Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report of the ten bestselling titles for the past week on Steam:

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  2. Dead Space Pack
  3. Age of Empires Complete
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. Anno 2070
  6. Terraria
  7. Jagged Alliance: Back in Action
  8. Q.U.B.E.
  9. Dead Space 2
  10. Saints Row: The Third

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 17, 2012, 04:39 Jerykk

Arkham City was a great game but it's true that the DX11 implementation was pretty broken at launch. Pretty disappointing, especially considering the PC version's delay. From what I've read, the DX11 stuff runs okay now, though not quite as well as it should.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 17, 2012, 03:30 Dev

Kosumo wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 03:08:
If you cant enjoy the game without dx11, I fell sorry for you, it makes next to no diffense, you either like the game (design) or not dx11 makes no diffence to the gameplay
I haven't played the game, waiting for it to go on a good sale (and for them to get some patches in, and besides they'll probably do a GotY version with all the DLC). I bought and played the earlier one though. The dx11 thing is an example of how the game has some widespread issues to respond to another post.

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 17, 2012, 03:08 Kosumo

If you cant enjoy the game without dx11, I fell sorry for you, it makes next to no diffense, you either like the game (design) or not dx11 makes no diffence to the gameplay  

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 17, 2012, 01:26 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 18:28:
I haven't had any issues with Arkham City, nor have I heard of any widespread problems, nor have I heard about poor support.

Pull your head out of the sand. How exactly has Arkham City earned your despise?
At the very least there was the broken dx11 mode in the released game (a feature that was hyped before release). Even the official recommendation from the company was NOT to use it. Weeks after release, they finally released a patch that made it somewhat playable.

That's the patch in this story:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/128196/arkham-city-patched

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 17, 2012, 00:53 ^Drag0n^

Sorry PJHF, but I'm with Jerykk on this one. I'm not one that likes or adheres to rails... I easily spent 100+ hours on Fallout 3 and New Vegas... I tend to explore the world and sidequests, rather than running it like an Infinity Ward game on rails.

Honestly, I believe that the game has enough content to outlast just about anyone's willingness to explore.

Supposedly the words of Oblivion and Morrowind are already in the game, just waiting for Bethesda to populate them in an expansion (or enterprising modmakers to do same)

YMMV.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 23:42 Jerykk

No, sorry, there simply isn't 200 hours worth of content in the game. In 65 hours I had fully explored/completed half the overworld and half the cities and did half the guilds. In a subsequent playthrough as a different "class" I did the other half. Unless you are fucking terrible at games or you inexplicably had to make a potion out of every fucking alchemical reagent on the world map, there's no way you should approach 200 hours on a single character.

How to get more than 200 hours in one playthrough:

1) Play stealthily on Master difficulty and don't use overpowered items or companions. If you want an extra challenge, make sure to choose a race that doesn't have any inherent magic, frost or fire resistance bonuses. Also, don't grind or use trainers in order to level up faster than you normally would. Don't use the inherently overpowered smithing or enchanting skills either.
2) Discover the effects for every alchemical ingredient.
3) Clear every dungeon.
4) Complete every quest.
5) Talk to every NPC.
6) Pickpocket every NPC.
7) Break into every house and explore every room.
8) Read every book.

It really isn't hard to get 200 hours out of Skyrim unless you feel compelled to rush through games as quickly as possible. I don't really understand your apparent disgust at the fact that people can get more out of the game than you. You're not one of those people who rushed through DX:HR in 12 hours, are you?

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2012, 23:48.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 19:25 PHJF

No, sorry, there simply isn't 200 hours worth of content in the game. In 65 hours I had fully explored/completed half the overworld and half the cities and did half the guilds. In a subsequent playthrough as a different "class" I did the other half. Unless you are fucking terrible at games or you inexplicably had to make a potion out of every fucking alchemical reagent on the world map, there's no way you should approach 200 hours on a single character.

And continuing to play the game past certain character progression points is fucking stupid to begin with. Crafting/weapon/magic skills reach 100 and you become a walking god, none of the items you find hold a candle to your already-equipped gear, and you have a mansion in Solitude and 100,000 gold. That's about the point anybody that isn't retarded says, "gee, maybe I should start a new character?"

Steam + PSN: PHJF

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 19:04 Marvin T. Martian

Krovven wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 18:28:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 18:06:
And look, one of the -so called games of year isn't even on that list--I think it had something to do with a city and a guy dressed like a bat.
Now that word is out that support is terrible, GFWL, and blah blah-peeps are avoiding it.

And it's not Steam exclusive, which makes a massive difference.

It's also been on sale for $20-$25 a lot in the last 4 weeks at various non-Steam vendors.

I haven't had any issues with Arkham City, nor have I heard of any widespread problems, nor have I heard about poor support.

Pull your head out of the sand. How exactly has Arkham City earned your despise?

Take your head out of the sand and visit the forums for the game.

And BTW--todays news--didn't even make the top 10 for 2011 at Amazon.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 14:20 Verno

That faster horse sprint mod someone mentioned in a previous thread is essential IMO, those things are useless without it.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 13:36 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 12:33:
And if you haven't "beaten" the game at 200 hours on a single character you have serious fucking pacing problems. I got my first character to level 51 in under 65 hours and decided, "OK, enough is enough, time to finish the damn game."

Not everyone cares about completing the main quest. Some people would rather clear all the dungeons and sidequests. Or steal from every house and NPC. That's the beauty of the Elder Scrolls games; you can ignore the main quest and still gets tons of gameplay.

Exactly. You get to play the game how you want, not how some other douche-bag (see initial quote) thinks you should play it.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 13:34 Dev

J wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 06:17:
My horse keeps getting killed. If only there were some way to protect it...
Oh you mean like running up the editor and cranking up the horse HP?

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 12:33 Jerykk

And if you haven't "beaten" the game at 200 hours on a single character you have serious fucking pacing problems. I got my first character to level 51 in under 65 hours and decided, "OK, enough is enough, time to finish the damn game."

Not everyone cares about completing the main quest. Some people would rather clear all the dungeons and sidequests. Or steal from every house and NPC. That's the beauty of the Elder Scrolls games; you can ignore the main quest and still gets tons of gameplay.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 12:20 PHJF

Horses are slow as fuck, and if you really need to get somewhere, fast, it's faster still to enter wolf form and run.

Unless of course you're some kind of dickbag who isn't a werewolf.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 11:45 J

wtf_man wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 10:39:

There is!
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1248

(Yes, I was countering the "Horse Armor DLC" joke with a real Mod option, as a joke in it's own way)

Touché, and well played! Mmm, but somebody earlier suggested mounted combat, and frankly I'd rather have that. Being able to cast and fight on horseback would be neat. I don't tend to invest in horses as I have to keep getting off them to fight, and that's when they get involved in the fight or run off (if I stole it ).

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 10:39 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 01:34:
Maybe they are afraid to tinker with the "new" gamebryo game engine.

Maybe they don't have a rendering engine programmer, and leave that all to the company that they bought the engine from. We're talking Bethessda Game Studios, here... not ID. I would Imagine that their programmers mainly coded the game logic and the radiant AI stuff (whit is probably what Todd Howard was referring to as a "New Engine").

There is!
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1248

(Yes, I was countering the "Horse Armor DLC" joke with a real Mod option, as a joke in it's own way)

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 07:54 Slashman

Ray Ban wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 07:38:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:59:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:57:
... still waiting for the 10 dollar or less sale, Game of the Year edition(all DLC included) for Skyrim.

I blame the flood of Indie bundles, steam/gog/Gamersgate sales... I still have like 20+ games to play.

(First World Problems)
If there ever is DLC...

Heheheheheh

Do not joke about that people... Uhoh

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 07:38 Ray Ban

... still waiting for the 10 dollar or less sale, Game of the Year edition(all DLC included) for Skyrim.

I blame the flood of Indie bundles, steam/gog/Gamersgate sales... I still have like 20+ games to play.

(First World Problems)
If there ever is DLC...

Heheheheheh

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 06:52 jimnms

wtf_man wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:34:
Well... I've got 160 hours in, with my first and only character. And while I have done almost all of the quest content... there's still wandering and discovering dungeons I haven't been to on the map, and crafting. I can see this pushing 200hours on one character... plus playing with mods here and there...
I've got 220+ hours on my first and only character. According to the game stats, I've only completed 5 main story missions. To give you an idea of where I'm at in the main story, I visited the gray beards, then was sent off to find that horn of wind something. I still haven't gotten the damn thing.

After visiting the gray beards, I decided to swing down by Riften because I had a quest there, then I picked up bunch more quests. I eventually made my way back to Whiterun because I couldn't carry any more and needed to sell some stuff and drop stuff off at my house. I set off to return to Riften and complete some of those quests, but I never made it there. Instead I ended up on the opposite side of the map near Solitude.

Steam Profile

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 06:46 InBlack

We need more skills, mounted combat would be nice.

Im very glad that a 200h+ RPG is selling so well. It still wont change anything in the industry though, since a multiplayer game with a 4 hour campaign can make 1 billion dollars in one week.

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 06:17 J

(First World Problems)
If there ever is DLC...

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo