Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Darkness Details

World of Darkness News has a video interview with Chris McDonough, where the senior producer on World of Darkness discusses plans for CCP's upcoming supernatural MMOG. They summarize

• Bloodlines the PC game is a big inspiration to the MMO, they are trying to capture the same atmosphere/using it as a point of reference.
  • He finds PnP RPG's natural to move into a MMO as it is about individual characters not a specific one (ie Spiderman).
  • A lot of focus on player to player interactions due to lack of GM unlike a table top session.
    Confirms single shard concept from EVE will be used due to shared technology. (Who called this 6 months ago? oh that's right, me. )
  • States there is still a AAA team working on the MMO from all aspects of the gaming industry.
    Wanted to focus on vampires only to give depth due to focusing on only one playable supernatural on launch.
  • Said on the surface the game will not seem to be about supernaturals but becomes evident when your character digs into the game world.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 13:32 Wowbagger_TIP

I can't even imagine wanting to play Eve, especially with all the douchey things that CCP has done and things they let their employees and friends get away with. Why would anyone want to pay to deal with that? If I want to do something tedious for hours at a time, I'll just stay in the office.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 09:43 Narf2029

I don't blame him. I quit EVE after I lost my third ship in a week. I work up to 70 hours a week and I don't have time for that kind of shit. The last thing I need is another job on top of the one I already have, especially if I have to pay for it!  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 09:19 Styopa

Zanakar wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 04:04:
Considering this will be a CCP game, better expect the same as with EVE-Online. In other words, some specific players who are CCP's Very Special Friends and thus are repeatedly allowed to get away with things like blatant racial and sexual harassment that will get "normal" players warned or outright banned.
Oh, and lots of PvP that consists of 10-on-1 gang ups followed by comments along the lines of "You stupid n00b carebear ! Go play WoW you carebear !"

Someone got owned, complained to a GM, and was told to pound sand.

12. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 04:18 InBlack

Cry some moar Zanakar, this is Bluesnews! We like hardcore evil shit like EvE around here.  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 04:04 Zanakar

Considering this will be a CCP game, better expect the same as with EVE-Online. In other words, some specific players who are CCP's Very Special Friends and thus are repeatedly allowed to get away with things like blatant racial and sexual harassment that will get "normal" players warned or outright banned.
Oh, and lots of PvP that consists of 10-on-1 gang ups followed by comments along the lines of "You stupid n00b carebear ! Go play WoW you carebear !"

10. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 03:58 InBlack

Eve isnt PvP only. There are PvE mission, although they are rather bland in comparison.  

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 02:36 Acleacius

Isn't Eve pvp only? Could have sworn in past interviews they mentioned having pve, style quests.

I had guessed they meant to level cap, then end game basically you started the politics. Doubt I would even play it, if it turns out to be pvp, only.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 02:31 Fion

I expected 'eve with fangs'. Frankly you couldn't do WoD with quests after all. Even Vampire: Bloodlines had 'far' to much vampire to vampire killing. V:tM and more so V:tR are about politics, backstabing, infighting.. not about accepting question marks and slaughtering a group of NPC's in a nearby building.  

7. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 01:27 Umbragen

I always suspected this game would be too dependent on other players to define the experience (as is EVE). I don't think I'm alone in hoping it would be 'Bloodlines Online' and not 'EVE with fangs', I'm more prepared than ever for disappointment.

But, as long as it's a cool game world and interesting to be in, I'll give it a shot - unless I have to spend every other minute getting diablerized, with some early-generation Dbag talking smack all the while.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2012, 01:51.

6. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 16, 2012, 23:32 Narf2029

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 21:32:
Narf2029 wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 21:08:
Shit, I'd love any computerized system for GURPS. I love it, but damn is it a slow game unless you're playing with a bunch of law students.

The Fallout series started out as a GURPS game but due to creative differences, Interplay tweaked it and named it Fallout.

They did more than tweak it...

5. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 16, 2012, 23:27 Jerykk

Single-player RPG please.  

4. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 16, 2012, 21:32 The Half Elf

Narf2029 wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 21:08:
Shit, I'd love any computerized system for GURPS. I love it, but damn is it a slow game unless you're playing with a bunch of law students.

The Fallout series started out as a GURPS game but due to creative differences, Interplay tweaked it and named it Fallout.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 16, 2012, 21:16 Acleacius

Impressive interview, if true.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 16, 2012, 21:08 Narf2029

1. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 16, 2012, 20:55 Cutter

A lot of focus on player to player interactions due to lack of GM unlike a table top session.

And this is why the MMO concept needs to be abandoned in favour of a MUD/CRPG creator hybrid. NWN with a capacity for several hundred people per shard/PW. Let the players take up the slack of creating and running content. Make it easy to GM 'modules'. Do all this and they will beat a path to your door! Xryptic was on the right track - sorta kinda - with Neverwinter Online, but their acquisition by Perfect World has ended any hope of that. I'd really love to see Obsidian make something like this. You could port any crpg to it, D&D, WoD, Pathfinder, GURPS, etc.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo