. The world is much more like the first Fable. You can go where you want, as long as it's in the narrow stretches of "open world" that they want you to play in.

I hated it when I first played it. I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, and I was comparing it to that. I played through the demo again later and realized that if I stopped trying to compare it to Skyrim and started comparing it to Fable (A game series I also love) that it's much more fun. It's also much easier to control with a gamepad, as that's what it was made for.

It's not as good as the Fable series, but they've had 3 games to perfect their stuff. I went from not buying to definitely buying.

As a bonus, the creature and environmental design is top notch.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 23:17 Bumpy

I believe they want you to login to your EA account so you record the demo prizes that are offered (ME3 armor, KoA:R card and shakrams) to your account.

Far as the game itself, through and through console designed game ported to the PC.

Graphics and game feel have a kiddy, anti-mature Fable or WoW like vib. Only real positive thing was the combat felt solid using a 360 gamepad.

Another demo saves me some money, yay.

14. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 23:16 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 21:16:
For clarification purposes. You need the Origin client to download from Origin. You do not need it to play the demo. You can opt out of logging into EA. That's only there if you want to opt-in to the ME3/KOAR cross promotion for the virtual items.

I've gone through it a few times now and will go through several more. In short it's WoW meets Rift for consoles. Environmental art and design are super, world is obviously huge, everything else? Enh, not so much. This is not an open-world CRPG, it's a on-rails, theme park action-RPG. Plenty of invisible walls, hell you can't even jump. It's a poor port so far as well. I'm actually taking notes of which I'm going to post to 38's boards later on and then repost here...I have several pages of stuff if that tells you anything. This is much more of a console game than even Skyrim. Had they intended on releasing an editor I'd buy in - on sale. Seeing as they're not I'll probably just give it a rent for the Xbox or pick it up on Steam when it hits the $10 and under mark. If theu think it's going to succeed as an MMO they're in for a rude awakening. This will be DCUO all over again.

It was obviously dev'ed with consoles in mind. I just spent some time with the PS3 demo version and it's okay, nothing amazing. Sorta Fableish with better combat really. Don't think I'd pay full price for it. But down the road on the cheap it could be a fun diversion.

I don't see how they could do an MMO out of it though.

13. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 21:28 Saboth

I really don't understand what is going on with controls. Not just PC, but console too. Is it really that hard to allow people to remap buttons? I got burned out on WoW, but damn, that game let you remap anything, and allowed many combinations of keys...for instance, you could Shift+left click, Alt+ left click, etc. These days, it seems you are limited to 1-10 (which blows). Also...why are consoles only ever limited to like 3 control schemes? Maybe I want left trigger to throw a grenade. Is it really so hard to code that, or is it something set by MS that doesn't allow button mapping?  

12. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 21:22 Frijoles

Wow, they have key rebinding but not for movement. WASD is hard-coded it appears (at least not in the controls area of the game). So they thought about key rebinding and then decided to fuck everyone over who doesn't use WASD. *slow clap*

Hopefully there is a key binding file and their UI programmer is just an idiot. I'm afraid I don't have high hopes though.

Edit: Posts on their forum say movement bindings are in the full game, not in the demo. Weird.

11. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 21:16 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 21:05 Frijoles

You can press escape on the login screen and it will ask if you want to opt-out. No mention of that anywhere though. My EA account didn't work.  

9. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 21:01 Saboth

Their FAQ says you do not log into Origin or need the client to play. It does say you log into an EA account to play however:

https://help.ea.com/article/does-reckoning-require-origin-to-play

8. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 20:52 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:41:
To me it's just another front-end/downloader.

Well... I object to it on several levels.

First off... I don't like to be forced into anything... and forcing me to use their "service" to be able to utilize an application that I purchased doesn't sit well with me.

Then there's the fact that I don't particularly care for EA in the first place... and I absolutely refuse to give them my information, so they can sell it later, or target marketing crap at me. (And they will)

So, no... it's not just another "frontend downloader" to me. It's run by a shady company that wants control over my installed applications on MY machine. They can Fuck Off.

7. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 20:41 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:32:
Ravener wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:18:
You do have to log in to Origin from within the game client before playing. >snip<

Enough stated there to conclude that I'll pass. Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to trying this one out.... but I will never make an Origin account.

Stand up for what you believe in. But just remember when you have a conversation about it, just because you won't do it, doesn't mean millions haven't. To me it's just another front-end/downloader.

6. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 20:40 Jerykk

Art and animations are awesome, but after an hour I don't know that it has more to offer than Torchlight, let alone Diablo III.

Playing an hour of an open-world RPG isn't going to give you a good idea of the game's strengths, especially if that hour takes place within a tutorial.

5. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 20:32 wtf_man

Ravener wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:18:
You do have to log in to Origin from within the game client before playing. >snip<

Enough stated there to conclude that I'll pass. Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to trying this one out.... but I will never make an Origin account.

4. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 20:28 jacobvandy

Jerykk wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 19:56:
Weird. I thought this game was being published by EA but on Steam, it says 38 Studios is the publisher. Guess that explains why it's on Steam at all.

I was wondering the same thing. Might be it's an "EA Partners" type of thing, but then, so was Crysis 2... Maybe they're trying to be sneaky about sponsoring/owning this thing, but not technically publishing it, so they don't get as many strange looks from putting it on Steam? Still further calls into question their motives on the whole conflict, though.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo