Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubi DRM Thwarts Review

An article on Guru3D outlines the site's frustrations with attempting to create a video card performance comparison using Anno 2070, the latest installment in the Anno series of strategy games. As noted on its Steam page, the DRM in Anno 2070 has an installation limit: "Solidshield Tages SAS 3 machine activation limit," and apparently they ran into this limit by changing video cards in their test rig, leading them to title the article "Why Guru3D probably never will review Ubisoft titles anymore." There seems to be a resolution at the end of all this, as there's an update at the end saying that while the publishing arm of Ubisoft was unwilling to help them with their plight, they contacted Blue Byte, and the Ubi-owned developer of the game was able to unlock the game to suit their review needs. Thanks ASLayerAODsk via techPowerUp.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 14:07 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 11:59:
The machine limit wouldn't be the end of the world if the consumer could have any faith in the support department. When the press gets treated like this then it just makes you wonder what your experience will be like.

It makes you wonder? Really? Because I can safely guarantee you that Ubisoft will tell you to go fuck yourself with your legally bought copy, you filthy pirate!

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 14:06 ASeven

The saddest part is that the Anno series is an awesome, exceptionally good series and I so fucking wish Ubisoft wasn't the publisher.  

12. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 13:57 Omni

Its amazing what they are allowed to do with software and end user these days.
Anyway I haven't brought a ubisoft game the last 5-6 years.
As long as gamers keep feeding there greed they will continue doing what they are doing including console gamers.
No gaming site can change how these companies work only the consumers can but gaming site can help simply rejecting products full of DRM.

11. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 13:48 Iurand

LuckyorNot wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:22:
I wish review sites would use a bit of muscle to get Valve to improve Steam.

How much Ubi pays you and your friends to black PR Steam in every UbisoftDRM thread?

10. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 13:28 Tanto Edge

hahahahahahaha
fuuuuuuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 13:14 Teddy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:58:
Wolfen wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:44:
2 minutes on preparing to load eh? Older machine maybe? Mine is a bit older and I don't even wait that long.
Actually, I've had similar delays myself. It might be related to the internet connection but if it doesn't launch instantly I've had quite a few occasions where it can take 30+ secs. Whereas if I simply restart the Steam client in Offline mode it launches instantly. If it's instant in Offline mode it should be the same online.

I've had that issue on occasion, where it sits at preparing to load. Every time it's happened, simply shutting steam down and reloading it fixes the problem for me.

8. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 13:13 Acleacius

Unimagineable.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

7. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 12:58 theyarecomingforyou

Wolfen wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:44:
2 minutes on preparing to load eh? Older machine maybe? Mine is a bit older and I don't even wait that long.
Actually, I've had similar delays myself. It might be related to the internet connection but if it doesn't launch instantly I've had quite a few occasions where it can take 30+ secs. Whereas if I simply restart the Steam client in Offline mode it launches instantly. If it's instant in Offline mode it should be the same online.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 12:44 Wolfen

LuckyorNot wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:22:
Nothing pisses me off more that sitting down to play a singleplayer game than Steam popping saying 'preparing to launch ...' for 2 minutes before either running the damn game or failing!! ( it's about 50/50 these days )
I wouldn't mind but the two most common games I play I used the pirate-try-and-buy approach(since demos where not available) - both games I loved so bought the legal versions at a retail store - now I have suffer steam!!!
Developers wonder why people pirate games, here's a clue:

Illegal version, download, unzip, doubleclick game.exe - play

Legal version, insert DVD, hit install, wait for steam to sign in ( two attempts ) then steam starts downloading FULL game, despite the fact I have the full game on a shiny new legal DVD in the drive!, cancel steam download, google "how the 'f*&k do I install X game from DVD rather than Steam trying to download' close down steam, open a DOS prompt, run steam with some long command line args, wait for install to finish, close down steam, re load steam normally, sign in again( busy please try in a couple of minutes ) F&*K You steam - try again, I'm in, Game updating, 30mins later, game ready, click play game, 'preparing to launch game' 2 minutes later game starts, hit Play on games own launcher, play game ...
PS: I didn't make any of that up, that's what actually happened a couple of weeks ago when I bought Skyrim on DVD from my local super market. Other game was not quiet as bad, at least it installed from DVD into steam.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a game at the store and used a DVD / CD. However, those who do have to go through that bit of tripe with the steam download / install on a disk sounds frustrating.

5. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 12:31 Ozmodan

All the review I need to see NOT to purchase UBIsoft titles. If changing a video card counts as a installation increment then I want no part of their games.  

4. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 12:22 LuckyorNot

Nothing pisses me off more that sitting down to play a singleplayer game than Steam popping saying 'preparing to launch ...' for 2 minutes before either running the damn game or failing!! ( it's about 50/50 these days )
I wouldn't mind but the two most common games I play I used the pirate-try-and-buy approach(since demos where not available) - both games I loved so bought the legal versions at a retail store - now I have suffer steam!!!
Developers wonder why people pirate games, here's a clue:

Illegal version, download, unzip, doubleclick game.exe - play

Legal version, insert DVD, hit install, wait for steam to sign in ( two attempts ) then steam starts downloading FULL game, despite the fact I have the full game on a shiny new legal DVD in the drive!, cancel steam download, google "how the 'f*&k do I install X game from DVD rather than Steam trying to download' close down steam, open a DOS prompt, run steam with some long command line args, wait for install to finish, close down steam, re load steam normally, sign in again( busy please try in a couple of minutes ) F&*K You steam - try again, I'm in, Game updating, 30mins later, game ready, click play game, 'preparing to launch game' 2 minutes later game starts, hit Play on games own launcher, play game ...
PS: I didn't make any of that up, that's what actually happened a couple of weeks ago when I bought Skyrim on DVD from my local super market. Other game was not quiet as bad, at least it installed from DVD into steam.

3. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 11:59 Verno

The machine limit wouldn't be the end of the world if the consumer could have any faith in the support department. When the press gets treated like this then it just makes you wonder what your experience will be like.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

2. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 11:15 ASeven

Never thought TAGES was that draconian. Changing a graphics card means the game won't install? And then calling the support line is met with silence? Wow.

Ubisoft sure is taking the piss out of us at this point.

1. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 10:56 nin

Yeah, this looked interesting...until the 3 machine limit. No thanks.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo