Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin

A post on the BioWare Social Network by BioWare's Chris Priestly has word that EA's Origin service will indeed be a required to play Mass Effect 3, as well as word that the RPG sequel will not be sold via Steam (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Here's word:

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) Iíve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on userís machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

View
155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

35. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:55 Bumpy

Guess I'll be the odd man out.

If the game proves great and interests me, I'll buy it. Steam, Origin, UPlay, BattleNet, ...same stuff different day, like another account will kill me. <shrug>

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:54 DangerDog

deqer wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 14:25:
Dev wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:55:
This is the future of EA, no more games on steam from them, only on origin.
Will be a sad future for them, since the past as already given them bad reputation. This move with Origin just makes it worse.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6348611.html

EA pulled $1 billion in 2011

33. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:44 CJ_Parker

Icewind wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:54:
Bet you feel dumb now.

Not nearly as dumb as you yet but it does indeed look like I was mistaken about the 3rd party involvement. Might have to do with me being in Europe and if I launch Origin I only see EA games and no 3rd party games in their online store so maybe the 3rd party push hasn't arrived here yet.

Still my point remains: Anyone who believes that EA is seriously giving a crap or trying to seriously compete with Steam is fooling themselves. They may be trying to annoy Steam a little like a mosquito crawling up the ear of the elephant but there is no way that EA is all of a sudden trying to get serious about the PC business. The money is on the consoles for them. Always has been, always will.

If EA would be serious about this all you'd see them break into this market niche much more aggressively with massive discounts and major 3rd party support but that ain't happening.

No, Sir. This is purely strategical. The intention is not to compete with Steam and to build up something of their own but more to prevent Steam from becoming even more monopolistic. Origin is like a minor preemptive strike. It's only meant to divert and redirect business from Steam to Origin. Business that is probably very small scale compared to EA's other console centric divisions.

32. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:25 deqer

Dev wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:55:
Will be a sad future for them, since the past as already given them bad reputation. This move with Origin just makes it worse.

31. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:22 Cutter

DangerDog wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:26:
BF3 was pirated, ME3 will be too.

For awhile some people were even able to run BF3 mulitplayer without origin using a hacked version, updates to the game have since plugged that hole.

Origin isn't any worse than Steam, I object to the way EA handles DLC for games like ME3 more than anything. Preorder exclusives, product tie-ins with games/products I have no interest in, ignoring the PC platform and releasing stuff only for consoles etc.

Well said, sir. Couple ALL of that with the fact that EA likes to kill games and support for them ASAP their service is more like a rental service at full retail prices. Ahh no thenk yew.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

30. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:15 Riker

JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:17:
Well looks like I won't be playing ME3. I was pissed I even had to get Steam, think it's BS I have to run a bunch of 3rd party programs to play games nowadays. Guess I'm sticking to MMO's.
Is there an accompanying over-reacting tantrum on video to go along with this post? I'd love to see it.

29. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:11 necrosis

Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.
God I love EA's horse shit. Connect to your customers? You mean control your customers. EA, YOUR terms of service are the restrictive one. Pot calling the kettle black anyone?

You demand that all patches and DLC run through YOUR service. How is that not restrictive? Steam says if you release patches and DLC it must be available to all. It allows the customer to chose where they get their DLC from and makes it easier for installing.

O well. Guess I am skipping ME3. Even if it was on Steam if it required Origin I would tell them to sod off.

28. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:01 DG

Didn't buy BF3 due to Origin, won't be buying ME3 due to origin.

Shame, it's been a good series. Though I kept hearing bad-sounding noises about the game so maybe it won't turn out to be much of a loss.

27. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:00 deqer

Why would they try to pull this move with a game as unpopular as mass effect 3. lol

26. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:56 Lokust

I'm just not interested in having multiple digital game service apps instead on my computer. If your game isn't big enough to get on Steam, I'm not interested.  

25. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:55 Dev

#4 is a lie. Steam says they can sell DLC any way they like as long as they ALSO make the dlc available through steam. Which makes sense to me as a customer, I don't want to sign up to a new thing for every game I buy on steam to buy DLC.

I think the main reason ME3 is on origin is because origin is EA and they are trying to do exclusive titles to make it succeed.

24. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:54 Icewind

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:49:
Wolfen wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:33:
You won't beat steam EA. Give it up.

They do not even intend to sell other publisher's games or broaden the spectrum of Origin beyond their own stuff. in.

You don't read a lot, do you?

here

here, part 2

And if you still don't believe me, here's one from Ea themselves:

straight from the horse's mouth

Bet you feel dumb now.

23. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:53 TheEmissary

Kajetan wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:34:
Hudson wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:30:
My guess is EA got greedy and figured they can make more money with Origin.
EA wants to control the way people play their games to monetize the whole gaming experience. They cannot do that with Steam.

Most likely but not because they weren't making money hand over fist selling them on steam. There are tons of games on steam that sell DLC and few games that depend on that model almost entirely and still work out. I bet you there are quite a few people out there that would probably pay a 5-10% markup on the DLC prices similar to what EA did with the BC2 DLC on Steam Versions.

I don't think it ever was how much money they were making but the fact they didn't have presence in online publishing. They could have easily worked out a deal with Valve to do 3rd party patches considering that Valve is changing how the patching system is done. We are but consumers and probably will never know the bull that goes through some executives mind.

22. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:53 Ludomancer

Overon wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:29:
Well this is going to give people who pirate another reason to rationalize their piracy.

Or people who buy games a reason to rationalize their piracy.

21. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:52 theyarecomingforyou

I didn't buy BF3, despite a strong interest in it. I very rarely ever buy any game that is not on Steam - in fact Starcraft II is the only one in recent years and I'm considering Diablo III, though the Blizzard downloader is incredibly shitty. But Origin goes beyond shitty. My brother had no end of troubles with BF3, including the game downloading up to 90% on at least 3 occasions before restarting from scratch. Technical issues aside, I don't like what EA is doing with Origin - it is more restrictive, has fewer features, has anti-consumer clauses (bans for forum posts, etc) and... it's EA.

I am very happy to keep my money to myself. I dislike Activision but that's more for overpricing their games and they at least distribute their games on Steam and aren't engaging in a power struggle with Valve. Steam has contributed more to the gaming industry than EA ever will and I will not support EA trying to bring them down. If that means buying no more Mass Effect, Command & Conquer or Dragon Age games then so be it. I guess it means no Syndicate either, so I'll cross that of my list of games I'm interested in.

No Mass Effect 3 for me then. Thanks EA. Fuck you.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

20. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:50 Icewind

Fion wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:44:

I'd say Bioware should be worried, but they know better than to show that in the face of their EA overlords.

This.

Keep in mind though that EA has a long track record of acquiring, ruining and then finally dismantling gifted developers. You can go talk to Lord British and Peter Molyneux about that if you doubt me.

BioWare is just another in their long line of ruined developers. After the travesty that was Dragon Age 2 I swore off BioWare forever. They could make Baldur's Gate 3 and I wouldn't even load up a preview on it, much less buy it.

19. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:49 CJ_Parker

Wolfen wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:33:

Gawd. They're not even trying to. Anyone with half a brain, i.e. not you, should be able to tell that EA's Origin service is not even trying to compete with Steam. EA is only using Origin to control their own content on the PC platform. They do not even intend to sell other publisher's games or broaden the spectrum of Origin beyond their own stuff.
I'm also sure that they don't really give much of a fuck about Steam or their own Origin service even. It's a fun little side endeavor for them. They are making 90%+ of their revenue on the consoles. If you think they really care about Steam you had better think again.

18. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:44 Fion

There's already a 150 page thread on the ME3 forums about this. It's basically fully of people proving it's basically shareware and even those that don't think it is, most won't use it because it's simply a shitty program and a resource hog.

I'd say Bioware should be worried, but they know better than to show that in the face of their EA overlords.

17. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:34 Kajetan

Hudson wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:30:
My guess is EA got greedy and figured they can make more money with Origin.
EA wants to control the way people play their games to monetize the whole gaming experience. They cannot do that with Steam.

16. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:33 Wolfen

155 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo