Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubi DRM Thwarts Review

An article on Guru3D outlines the site's frustrations with attempting to create a video card performance comparison using Anno 2070, the latest installment in the Anno series of strategy games. As noted on its Steam page, the DRM in Anno 2070 has an installation limit: "Solidshield Tages SAS 3 machine activation limit," and apparently they ran into this limit by changing video cards in their test rig, leading them to title the article "Why Guru3D probably never will review Ubisoft titles anymore." There seems to be a resolution at the end of all this, as there's an update at the end saying that while the publishing arm of Ubisoft was unwilling to help them with their plight, they contacted Blue Byte, and the Ubi-owned developer of the game was able to unlock the game to suit their review needs. Thanks ASLayerAODsk via techPowerUp.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 20:13 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 13:17:
Why are we still dealing with machine limits in 2012?
Because people still keep buying titles with that type of restriction?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 16:31 JohnnyRotten

nin wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 09:07:
Finally installed Origin so I could launch my copy of Madden 2008 for PC. Game wouldn't launch. Kept asking for a username/password, but kept failing with a can't "contact the registration" server.

I'd be surprised if they still had those servers running. EA is notorious for sunsetting products.

This wasn't a request to sign in to any kind of Madden online server - this was the main EA Auth servers. I was just trying to launch the game, not start any kind of multi-player match.

EDIT: This is also Origin specific - the game worked fine until they wrapped the Origin client around all their digital downloads.

52. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 16:16 jdreyer

JohnnyRotten wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 19:42:
Finally installed Origin so I could launch my copy of Madden 2008 for PC. Game wouldn't launch. Kept asking for a username/password, but kept failing with a can't "contact the registration" server. After dancing around with support for about 2 hours, I was told that this problem was known (since May!) and wasn't going away. However, I was free to go away.

5 minutes later, I had the crack downloaded and the game running. I'm seriously getting tired of having to expose my computer (and home network) to the risk of malware that could be in cracks just to use the product I lawfully purchased.

Fucking DRM.

This.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

51. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 13:17 Beamer

Why are we still dealing with machine limits in 2012?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 13:03 necrosis

Prez wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 09:56:
While it's not a situation most people will ever face (multiple videocard changeouts while playing a game), the fact remains that Ubisoft's DRM restricts the end user from legally using the software they legally bought in the manner of their choosing. Thus, it is wrong and needs to be removed.
The thing is according to what I have read on this a new activation was required after changing the video card ONCE. Which is total bullshit. The only thing that would be more BS is if it asked for another activation if you added more RAM.

49. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 09:56 Prez

While it's not a situation most people will ever face (multiple videocard changeouts while playing a game), the fact remains that Ubisoft's DRM restricts the end user from legally using the software they legally bought in the manner of their choosing. Thus, it is wrong and needs to be removed.

Not sure how every topic comes back to Steam, but since it was mentioned it is probably worth pointing out that you can have your game installed on 4000 computers if you want with Steam, all of them offline. To say "But Steam is just as bad!!!" when discussing issues like the thread topic is simply ignoring the facts in my view.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

48. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 09:07 nin

Finally installed Origin so I could launch my copy of Madden 2008 for PC. Game wouldn't launch. Kept asking for a username/password, but kept failing with a can't "contact the registration" server.

I'd be surprised if they still had those servers running. EA is notorious for sunsetting products.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 06:29 Kajetan

eunichron wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 19:15:
They've already made insinuations that they're going to leave the PC industry
They didn't. Ubisoft has the highest percentage of PC-only titles of all major publishers. They make good money on these franchises (HoMM, Settlers, Anno), production has already started for Settlers 8.

All this bullshit about THE GREAT THREAT named piracy and their DRM scheme to counter that made-up threat was and is aimed at the investors after Ubisoft had some rough quarters two or three years ago.

46. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 04:29 Iurand

Dev wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 01:17:
MisterBenn wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 22:32:
Most of these forms of DRM are not aimed at tech-savvy pirates... even Ubisoft know that they can't prevent their games being cracked and distributed to those who know what they're doing. They are aimed at the mainstream market, to prevent the more casual gamers from trading their games back to shops, having 5 friends play the game from one copy, and buy used games for a low price etc.
That and they think they need it to make shareholders happy.

Except Steam does that.

45. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 04:28 Jerykk

Most of these forms of DRM are not aimed at tech-savvy pirates... even Ubisoft know that they can't prevent their games being cracked and distributed to those who know what they're doing. They are aimed at the mainstream market, to prevent the more casual gamers from trading their games back to shops, having 5 friends play the game from one copy, and buy used games for a low price etc.

That logic doesn't really hold up though when consider how pirates crack their games. It doesn't matter if its SecuRom, TAGES, Steamworks, Origin, Starforce, UbiDRM, Safedisc or even the most rudimentary disc check. The method is always the same; copy a few files from the crack folder and overwrite the original files in the installation directory. If a user is competent enough to do that, it doesn't matter what type of DRM is used.

44. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 17, 2012, 01:17 Dev

MisterBenn wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 22:32:
That and they think they need it to make shareholders happy.

And some companies actually DO think it can prevent non-casual piracy if it gets draconion enough.

43. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 22:54 Crustacean Soup

I'll buy 2070 as soon as they drop Tages, same as I did with 1404. If they don't, I won't. Whatever. I don't see what the point of pirating it out of spite is.  

42. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 22:32 MisterBenn

OK, Steam does discourage / prevent used sales, but their approach of reducing games in price quickly is a great substitute. They are tempting honest customers rather than punishing them and faring well because of it...

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

41. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 21:10 Killing

I remember having to download the crack for F.E.A.R to be able to run it even though I owned the game just because their DRM didn't like my CDROM and resulted in 3fps graphics.

why put users who support your products through this type of pain when it doesn't stop pirates one little bit its really sad they clear don't understand they are just wasting their money

40. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:55 Dev

Dades wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 19:22:
Checking a driver revision is a very fast function that wouldn't account for that kind of delay.
Well it SHOULDN'T I agree. But this is valve we are talking about.

39. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:47 Marvin T. Martian

\

/quote]

2 minutes on preparing to load eh? Older machine maybe? Mine is a bit older and I don't even wait that long.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a game at the store and used a DVD / CD. However, those who do have to go through that bit of tripe with the steam download / install on a disk sounds frustrating.

Guess you didn't try Arkham City from steam--added securerom AND G4WL as well as steam check--what a figgin mess

38. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:42 JohnnyRotten

Creston wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 14:08:
Steam's "Preparing to launch" thing is horseshit. WTF are you preparing, Steam? A fucking sandwich??

Creston

My solution to this problem has been to delete all the directx files for all my steam games. This seems to get the steam tool to jump right past the "preparing to launch" shite.

For some reason, on my computer, it seems to think that the DirectX/physX/whatthefuckX stuff needs to be re-installed on every launch.

And to hijack the thread slightly (we seem to have wandered a bit anyway), I ran into a nice little DRM problem myself today.

Finally installed Origin so I could launch my copy of Madden 2008 for PC. Game wouldn't launch. Kept asking for a username/password, but kept failing with a can't "contact the registration" server. After dancing around with support for about 2 hours, I was told that this problem was known (since May!) and wasn't going away. However, I was free to go away.

5 minutes later, I had the crack downloaded and the game running. I'm seriously getting tired of having to expose my computer (and home network) to the risk of malware that could be in cracks just to use the product I lawfully purchased.

Fucking DRM.

37. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:22 Dades

Dev wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 17:52:
Dev wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 15:38:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 15:33:
I may be wrong, but I think Steam is checking any of your cloud-saved games for newer saves.
I think its more likely its checking your authorization to run the game.
In addition to the verifying files someone mentioned, it could also be checking drivers now. Some of steam games now it checks your drivers (specifically video) before starting the game so it can tell if they are outdated.

Checking a driver revision is a very fast function that wouldn't account for that kind of delay.

36. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:15 eunichron

jdreyer wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 18:53:
What's the point of that? Just to increase the piracy numbers to prove a point?

Pretty much. Ubi has been screwing over paying customers for years now with their rootkit DRM, and now this situation with Anno 2070 is just ridiculous. Hit them in their pocket books, show them that no matter how invasive and extraneous their DRM is, it still won't stop their games from being pirated.

They've already made insinuations that they're going to leave the PC industry, why not help them out the door?

35. Re: Ubi DRM Thwarts Review Jan 16, 2012, 19:12 Darks

I donít get why this game has a Three limit install when it uses Steam. That is absurd!!

Another reason why I do not ever buy their games. I have a long story about how my Sons CD key stopped working and the BS I went through to get it fixed. To put it short. They kept insisting his CD key was good but it wasnít. I told them something on his account was locked down and the key wasnít showing activated. After a month of fighting with UBishit support, they finally removed the old key and gave me a new one. Works great now. And I got to keep the old key. Guess what? That key works perfectly fine on the new account I made. But Ubishit insisted that there was nothing wrong on his account. Pathetic!!

Blue byte contacted them and fixed their issues. But what about those of us that have issues? Why donít we get the same respect and help?

It all comes back to UBishit support and how badly it is.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo