Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin

A post on the BioWare Social Network by BioWare's Chris Priestly has word that EA's Origin service will indeed be a required to play Mass Effect 3, as well as word that the RPG sequel will not be sold via Steam (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Here's word:

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) Iíve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on userís machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

55. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:51 Tanto Edge

I won't lie and say I'll never play ME3 because of Origin.
I also won't lie and say I'll ever buy ME3 because of Origin.
Makes me sad. I want to support BioWare (Oh Canada!) but I can't justify feeding the Origin machine with it's confirmed bullshitware, and crazy TOS.

Besides, I prefer the way Steam patches games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:49 Narf2029

Count me out. It'll probably be even more dumbed down than the second anyway.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

53. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:44 KilrathiAce

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:40:
P.S. - I know quite a few liars who told me they would never, ever play BF3 because of Origin. Fuck EA, etc., etc., etc. And then I drop in unexpectedly and they are playing BF3, or I call and hear BF3 in the background, or they say "Hi" in game and then don't respond when I ask about their obviously flexible truthism.

I wonder how many of you in your righteous fury are also full of shit.

Thare are always people who lie, get used to it. However, in my case I thought about trying BF3 because I remember BF2 enjoyable moments years ago but the fact that its not available on steam makes it easy decision to play other games instead. As for ME3, cough cough they dont want me to buy thats no problem.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

52. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:40 Agent.X7

P.S. - I know quite a few liars who told me they would never, ever play BF3 because of Origin. Fuck EA, etc., etc., etc. And then I drop in unexpectedly and they are playing BF3, or I call and hear BF3 in the background, or they say "Hi" in game and then don't respond when I ask about their obviously flexible truthism.

I wonder how many of you in your righteous fury are also full of shit.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

51. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:36 KilrathiAce

Thats too bad for EA, I bought both me 1 and 2 because it was on steam, this one I plan to play it at some point but surely wont be paying for it if its not on steam. Oh and Bioware may want to make sure the game is actually good and maybe one year they actually upgrade their engine and tech because dragon age 2 was junk, oh and swtor graphics are like something from 2003. So maybe they need to like work more on the game and worry less about how they gonna distribute and whether there will be pointless pre order deals.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

50. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:35 Hellbinder

eh, running Steam and Origin side by side on my PC already. Digital service is digital service.

The Whales name is Bob.

49. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:27 Agent.X7

<RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION!> <SLANDEROUS DIG!> <POSSIBLE MOTHER JOKE!>

Who. Fucking. Cares.

Did you not see this coming a mile away? EA will be requiring Origin for pretty much all of its PC games from now on. Big shocker, I know. I'd rather stuff was on Steam, but Origin doesn't really bother me. I didn't even have to have it running to play SWTOR, and it just sits there doing nothing when I'm playing BF3.

And also, I don't care what ME3 comes out on, I'm not buying it. Bioware has burned me 3 times with their shitty sequels to awesome games and one huge mediocre MMO. I'll spend my RPG time with Bethesda, and possibly Kingdoms of Amular. (Which, BTW, is also only on Origin.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

48. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:22 Shok

I was tempted to buy BF3 during the Amazon sale over the holidays but I never did. Origin was the main factor in my decision.  

47. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 16:13 deqer

nin wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 15:59:
Steam has come a long way, and earned a ton of goodwill. Something that will take EA years to do (if ever)
EA will never do it.

Steam did it because it's Valve, and Valve made Half-life, and Half-life is based off the id Software's Quake 2 engine. Everything is solid there, and thus all the more reason for gamers to push themselves to use/accept Steam.

EA? Pfft. If EA does it, it will be when the gamer community has been replaced from this generation by the next generation of young kiddies that don't think twice about any of this. They just yap yap about a game, buy it and play it.

46. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:59 nin

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 15:55:
I swear, gamers are the biggest group of hypocrites ever.

Steam has come a long way, and earned a ton of goodwill. Something that will take EA years to do (if ever).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

45. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:55 RollinThundr

I swear, gamers are the biggest group of hypocrites ever.  

44. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:40 Paranoid Jack

Bard wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 15:15:
Screw that. it took me AGES to figure out that i required BOTH origin AND bioware accounts for starwars etc.

Origin sucks.

I'm committed to spending my gaming dollar on stuff that works properly without unnecessary dicking around.

That is a huge part of their problem. They have no continuity between EA, Origin, and all the studios they now own. I had been using my user name on all BF titles since the original for almost a decade. And all of them were registered retail games. I was playing BFBC2 on both the PC and the PSN which required EA accounts. The PC version was a digital download using EA Downloader. So they had my info and my player name. Yet they allowed another person in England to register with Origin using my user name (just lower case j instead of the capital I used). This screwed up my account and lead to this fiasco.

Why they have no cohesion between their studios their on-line site and their download service is a huge reason to avoid this service like the plague. And I won't even try to explain the HELL I went through trying to boot Dragon Age: Origins recently.

Simple and to the point... Origin sucks and EA doesn't have what it takes to make this a user friendly service.

43. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:34 Mordhaus

Well, no ME3 for me. Guess I'll have to YouTube the endings.  

42. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:22 Paranoid Jack

I've now written off all EA games that require Origin. Which will be anything that comes out from BF3 on. Yeah, I bought BF3 because I loved the series. They have the best multi-player game-play for my tastes. Except the sci-fi version... skipped that one. It was the normal love/hate relationship with BF3 until recently. Though EA's Origin (which replaced their EA Downloader) created more of a dislike while booting the game. They did fix a lot of the browser issues after the beta stage or after the game went retail. But their customer service is horrible. For almost a week I have been waiting for them to restore my BF3 stats after an EA Agent wiped my account while trying to change my Origin EA Master ID. I asked the 3rd Agent to escalate it and then sent an e-mail... nobody has contacted me. Blows my mind that the Agents even have the ability to wipe an account but no ability to restore it?

I will not buy another product that has anything to do with Origin.

41. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:22 Dev

Sudbina wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 15:10:
Yet no one dares to question EA about this. Why are they selling DLC through multiple DD channels if they find Valve's policy about having DLC sold through Steam to be restrictive?

It just really seems like EA is using their power in the gaming industry to try and get Valve to bend to their wishes. Like they did last generation with Microsoft to get total control of online services for their titles on XBox Live [...]
I didn't know that, and on a recent game (BF3) which came out after the fight with steam. Wow, I didn't think it was possible for my opinion of EA to sink even lower.

BTW, EA running all their own services on xbox to ensure "quality" ? Its nonsense. EA just goes and kills games servers on many of their games (both console and PC), some as little as a year after release.
Here's the list of the many games (hundreds?) they've done that for:
http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

40. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:16 beigemore

Ugh. I was really looking forward to ME3. Yet another game I have to scratch off my list.  

39. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:15 Bard

Screw that. it took me AGES to figure out that i required BOTH origin AND bioware accounts for starwars etc.

Origin sucks.

I'm committed to spending my gaming dollar on stuff that works properly without unnecessary dicking around.

38. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:12 wtf_man

Wasn't going to buy ME3 anyway, but...

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

Yeah... opt-out AFTER they have already collected some data... that's just fuckin' brilliant. No Thanks.

37. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:10 Sudbina

necrosis wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 14:11:
Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.
God I love EA's horse shit. Connect to your customers? You mean control your customers. EA, YOUR terms of service are the restrictive one. Pot calling the kettle black anyone?

You demand that all patches and DLC run through YOUR service. How is that not restrictive? Steam says if you release patches and DLC it must be available to all. It allows the customer to chose where they get their DLC from and makes it easier for installing.

O well. Guess I am skipping ME3. Even if it was on Steam if it required Origin I would tell them to sod off.

The hilarious part of what you said is that even though EA supposedly demands all of the DLC to be through their own services, they still sell DLC on other DD channels:

Direct2Drive
Impulse
GamersGate

Yet no one dares to question EA about this. Why are they selling DLC through multiple DD channels if they find Valve's policy about having DLC sold through Steam to be restrictive?

It just really seems like EA is using their power in the gaming industry to try and get Valve to bend to their wishes. Like they did last generation with Microsoft to get total control of online services for their titles on XBox Live or with Nintendo to get funding for crappy ports of their titles for Gamecube.

36. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:05 Paketep

Well, you have to give it to the EA guys. They're hell bent on taking a globally well liked dev (Bioware) and make everyone hate it, even if it will cost them our money.

They give me no option. ME3 was the last EA thing I was looking forward to. Not anymore. They can shove Origin up their asses, I'll play some old Wing Commander and Ultima to remember what Origin used to mean.

Congratulations, Riccittielo, you bastard. You win.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2012, 15:10.

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo