Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday

The good old gamers at GOG.com announce they will release Bullfrog's legendary Syndicate on their DRM-free marketplace on Thursday, saying: "This gritty cyberpunk treasure shows up here with some bonus content: the game manual, dark SF artworks, and avatars." They are celebrating the news with a competition to mobilize fans of their service to help spread the word about GOG.com and "the DRM-free revolution." On a related note, EA announces a demo will be released later this month for the Syndicate remake that's coming in the form of a first-person shooter. The announcement seems to indicate this will be for consoles only, but EA has not yet responded for our request for clarification of this, so there will be a follow-up to this story if it turns out there will be a PC demo as well. This new trailer promotes the demo, and concludes saying: "4-player co-op demo on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 coming soon." Update: We have confirmed with EA that there are currently no plans for a PC Syndicate demo.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 19, 2012, 07:50 Ant

Mist wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 15:50:
Syndicate gameplay trailers look awesome, I dunno what you guys are talking about. Definitely looked like a buy to me.
Don't fall for the marketing materials!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 18, 2012, 06:45 Jackplug

Jerykk wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:17:
The new Syndicate looks like DX, only completely linear and scripted and without any of the stealth, dialogue, exploration or choice & consequence.

I completely agree with you, that is why they wont do a pc demo cos they are scared we will see the gameplay for what it is and not buy the game.

27. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 18, 2012, 02:53 TurdFergasun

i'm gonna have to go buy a 3.5 floppy drive and dust off the ol hackintosh to play the original mac discs i have from the 90's. i'll shun this abomination in style.  

26. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 20:17 Jerykk

The new Syndicate looks like DX, only completely linear and scripted and without any of the stealth, dialogue, exploration or choice & consequence.  

25. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 19:28 Prez

While the trailer was good for what it was, I am forcing myself not to give a shit. As already mentioned, EA, in all its pithy spitefulness and bullshit press releases, can easily make this an Origin exclusive (or a "exclusively not on Steam"), effectively killing it in my eyes.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 18:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Mist wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 15:50:
Syndicate gameplay trailers look awesome, I dunno what you guys are talking about. Definitely looked like a buy to me.
What are you talking about? Looked scripted and gimmicky when they were trying to incorporate Syndicate-y stuff, and otherwise just another shooter.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 17:23 Fantaz

Very cool music on that new trailer. Flux Pavilion, eh? It's got good beat. Also I see some first person melee moves like they did in Riddick and that excites me.  

22. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 16:03 CythrawL

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 13:53:
I don't know why anyone is even following Syndicate anymore. It's by EA, so it will require Origin and won't be released on Steam. And it's probably going to be a mediocre game anyway. The fact that there's not going to be a PC demo is just the icing on the cake.

THIS!!!!
+1
EA=Bad... Dont even pirate their games, never mind buy them.

21. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 15:50 Mist

20. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 15:43 ASeven

Halo wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 14:52:
I would eat my hat if some group remade Syndicate and it was turn based combat!

Paradox's Cartel.

You're welcome.

19. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 15:36 Wowbagger_TIP

I just want a modern remake of the original. Hopefully Cartel turns out to be that. I loved the original and played it and the expansion for a long time. I couldn't get into Syndicate Wars though. It just felt different and wrong, but I don't even remember why anymore.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 15:21 Prez

Syndicate is such a wickedly cool universe that I can genuinely envision a well-made FPS in it being fabulous. That said, I'm more excited about getting the original to run on my modern PCs.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 15:16 Fletch

It's not a PC game, so who gives a shit if there is no PC demo.

16. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 15:14 Rhett

When I was a kid, my brother had Syndicate on floppy disks... but I could never get it to run. I'm very curious to finally try it out on GoG.

Also, might try the 360 demo... but I'm in no way looking forward to the game itself. =|

15. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 14:52 Halo

I would eat my hat if some group remade Syndicate and it was turn based combat!  

14. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:59 Bumpy

Smart to not put out a PC demo, like RAGE, they'll need all the uninformed sales they can get.

Definitely interested in the original Syndicate however.

13. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:53 theyarecomingforyou

I don't know why anyone is even following Syndicate anymore. It's by EA, so it will require Origin and won't be released on Steam. And it's probably going to be a mediocre game anyway. The fact that there's not going to be a PC demo is just the icing on the cake.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

12. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:32 DG

So Syndicate Original, sweet. Anyone have any ideas on graphics update modding potential? I'm guessing not much. OTOH there's maybe scope for someone to do a rebuild mod (as user can import the copyright stuff from a legit original).

Being waaaaaay optimistic here, but it's a nice thought.

11. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:12 Optional nickname

Syndicate was the first WASD / Isometric game I ever came across back in the day, this is awesome, and will probably become top 3 games at GOG for sure.

Remake of Syndicate that is nothing like the original ==> sent to the middle pages of my ignore listbook.

10. Re: No PC Syndicate Remake Demo; Original on GOG.com Thursday Jan 17, 2012, 13:02 Alamar

Panickd wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 11:30:
The original Syndicate was an awesome game. Easily one of my favorites from that generation. I wonder how it's going to hold up.

Horribly, so maybe this comment will help... The controls... Are bad... People complain about controls these days, which are decades (heh) ahead of what Syndicate had : )

So now you know... and going into it, you won't be surprised; you're welcome ; )

Interesting phenomena that; when someone tells me a movie is awesome, I often think it doesn't match the hype... but when I've heard a movie is bad, or 'just good', I often like it more ; )

-Alamar

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo