Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Facebook Page has some positive news about the state of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 following indications that developer GSC Game World may be shutting down (thanks Gamer's Hell via Factornews). Here's what they say about the first-person shooter sequel:

The Stalker team is extremely happy! Why? Because we are continuing work on Stalker 2 after the holidays.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 13, 2012, 07:47 Silicon Avatar

Well I tried it with the mod. Visually it looks pretty good. The story doesn't seem to be there? I just keep finding guys who give me fetch quests and babble Russian.

I'll keep trying though. Maybe it's just that the first encampment is underwhelming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 13, 2012, 01:53 MajorD

Jerykk wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 00:36:
Day time is fine, it is just the night time that is SO DARK; I guess to be more realistic.

Well, yeah, that's kinda the whole point. If you don't have a flashlight or night vision goggles, you probably shouldn't wander around at night.

Grin...I'll be sure to look both ways before crossing the street too, just to be safe.

45. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 13, 2012, 00:36 Jerykk

Day time is fine, it is just the night time that is SO DARK; I guess to be more realistic.

Well, yeah, that's kinda the whole point. If you don't have a flashlight or night vision goggles, you probably shouldn't wander around at night.

44. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 20:31 MajorD

Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 19:07:
MajorD wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 10:44:
the night time lighting being SO DARK. From what I have read in the forums and such, is that it is supposed to be that dark; however, IT IS DARK.
As an aside, darkness in a game can usually be adjusted in the game's graphics menu, under brightness or gamma. As a last resort, a graphics card driver often has settings that can override the game's brightness and/or gamma. So regardless of how dark the game is supposed to be, if you want it to be brighter, its likely possible for you to do that.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it, but I do know this. I did tweak those settings, but it didn't help much; too much adjustment washed it out. I just need to do some more tweaking to find the sweet spot. Day time is fine, it is just the night time that is SO DARK; I guess to be more realistic. Thinking2

43. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 19:07 Dev

MajorD wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 10:44:
the night time lighting being SO DARK. From what I have read in the forums and such, is that it is supposed to be that dark; however, IT IS DARK.
As an aside, darkness in a game can usually be adjusted in the game's graphics menu, under brightness or gamma. As a last resort, a graphics card driver often has settings that can override the game's brightness and/or gamma. So regardless of how dark the game is supposed to be, if you want it to be brighter, its likely possible for you to do that.

42. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 17:02 theyarecomingforyou

venomhed wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 15:44:
I really disliked Metro 2033 due to its linearity. Everyone experienced the same game, there were NO choices except very minor ones. When you have such a controlled game, you really can detail the hell out of it, but a Skyrim, Fallout or Stalker are much trickier games. To each their own of course.
There's no denying the linearity but I very much enjoyed the experience. At the same time I love open-world games like Far Cry 2, Skyrim, STALKER, etc. The experience is more important than the game being open-world, even though I personally prefer freedom. I enjoyed Clear Sky in part because sections were more linear and therefore more directed - the bridge battle was awesome.

venomhed wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 15:44:
Stalker sure has balls, really out there and def a PC game. No arrows over the top of building saying "GO HERE" no leveling so at anytime you could get killed regardless of your equipment. The desolation that so many are complaining about are completely missing the point, its a nuclear devastated area, what do you want, Duke Nukem?
I get the desolation. But it's still really boring walking across huge open expanses of nothingness, especially when the graphics aren't very compelling - I loved the openness of Far Cry 2 in part because all the environments had a lot of character, a huge amount of variety (including tundra, near blinding deserts and tropical oases), as well as random encounters (even though they were a bit repetitive). Clear Sky's narrative was too linear - in stark contrast to SoC - but some of the set-pieces really upped the ante, especially when the AI worked right and you had epic firefights. To me it was like the Terminator / Terminator 2 and Alien / Aliens progression - the first is an atmospheric horror, the second ups the stakes and gives you open warfare. They both great but for different reasons.

I'm going to try to really get into CoP as I don't want to write if off but it just didn't have the magic of the rest of the series to me. And Clear Sky is an underrated game in my opinion. I'll never forget how dynamic the game was, as epic firefights could occur almost out of nowhere and the weather would change from clear skies to thunderstorms with torrential rain and lighting. And the buildings were all a lot more iconic. The gameplay mechanics were a bit rough around the edges but STALKER was never about a polished experience. It was always pretty quirky.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

41. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 16:52 Matshock

PHJF wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 16:24:
I was ranking them in order in which I prefer them...

+1

In a time when CS was a welcome fix between SOC and COP it was worth playing- now, not so much.

If it were me I'd play SOC for the best ending (it's a cryptic path to get there so I would consult a walkthrough), then read a synopsis of the plot of CS then play COP with no walkthrough.

This is an awesome, awesome series- I sure hope S2 makes it out in style.

(COP) I still remember crawling out of a radioactive hell into Pripyat for the first time, shaken, near death only expecting to meet an even worse death in that horrible place. I haven't been that nervous playing a game since the original System Shock when I was 13.

40. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 16:24 PHJF

I was ranking them in order in which I prefer them...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 15:47 venomhed

PHJF has the games time line in order, but the actual game releases were different.

1. Shadow of Chernobyl was the very first Stalker game.
2. Clear Sky was the prequel to SoC
3. Call of Pripyat was the final game within the same zone.

All 3 use the same game engine, but CS and CoP added dx11 and fine tuned their engine. Not one single game, with maybe the exception of Skyrim at times, has been able to capture the ambiance that Stalker has created.

38. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 15:44 venomhed

"After playing Metro 2033, that had great atmosphere, a strong narrative and awesome weapon handling I'm having trouble sticking with CoP."

I really disliked Metro 2033 due to its linearity. Everyone experienced the same game, there were NO choices except very minor ones. When you have such a controlled game, you really can detail the hell out of it, but a Skyrim, Fallout or Stalker are much trickier games. To each their own of course.

Stalker sure has balls, really out there and def a PC game. No arrows over the top of building saying "GO HERE" no leveling so at anytime you could get killed regardless of your equipment. The desolation that so many are complaining about are completely missing the point, its a nuclear devastated area, what do you want, Duke Nukem?

It would be sad to see such artsy, original and risky games fade away. Much like the movies, more people are going to watch and love Transformers 2011 than say The Thing 1982.

37. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 15:35 PHJF

1. Pripyat
2. SHOC
3. CS

CS copies + pastes 95% of its content from SHOC, and the "faction warfare" (its primary selling point) was COMPLETELY broken at release. Even when fixed, it was still lame/stupid/boring/halfassed. The end of CS is a linearfest more akin to Metro 2033 than SHOC.

SHOC still has the best area in the series, Yantar, which was the reason Stalker was so praised for its environment and ambience. Yantar is a completely unique experience.

Pripyat, to me, represented the final trimming of Stalker's rough edges. The zones were well laid out, large, and full of places to explore. Combat was tuned, anomalies were improved, and the general progression (culminating in the urban center of Pripyat itself, a welcome respite from all the player's exploits in the countryside) was smooth.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

36. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 13:42 Matshock

Quick rundown on COP Complete as requested:

1. FOR DX-10/11 render options make sure you go into advanced options as set SUN to high and all your DX-10/11 stuff to high or the game will crash when you try to start playing.

Good: "Complete Pack" works as advertised; not going to repeat their bullet points for them.

Bad: Still has bad multi-core support so 1-2 second pauses on large maps are still common. They are pauses though, so the action won't keep going while you're lagged.

35. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 11:24 Silicon Avatar

I bought Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl a long time ago in a value pack combo deal from Steam. I never tried it but I think I will download that "complete" mod and give it a whirl.

It's weird that the developer won't deny rumors of closing down. It makes me think that they are, but if they're still developing it also makes me think they're frantically shopping around for someone else to fund them. Maybe they will make it.

Haha. I got it. Interplay should fund them. The internet fury would be so awesome.

34. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 11:22 Ludomancer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 10:34:

I'm still trying to get into Call Of Pripyat but I think I might have STALKER burnout, as I'm finding the massive empty landscape - seriously, you just walk and walk and walk without anything to do - and unintelligible plot to be a huge turn-off. The graphics are barely an improvement over previous games, which makes it feel very dated. After playing Metro 2033, that had great atmosphere, a strong narrative and awesome weapon handling I'm having trouble sticking with CoP.

It took me about a year (maybe two) to finally push through Pripyat. It's a rough one to penetrate, and it wasn't until after I beat Pripyat that I even got what they were trying to do. Pripyat is meandering because nearly everything is optional. Every major quest in the game alters the ending you get, right down to who you keep alive during fire fights. It wasn't the best design of the series, but it makes me happy they keep trying out different formulas.

Ultimately the only thing Pripyat really brought to the table for me were the localized anomalous zones. You could see where each major anomaly was on the map, and you knew if you went there you were in for a very different experience than the last, and pretty much guaranteed to get at least 1 relic out of it. They were like little mini-dungeons scattered all across the landscape. I really hope they bring that aspect back to the next game.

And I thought Pripyats visuals were a major step back from both the first two games. You could see incredibly far, but everything beyond a 100 yard limit looked like an early polygonal game from the late 90's.

33. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 11:12 Creston

That's great news. Still actually haven't played any of the first ones, but it's good to see a (PC Exclusive?) game of this kind being worked on, since the rest of the shooter industry has devolved into Call of Railroaded Horseshit clones.

Creston

32. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 10:48 Suckage

Yeah it does get incredibly dark at night...  

31. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 10:44 MajorD

Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 00:48:
I own stalker but haven't played it much more than a couple hours.

Someone posted this link in another thread to Stalker Complete
Its a mod that improves a lot things on the game, mostly graphics.
The description excites me:
It was designed by professional graphic artists with rich experience in the field, following industry standards for creating interactive 3D environments. It features artistic works and modifications from many community members unified under one art direction.
[...]
Natural lighting, vast panoramic views, depth of field, parallax mapping, SSAO, over 900 reworked texture files, including vehicles and armor suites with manual bump editing, you won't believe it's the same game.
And thats just part of the stuff listed.

I'm thinking of using that for my first time playthrough.

Following the quote from yesterday on STALKER Complete, I ended up DL and installing it last night. So far, the grapphics, sound, etc. look outstanding, but one thing I am not sure about is the night time lighting being SO DARK. From what I have read in the forums and such, is that it is supposed to be that dark; however, IT IS DARK. Can anyone confirm that?

30. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 10:34 theyarecomingforyou

I really like Clear Sky. It definitely had its issues, especially at release, but in many ways I found it to be better than Shadow of Chernobyl. However, SoC easily had the best atmosphere - the sewers were downright scary.

I'm still trying to get into Call Of Pripyat but I think I might have STALKER burnout, as I'm finding the massive empty landscape - seriously, you just walk and walk and walk without anything to do - and unintelligible plot to be a huge turn-off. The graphics are barely an improvement over previous games, which makes it feel very dated. After playing Metro 2033, that had great atmosphere, a strong narrative and awesome weapon handling I'm having trouble sticking with CoP.

I'm cautiously looking forward to STALKER 2 but they need a huge graphical overhaul, a complete redesign of the interface, a rework of the game mechanics and a narrative that isn't confusing junk, with dense paragraphs of text appearing on the screen. But given the problems at the studio I'm concerned that they're really not going to get the budget they need to make the game a real success.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

29. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 10:07 Dev

arnold wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 06:39:
dont like this game...buggy, stupid weapon, u just walk walk walk... dont like the graphics effects...

I believe thats the kinda stuff the mods we are talking about fix.

28. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 09:24 Ludomancer

This is fantastic news. Hearing about their potential closure at the end of last year really brought me down. I hope this is legitimate and comfortable continuation of their work, and not, say, a group of unpaid highschool kids rounded up at the last second to monkey-away on the end of a project in some russian warehouse.  

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo