Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin

A post on the BioWare Social Network by BioWare's Chris Priestly has word that EA's Origin service will indeed be a required to play Mass Effect 3, as well as word that the RPG sequel will not be sold via Steam (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Here's word:

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

95. Re: Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. Jan 15, 2012, 21:12 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 20:50:
I'm pretty sure they DON'T CARE. If they sell say 5 million BF3 copies, and could have sold 1 million more with steam, they will say that was the price of having an exclusive on origin. More likely they will look at it and say it was more successful than BF2142 and BF:BC2 so that means what they are doing with origins is going in the right direction.
Its like how the latest MW3 is the fastest CoD seller to date, despite all the crap activision has pulled with it. That just means they will keep going even further down that road and will say it was the right thing to do.
(note that I have NOT checked any of these numbers, I'm making them up for hypothetical example).
Wait. So, selling less means it's a better idea for shareholders? Be right back, because I'm gonna go snag a few hundred EA shares when it bottoms out(looks like they should easily hit $7-10 at the rate they're going by feb/march) and bring this up at the next meeting. Especially with the whole DLC/marketing/forced closed system. The problem is of course their idea isn't making the money, it's closing them off from money, so I'm wondering. Why?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

94. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 21:10 Jerykk

Dev wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 20:42:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 19:58:
On a side note, what exactly is it about Steam's content delivery rules that EA can't accept? DAO and ME1 and 2 both have DLC that cannot be downloaded from Steam. So what makes DA2, Crysis 2, BF3 and ME3 unique?
The most likely explanation I've seen is that valve saw EA trying to sell exclusive DLC through its own games on steam (without also offering the option to sell the DLC through steam), and realized that the already signed agreements didn't stop them from doing that. Valve didn't expect anyone to pull that kinda trick. And it would have been bad if the F2P games started doing that because then steam would get NOTHING in return for hosting those games. So when the next game from EA came up (I believe it right around DA2), valve put a thing in the agreement that said they couldn't do that unless they also sold the DLC through steam. EA signed the change, didn't care about the contract and kept doing their crap, valve called them on it, and EA had 2 choices.
A) They could have agreed to ALSO sell the DLC through steam as well as through their own channels.
B) OR they could just pull that game and say "screw you valve."

They of course chose the latter. The other games are still there because the agreement signed for them didn't prohibit them from that kinda thing.

If Valve really has a rule requiring that all DLC be available on Steam, then why haven't DAO, ME1 and ME2 been removed from Steam yet? Crysis 2 and DA2 were on Steam initially and then removed later, showing that such a rule would be retroactively enforced. They would have never been put on Steam in the first place if Valve didn't agree with the initial contract. Dirt 2 and 3 also have DLC that isn't available on Steam, yet they haven't been removed.

The whole thing just seems too inconsistent to be an actual Steam rule. Given that only the newest and higher-profile EA titles have been removed (Alice: Madness Returns is still available on Steam), it seems much more likely that EA requested that they be removed, not Valve.

93. Re: Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. Jan 15, 2012, 21:07 Mordecai Walfish

Obvious attempt by EA to paint Steam as Nazi Germany and "They're the reason you can't have nice stuff!!". Anyone with half a brain knows that for EA, Mass Effect 3 is just their newest trojan horse to get their direct sales and advertisement platform onto millions of PC's.

Fuck 'em.

92. Re: Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. Jan 15, 2012, 20:50 Dev

Prez wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 20:43:
More nonsense. Honestly, I don't really care any more if EA has a valid gripe or is just behaving like a petulant child. I know 2 things for sure: 1) Steam is a far far better platform than Origin in every conceivable way, and 2) Valve is a far far better company than EA. Given that, and the fact that I can totally see a sleazy company like EA doing this for the sole purpose of spiting Steam regardless of what they say, I'm not too interested in the official BS that EA has put out repeatedly over this issue. It's highly likely this is just a shifty company behaving in a shifty manner.
I agree 100%
I've seen too much sleaze come from EA in the past many many times during the past couple decades, and not just against customers but against employees and studios they buy out and kill, etc. Whereas valve has really only pulled 1 big stunt (the one where they didn't do what they said they would in L4D series).

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 20:43:
Considering the cranky people here and the ~180 page thread on their forums, you have to wonder if they get it yet. I'm really not sure what the hell it is with companies this year having a "god complex"
I'm pretty sure they DON'T CARE. If they sell say 5 million BF3 copies, and could have sold 1 million more with steam, they will say that was the price of having an exclusive on origin. More likely they will look at it and say it was more successful than BF2142 and BF:BC2 so that means what they are doing with origins is going in the right direction.
Its like how the latest MW3 is the fastest CoD seller to date, despite all the crap activision has pulled with it. That just means they will keep going even further down that road and will say it was the right thing to do.
(note that I have NOT checked any of these numbers, I'm making them up for hypothetical example).

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2012, 20:59.

91. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 20:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Considering the cranky people here and the ~180 page thread on their forums, you have to wonder if they get it yet. I'm really not sure what the hell it is with companies this year having a "god complex" moment like IBM back in the '90's and GM/Ford/Chrysler/AMC did back in the '80's.

As it stands, there's some of the ToS/elua stuff for origin that still don't fly in the EU and Canada. Mostly relating to personal information.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

90. Re: Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. Jan 15, 2012, 20:43 Prez

More nonsense. Honestly, I don't really care any more if EA has a valid gripe or is just behaving like a petulant child. I know 2 things for sure: 1) Steam is a far far better platform than Origin in every conceivable way, and 2) Valve is a far far better company than EA. Given that, and the fact that I can totally see a sleazy company like EA doing this for the sole purpose of spiting Steam regardless of what they say, I'm not too interested in the official BS that EA has put out repeatedly over this issue. It's highly likely this is just a shifty company behaving in a shifty manner.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

89. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 20:42 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 19:58:
On a side note, what exactly is it about Steam's content delivery rules that EA can't accept? DAO and ME1 and 2 both have DLC that cannot be downloaded from Steam. So what makes DA2, Crysis 2, BF3 and ME3 unique?
The most likely explanation I've seen is that valve saw EA trying to sell exclusive DLC through its own games on steam (without also offering the option to sell the DLC through steam), and realized that the already signed agreements didn't stop them from doing that. Valve didn't expect anyone to pull that kinda trick. And it would have been bad if the F2P games started doing that because then steam would get NOTHING in return for hosting those games. So when the next game from EA came up (I believe it right around DA2), valve put a thing in the agreement that said they couldn't do that unless they also sold the DLC through steam. EA signed the change, didn't care about the contract and kept doing their crap, valve called them on it, and EA had 2 choices.
A) They could have agreed to ALSO sell the DLC through steam as well as through their own channels.
B) OR they could just pull that game and say "screw you valve."

They of course chose the latter. The other games are still there because the agreement signed for them didn't prohibit them from that kinda thing.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2012, 20:49.

88. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 20:40 Slashman

That's what I'd like to know.

Could it be that Steam has had support issues with the previous titles due to the DLC not being available from Steam directly?

That would actually bring some context to things. If people buy a game from store A...but have to purchase, register and activate DLC from store B, then trying to support the game when there is a problem may be quite a nightmare for store A.

The problem may not simply be that Steam wants a cut of DLC(although that's a given), but that Steam needs to be able to determine what someone is running for support purposes.

87. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 20:40 Dev

javajeff wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 19:42:
I think competition is great for gamers and it will keep the prices down. Let them all offer GREAT deals for your eyeballs.
Yeah thats great in theory... But have you kept an eye on EA deals on steam? They are rarely that good, and usually wait until long after the games release to have decent sales. And so far they have NOT had all that great of sales on origin that I've seen. I think they had a couple titles on decent sales on the holiday sales, but they were all stuff I had on steam already and nothing that was new.

86. Re: Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. Jan 15, 2012, 20:34 nin

That is a physical/boxed product only. You can't download it from Origin.

I didn't say you could. But it's still branded "Origin".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

85. Valve's games are exclusive to Steam. Jan 15, 2012, 20:31 hb3d

nin wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 20:17:
http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/pd/productID.81565900/sac.true
That is a physical/boxed product only. You can't download it from Origin.

Valve's games for the PC are only available for digital download on Steam.

EA's games are available for download on Origin and every other digital distributor such as Amazon except Steam.

84. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 20:23 xXBatmanXx

Another lost sale and a rental on the xbox.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

83. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 20:17 nin

You cannot buy the Source games on other platforms.

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/pd/productID.81565900/sac.true

$10 higher than steam.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

82. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:58 Jerykk

Gawd. They're not even trying to. Anyone with half a brain, i.e. not you, should be able to tell that EA's Origin service is not even trying to compete with Steam. EA is only using Origin to control their own content on the PC platform. They do not even intend to sell other publisher's games or broaden the spectrum of Origin beyond their own stuff.

Yikes. Please do some research before accusing people of only having half a brain. Origin already sells other publishers' games and they've announced their intent to get more publishers to sign up. So yes, Origin is very clearly trying to compete with Steam.

As for revenue, any EA game sold digitally through Origin is 100% profit for EA. They cut out the middle man completely. That's a pretty good reason for them to care about Origin. Even non-EA sales are profitable, as EA only has to host the games on their servers in return for a 30% cut.

81. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:48 Wolfen

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:49:
Wolfen wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:33:
You won't beat steam EA. Give it up.

Gawd. They're not even trying to. Anyone with half a brain, i.e. not you, should be able to tell that EA's Origin service is not even trying to compete with Steam. EA is only using Origin to control their own content on the PC platform. They do not even intend to sell other publisher's games or broaden the spectrum of Origin beyond their own stuff.
I'm also sure that they don't really give much of a fuck about Steam or their own Origin service even. It's a fun little side endeavor for them. They are making 90%+ of their revenue on the consoles. If you think they really care about Steam you had better think again.

I love the name callers here. Always a great way to get a point across.

80. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:42 javajeff

EA is trying to sell their own games on their own platform just like Steam does for Half Life 2 and Source games. You cannot buy the Source games on other platforms. I think competition is great for gamers and it will keep the prices down. Let them all offer GREAT deals for your eyeballs. While you may have 3 services installed, you do not have to run them in the background. Just run them when you want to play their game.  

79. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:37 Agent.X7

deqer wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:55:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:40:
I wonder how many of you in your righteous fury are also full of shit.
0? or very few? it's kind of rare. So rare infact it would be common sense to not even wonder about it--out loud in front of everyone.

Yes, I'm sure. Clearly the Internet is not full of people who are full of shit.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

78. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:30 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 19:06:
How is EA boycotting Steam? You do realize that Valve showed EA the door and not the other way around, right?
It started with EA selling crap from within their games, bypassing Steam. Valve pointed out that this was against their TOS. EA didn't care and didn't want to back down and change the way they sold their crap and then Valve kicked EA out the door.
EA is boycotting Steam because they have deliberately adopted a policy that prevents their games from being allowed on Steam. Afterall, Valve didn't remove all of EA's games - it simply removed any that broke the rules, hence why you can buy Dragon Age: Origins but not Dragon Age II.

Valve says no shoes in the house; EA refuses to take off shoes. Who is to blame for EA not entering the house? EA.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

77. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:23 zodden

No sale here then.  

76. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:17 gradbot

Sweet, now I don't have to buy a copy for the PC. I'll just wait until my fiancée beats it on the xbox.  

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo