Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block?

A thread on NeoGAF hashes through rumors that THQ is close to declaring bankruptcy, and all of the publisher/developer's 2014 games are cancelled (thanks joao). There's a thread about this on reddit including a comment from someone claiming to be from THQ (supported by his Steam profile) with no knowledge of this: "I'm employed by THQ/Relic on the DMO team. I am not aware of DMO, or any other projects, being cancelled." The DMO he refers to is Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online, and GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) say "sources" tell them this Warhammer 40K MMOG is currently being shopped around to other companies. This includes a follow-up from THQ with an official statement on this for the press denying the cancellation of their 2014 slate, but also indicating they have "decisions" to make about the future of DMO:

THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO.

As part of the ongoing review of our business, we have made decisions to ensure that the company is strategically addressing the most attractive markets. As we have previously announced, we have dramatically reduced our commitment to the kids' boxed games sector which leads to a significantly more focused release schedule moving forward.

Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business. We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 17, 2012, 15:48 avianflu

did they really think those UDraw tablets would sell in great numbers? Oh well.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 17, 2012, 00:26 Sheltem

Actually its my understanding that Games Workshop usually *ensures* that the money flows the other way. They make sure to get money on the IP licensing and a approval clause on content.

Largely however, they don't have the ability to fund a game, which is why they license out. They are perpetually money starved due to the having in house control over the production of their miniatures. At least that was the case a few years ago.

15. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 19:26 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 18:08:
At this point people are thinking it could be a fire sale ("we're having a fire... sale") The stock was $2 3 months ago. It's closing in on 50 cents now. Hell, 4 years ago it was over $30.

I think you're on to something. People aren't biting yet because they see THQ circling the drain. Why buy now when you can wait 3-6 months and snag it at half the price?

14. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 19:23 Cutter

Well who is financing this Warhammer game? Games Workshop mut be putting up some of the bread, no?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 18:08 Beamer

killer_roach wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 17:40:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 13:00:
SR3 apparently sold crazy well so if THQ fails, someone will buy them and Volition I'm sure.

Depending on how much debt THQ currently has on their balance sheet, they'd be a no-brainer acquisition for some publisher. Even assuming a 50% buyout premium, it'd only cost about $70 million for somebody to acquire THQ lock, stock, and barrel. Between Volition and the licenses to WWE and UFC, that should be a pretty quick sale.

The fact that they haven't been taken over yet makes me think that THQ is sitting on a massive amount of debt, which would make any buyout of them significantly more costly. I'd wager that THQ goes into bankruptcy sooner rather than later, restructures its finances, and then sells itself to somebody (EA would seem to be the most likely buyer).

At this point people are thinking it could be a fire sale ("we're having a fire... sale") The stock was $2 3 months ago. It's closing in on 50 cents now. Hell, 4 years ago it was over $30.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 17:40 killer_roach

SR3 apparently sold crazy well so if THQ fails, someone will buy them and Volition I'm sure.

Depending on how much debt THQ currently has on their balance sheet, they'd be a no-brainer acquisition for some publisher. Even assuming a 50% buyout premium, it'd only cost about $70 million for somebody to acquire THQ lock, stock, and barrel. Between Volition and the licenses to WWE and UFC, that should be a pretty quick sale.

The fact that they haven't been taken over yet makes me think that THQ is sitting on a massive amount of debt, which would make any buyout of them significantly more costly. I'd wager that THQ goes into bankruptcy sooner rather than later, restructures its finances, and then sells itself to somebody (EA would seem to be the most likely buyer).

11. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 17:24 Trevellian

InBlack wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 10:45:
One of the few MMO's on the horizon that actually interest me in the slightest. The WH:40K universe is simply begging for full on PvP MMO version of some kind....

It would be a damn shame if THQ went under now.

Only way I'd play a 40K MMO is if it played like Planetside. Full on with tanks, planes, and everything.

And throw another hat in the ring for saving Volition, Saints Row 3 is one of the best games I've played in the past few years. It was far more like GTA3-San Andreas than GTA4 was. Enjoyed it far more.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

10. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 16, 2012, 15:29 UConnBBall

Sad THQ has made some great RTS games IMHO. I even like Dawn of War 2.  

9. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 14:52 Verno

SR3 apparently sold crazy well so if THQ fails, someone will buy them and Volition I'm sure. I really do hope they manage to get more funding though. The AAA industry needs more competition, not more consolidation.

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen any statements about it's sales figures so far which usually isn't a good sign.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

8. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 14:47 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:42:
Save Volition! I demand SR4!!!!!!!

I'd rather they acquire the Freespace property from that dead husk that remains of Interplay. Not that the SR games aren't fantastic as well.

7. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 13:55 Beamer

SR3 apparently sold crazy well so if THQ fails, someone will buy them and Volition I'm sure. I really do hope they manage to get more funding though. The AAA industry needs more competition, not more consolidation.

I was under the impression it sold poorly. Not from anywhere, it just seemed to get kind of swept away by bigger releases like Skyrim, MW3 and BF3. It seemed to go on serious sale much, much sooner.

As a huge fan of the series I hope you're right. Haven't played this one yet, or anything else I've purchased since November (that isn't Batman, MW3, Rayman Origins or GoW3), but I'll spend a long time with this as soon as I'm done spending a long time with Skyrim.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 13:07 nin

SR3 apparently sold crazy well

I sure hope so, it really was a great game, and other than the small draw-in issue, ran like a champ on my pc.

And new DLC/missions tomorrow! http://kotaku.com/5874843/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 13:00 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

4. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 12:42 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 12:28 Ozmodan

Out of money which does not bode well for a MMO title which needs deep pockets.

Unless they can find a white knight to come and save them, kiss the warhammer 40k MMO good bye.

2. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 11:34 Wildone

Fucking THQ. This has been happenin since 2007/8..  

1. Re: THQ Rumors: DMO on the Block? Jan 16, 2012, 10:45 InBlack

One of the few MMO's on the horizon that actually interest me in the slightest. The WH:40K universe is simply begging for full on PvP MMO version of some kind....

It would be a damn shame if THQ went under now.

I have a nifty blue line!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo