Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin

A post on the BioWare Social Network by BioWare's Chris Priestly has word that EA's Origin service will indeed be a required to play Mass Effect 3, as well as word that the RPG sequel will not be sold via Steam (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Here's word:

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) Iíve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on userís machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

75. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:06 CJ_Parker

Slashman wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 18:24:
Why would THQ move almost all their games to Steamworks? Why aren't there mass boycotts from anyone other than EA?

How is EA boycotting Steam? You do realize that Valve showed EA the door and not the other way around, right?
It started with EA selling crap from within their games, bypassing Steam. Valve pointed out that this was against their TOS. EA didn't care and didn't want to back down and change the way they sold their crap and then Valve kicked EA out the door.
Valve took action on and against EA, not the other way around. EA has been pretty passive in all of this. EA did not pull their games from Steam. Their games got delisted by Valve due to the violation of the TOS. There never was a "boycott" of any kind from EA's side.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:56 Pankin

I'm in the minority here but, here goes...

I don't care about any Mass Effect game. It does not affect my life in any way so this news means nothing to me. They can sell it on punchcards for all I care.

That is all.

73. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:44 Dev

Slashman wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 18:24:
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

If this was true, wouldn't there be a crap-ton of other publishers and developers complaining about Steam?

Why would THQ move almost all their games to Steamworks? Why aren't there mass boycotts from anyone other than EA?
I believe that would be because
Its not true.

72. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:39 CythrawL

Vio wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 17:37:
BREAKING NEWS - MASS EFFECT 3 TAKES ARROW TO THE KNEE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg

Sorry.. but its getting too much now..

71. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:37 CythrawL

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 18:02:
Guess ill not be buying any EA games from here on. I made the mistake of purchasing BF3, but then i didnt know that it required Origin.

Dont buy them, dont even pirate them.. I have boycotted EA on all platforms, including Android. That includes anything by Popcap, Bioware, etc..

Until they change their stance on Origins and work with Valve, and stop doing stupid ass crap like charging $100 for Downloadable Content then I suggest everyone else do the same.. In fact, crackers, stop cracking their games.. Drop all torrents... It would be funny if this could happen but unfortunately it wont.

70. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:24 Slashman

If this was true, wouldn't there be a crap-ton of other publishers and developers complaining about Steam?

69. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:04 theyarecomingforyou

Dev wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 17:41:
Valve did it to help out gamers by getting patches out in a easier more timely fashion, and to give people who wanted an alternative way to purchase.
It's important to remember that Steam replaced WON, which was the online system used by the original Half-Life. If Valve hadn't replaced it with Steam then it would have been shut down about about a decade ago. People were allowed to input their CD-keys and download the game from scratch, including all commercial mods made for it like Counter-Strike. Valve also offered a cheap way to purchase their games and expanded it out to third-party publishers. They also added additional features like anti-cheat, community pages, an inventory system, voice-chat, ability to download graphics drivers, etc. Whereas EA did not allow you to redownload games beyond 12-months, included DRM with online activations and charged obscene prices for their games. Only after that policy backfired spectacularly did they decide to try to copy Steam but rather than compete on merit they simply stopped selling their games on Steam because Valve required all games to require that DLC be sold on Steam IN ADDITION TO any other services; this was to prevent publishers like EA - which publishers the F2P Battleforge - from distributing their game for free and then taking all the profits by selling in-game DLC through their own service.

EA has a long record of shitty customer support, shitty DRM and shitty business tactics. Valve, on the otherhand, has not. Steam is a form of DRM but without that publishers would never have agreed to use it, with some publishers even opting for additional DRM. There is definitely room for improvement but Steam is better than anything else in the marketplace. EA has to offer a BETTER service that competes legitimately if it stands any chance of competing with Steam. They don't and it's not even close.

The stupid thing is that if EA sold their games on Steam but still required Origin - like many games also require GFWL - then people would have got used to using it and been more likely to buy their games on it. By not doing that they are limiting their marketshare and pissing people off. I would likely have bought BF3 and ME3 as some people - after a discount - if it was on Steam but still required Origin. Afterall, I buy GFWL games. But by not being available on Steam at all EA has made the choice that much easier for me... I'll save my money.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

68. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 18:02 s1mon75

Guess ill not be buying any EA games from here on. I made the mistake of purchasing BF3, but then i didnt know that it required Origin.

Once bitten twice shy.

For those who talk about Steam earning the respect over the years. Its true. I was a hardcore CS player who found this new program had installed itself on my computer. Steam was a bucket of snot when it was first released, broke often, wouldnt work with dual monitors, but they had a massive market share from the huge player base that was Counter Strike. I couldnt stand Steam back then.

Now, so many years later im happy to purchase and gift games to friends via Steam.

Origin, you have a long way to go before i spend any more money in your direction.

Then again, you wait until Blizzard's version comes out. Think you can compete with that?

67. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:41 Dev

Vio wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 17:37:
LOL! I was just explaining this joke to a friend not 10 mins ago.
deqer wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:13:
nin wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 15:59:
Steam has come a long way, and earned a ton of goodwill. Something that will take EA years to do (if ever)
EA will never do it.

Steam did it because it's Valve, and Valve made Half-life, and Half-life is based off the id Software's Quake 2 engine. Everything is solid there, and thus all the more reason for gamers to push themselves to use/accept Steam.

EA? Pfft. If EA does it, it will be when the gamer community has been replaced from this generation by the next generation of young kiddies that don't think twice about any of this. They just yap yap about a game, buy it and play it.
Pretty sure EA is doing it because they are greedy. Valve did it to help out gamers by getting patches out in a easier more timely fashion, and to give people who wanted an alternative way to purchase.

Just look the histories of the 2 companies. EA has a long history of screwing studios and customers.

66. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:37 Vio

65. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:36 Matshock

Meh. Pass.

As for hard-segmenting distribution, Apple has already done that 10X more than Valve or EA ever will.

I still have to finish Batman: AC and I'm getting back into STALKER COP. I will pick BF3 back up if the next client patch addresses the hacks in a meaningful way. That may be it for me until Resident Evil ORC.

64. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:33 Dades

That's fine, I can wait forever to play a Mass Effect game, plenty of other stuff out and this is no must have. There will be a Mass Effect 4, 5, Mass Effect Tactics and other junk I'm sure.  

63. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:30 fightinfilipino

Yakubs wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 17:20:
lol @ people declining to buy ME3 because of Origin (rather than because it's yet another retard-friendly BioWare game) and then going back to playing their Steam library.

"Good will"

That's a flimsy-ass excuse for pledging allegiance to a single digital delivery service and pretending like you're not buying into blatant DRM.
Yakubs wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 17:20:
lol @ people declining to buy ME3 because of Origin (rather than because it's yet another retard-friendly BioWare game) and then going back to playing their Steam library.

"Good will"

That's a flimsy-ass excuse for pledging allegiance to a single digital delivery service and pretending like you're not buying into blatant DRM.
no, it's straight up voting with your feet. Steam has DRM, true. but it's DRM that is nonintrusive, non-spyware, and nonmalfunctioning. in short, it's consumer-friendly.

EA and Origin, on the other hand, are anything but consumer friendly. people are deciding to go with the better option. that's how the "free market" is supposed to work.

62. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:30 psulli

It is not a flimsy-ass excuse. EA is pro-SOPA. EA has a history of abusing employees. EA has a poor to horrid customer service record.

VALVe and Steam have led the industry in treatment of customers and product innovation.

61. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:20 Yakubs

"Good will"

60. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 15, 2012, 17:05 UConnBBall

No sale from me  

59. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:05 EnsErnie

Steam did it because it's Valve, and Valve made Half-life, and Half-life is based off the id Software's Quake 2 engine.
Goldsource (what Valve now calls the HL1 engine) is actually just a heavily modified Quake 1 engine with only a few lines of Quake 2 source providing some bug fixes. I don't mean this correction in a petty way but more of a FYI since this has been a popular misconception among gamers for the past decade.

58. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:00 Wash Washburne

nin wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 15:59:

Steam has come a long way, and earned a ton of goodwill. Something that will take EA years to do (if ever).

Absolutely!
Orgin, to my understanding is still in BETA state, at least that is what is says when I launch mine (recently updated too).
They had all the time in the world to make it fully functional program, but I guess rushing it to launch BF3 was enough for them to say: "Yeey We did it, people bought it, job done, next!"
Sounds to me, this is like everything that EA touches, turns into a overpriced half fast garbage work....

57. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:55 Silicon Avatar

I can wait until they work it out and get it on Steam. If it takes a year, that's fine. If it never happens, whatever.  

56. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:55 deqer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:40:
I wonder how many of you in your righteous fury are also full of shit.
0? or very few? it's kind of rare. So rare infact it would be common sense to not even wonder about it--out loud in front of everyone.

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo