Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up

The Battlefield Blog has word that DICE is turning up the heat on Battlefield 3 cheaters. They say they have handed out a bunch of bans, and are implementing new methods for reporting cheating: :

We have always taken cheating seriously. Starting today, we will further intensify our efforts to hunt down and rid Battlefield 3 of cheaters. Stats wiping and banning this disruptive minority is the only way they will understand that they are ruining the game for others. We do this for the millions of dedicated players out there who deserve a fair game, every game.

If you believe you have been the victim of outright cheating, the best way to report your concerns is to go to Battlelog, enter the profile page of the person you suspect and click the triangle in the top right corner of his name.

This will open up a window where you can describe to us at DICE what happened. Please enter as much detail as possible, describing what specifically makes you believe this player has used unfair methods, and preferably include a link to the Battle Report for the match in question.

These reports are then received by our analysts here at DICE who will do a deeper analysis of the situation and take appropriate action, including stats wiping and/or banning players who are confirmed as cheating.

Reducing the number of cheaters is an ongoing endeavor, and one that we will never stop. Thanks for your co-operation, and see you on the battlefield!

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 13, 2012, 13:40 eRe4s3r

If an entire team were to cheat, which is doubtful (often its just 1 guy) then you can either quit and report... or if its 1 guy and hes in your team and forgot to lock the squad, ruin his game by ganking him - you can do a lot of mischief to a teamm8 in BF3 ;p Particularly if FF is on.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 13, 2012, 10:11 crypto

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 22:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 21:29:
because they had high end gaming gear that allowed them to preform these actions. I've seen people do headshots like nothing and have a very high headshot % without the need of cheats.

Sounds like steroids...

48. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 13, 2012, 10:04 Verno

Fair points. The guy killing people at spawn with an ammobox is obviously cheating and needs to go, I'm just saying they have to be more careful when using metrics and user reports. There are a lot of good players and unbalanced unlocks, particularly in the vehicles which can lead to inflated scores. I went 100-4 on Bazaar the other night with the IFV just because thermal optics are so absurdly good and people were calling for me to be banned (on my own server) for "hacking". Also my headshot percentage has become inflated due to canister shell in the MBT. If EA was banning on metrics alone I'd probably be fine but I'd never want to have to worry about it in the first place.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

47. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 21:21 <Electric-Spock>

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 07:07:
BULLSHIT.

GO look at the stats.
Avg headshot should be less than 25%.

One could easily run algorithms that make sense and find the cheaters.

Regardless you should never ban by scanning metrics alone because the reporting itself isn't always accurate. They still haven't even managed to get attachment reports on kills totally accurate, they're wrong more often than not. Half of my canister shot kills in the MBT are called headshots because one pellet hits the head.

I realize it's obnoxious that some guy is 2000-2 without a ban but that's a failure on several fronts by EA, it won't be solved by just banning those people either. They need to actually address the underlying problem or those people will get another cheap foreign key and do it all over again. Banning them might make you feel better but that doof will just be back in an hour with a different name, ranking up like lightning. As people predicted Punkbuster is a total failure yet again, the only cheats I ever see it ban on my server are the ones on public hack sites.

Well, as others have stated, the cheaters have been with us for most of all games, and I doubt they will invent an anti-cheat detection service that's full proof anytime soon. However, if we have a stat system tracking scores, why not take advantage of the data and start with the banning extreme abusers? Maybe it will get to the point where they are buying a key per day but, who gives a damn, at least do something to annoy the shit out of them like they are doing to other people. Maybe after a few hundred dollars they will find a new hobby, or their allowance money from Mommy will run out.

I can't think of one reason not to ban extreme abusers unless EA's servers are vulnerable and that someone could hack in and manipulate legit users to get them banned. But if there is no sign of this happening, let's get that ban on.

46. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 21:18 <Electric-Spock>

Well, as others have stated, the cheaters have been with us for most of all games, and I doubt they will invent an anti-cheat detection service that's full proof anytime soon. However, if we have a stat system tracking scores, why not take advantage of the data and start with the banning extreme abusers? Maybe it will get to the point where they are buying a key per day but, who gives a damn, at least do something to annoy the shit out of them like they are doing to other people. Maybe after a few hundred dollars they will find a new hobby, or their allowance money from Mommy will run out.

I can't think of one reason not to ban extreme abusers unless EA's servers are vulnerable and that someone could hack in and manipulate legit users to get them banned. But if there is no sign of this happening, let's get that ban on.

45. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 19:12 Dev

MajorD wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 11:08:
I don't know why DICE/EA are so late coming to the table to address this.
Don't they historically have a record of not doing much about it? I seem to recall BF2 being plagued by this.
DG wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 13:12:
or it's a placebo button to placate people annoyed by suspected cheating.
^This

44. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 16:48 Paranoid Jack

MajorD wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 14:31:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 13:50:
WoW, loving EA more than evar! After two hours on hold I was hung up on or disconnected. I'm going to wait to see if he calls me back before I contact another EA Rep. Got to love it. What a way to spend your day off, right?

Sorry to see you are going through all that BS; it is frustrating enough having to deal with incompetence on the telephone, on top of the wait time. How many times have you had to repeat your issue?
Wall

I'd sent them an e-mail just after Origin was turned up. Never heard from them. Today I was told by the second agent another player in England has my user name with lower case J. That is why I couldn't have it. I asked how could he register when all my previous BF games (pc/ps3/x-box) are all registered under that user name. So nothing got fixed. And I was told my stats should return when the server updates. Though I highly doubt it since the stats constantly update. So my guess is I'll have to contact them again about returning my stats.

43. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 14:31 MajorD

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 13:50:
WoW, loving EA more than evar! After two hours on hold I was hung up on or disconnected. I'm going to wait to see if he calls me back before I contact another EA Rep. Got to love it. What a way to spend your day off, right?

Sorry to see you are going through all that BS; it is frustrating enough having to deal with incompetence on the telephone, on top of the wait time. How many times have you had to repeat your issue?
Wall

42. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 14:21 MajorD

Sigh.....IF ONLY THEY WENT WITH STEAM, in lieu of Origin, as Steam's VAC seams to be much better.....but I could be wrong.

41. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 13:50 Paranoid Jack

40. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 13:23 venomhed

I had that happen to me too, where a new round start, people are in "limbo" as they watch the 30 second or so timer count down. Scream after scream of my teamates dying and then myself, over and over. The match hadn't even started and the opposing prick had 30 kills, zero deaths.

WHY EA/Dice doesn't confront PB or at least explain why PB (and perhaps others) cannot stop this in any way at all? Why we don't have an easy way after a match to state someone was cheating rather than the only alternative being Rage Quit?

People that abuse this privilege by saying everyone quits could be banned themselves or limit the amount of times you can report people (obviously more thought needs to be put into this end)but the end user can help. If enough people complain, silently to EA/Dice/PB via an easy option on that users profile (such as the mentioned, 1 mm upper right corner triangle that only lets you complain about their profile), about someone, perhaps they can monitor their usage and find others that do the same and a way to detect this crap.

39. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 13:12 DG

what?

Banning people based on submitted user reports? I don't think so.

Anyone who's ever played multi-player has very probably come across someone being called a cheater and found no reason to believe it. Since you're reading Blues, you're probably an experienced enough gamer that you've probably been accused of cheating on a number of occasions.

What can they do to follow up the accusations? Perhaps look at stats but then why bother with reports, just look up stats. Reporting cheating to a server admin is worthwhile because they can spectate the player on the server.

Either these guys are happy with the ban hammer or it's a placebo button to placate people annoyed by suspected cheating.

38. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 13:06 Paranoid Jack

ATTENTION: THOSE OF YOU THINKING ABOUT CHANGING YOUR MASTER EA ID... be aware that if you contact EA about changing your Master EA Log In you may get screwed over like I just did. Just a word of warning.

When they rolled out this Origin shit I already had a User ID I'd been using for going on two decades... the same one here on Blue's, the same one on X-Box Live, and the PSNetwork. I've been playing BF games since the original. And they had my user identity as ParanoidJack since they won't allow spaces between words. Origin would not allow me to use that name when I created my account. Nor did it warn me this would be my permanent (at that time) user name in all on-line games. Nor did it warn me they had nothing in place to correct or change your names.

So today I read an earlier comment in this thread and was shocked that they had finally fix this issue... or so I thought. After trying on line to correct the Master EA ID to my other Identity listed on their own site I decide to contact EA. I gave them my cell number and was shocked a guy called me not more than a minute later. He didn't seem very bright (this should have been a warning flag to me) since I had to repeat my issue three times before he asked somebody else for help and then finally put me on hold. That was over an hour ago. I'm still on hold. He has yet to come back and advise me of anything... but I logged out of my accounts to let him do his thing. I just tried to log back in and my Master EA ID is the same just all lower case letter... but (and it's a big one) he also somehow wiped my stats. I've been reset to a one striper and I still have the same Master EA ID (just all lower case now). SWEET!

I'm hoping he comes back on the phone sometime today... going on an hours and twenty minutes of hold time now. Glad I have a shit load of roll over minutes saved up.

37. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 11:21 waveman

I know they cant detect all cheaters, and some might be just really good gamers.
But why can`t they manage to kick and ban players who can shoot everybody in the second they are spawning right as the match starts.

Anybody of you had that yet? Match is starting and even before you can reach a vehicle you are shot by a supporter from the enemy home base!

This happened the last day of the beta and still happens now! How it works that these cheaters can continue, and are not banned within 1 day? Am i the only one with that expierience?

I dont mind to loose a round or get busted 20 times by a perfect squad, thats just gaming, but i hate winning or loosing a round just because of a dumb a......and not because of luck, skill or just fun!

And i get killed since bf1942 so i ve seen some fair rounds already

36. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 11:11 Verno

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 10:43:
So it being their server either with admin rights could enter the console type in the change and it would appear they are warping do to the fact my end is not updating properly any longer?

What about admin control of spawn locations? Is that possible?

Not possible with current plugins but in theory it's possible. I haven't seen any hack that does it so far. I'm betting what you're seeing is just overloaded servers or players with bad connections though. BF3 is way too tolerant of high ping players, it's very frustrating at times and it leads to a lot of dying behind cover or the guy you who just shot warps 50 feet and kills you somehow type crap. With network smoothing up all the way a lot of is hidden but if you turn it down you can really see how much of a difference the client side prediction makes.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

35. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 11:08 MajorD

Well it is about F'ing time!!! These F'ing cheaters have been hacking/playing BF3 for quite some time now and ruining the game for all us honest players. One in particular is the BF3 RAGE hack. Some dumb ass by the name of 'BF3W' was bold enough, or stupid enough, to post his hacking video on 'You Tube'. Just type in "BF3 RAGE Hack" it it is one of the first few hits.

I don't know why DICE/EA are so late coming to the table to address this. If you go to BF3Stats.com and type in BF3W, his stats are off the charts from hacking: KDR = 10.58+, etc.

34. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 11:03 CommunistHamster

Beamer wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 09:56:
CommunistHamster wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 04:28:
Just take away the pavlovian stat system and there'll be much less of an incentive to cheat.

Yeah, because people never cheated in games without stats. I don't remember a single cheater in CS or Quake or...

Wait, no, none of that is true.
I didn't say it would stop cheating, but a good score in this game has implications beyond the current match and this gives an incentive to cheat (to unlock weapons for later, when you may feel like playing fair but with all the items), and fixing that would eliminate one of the incentives to cheating, as well as making the game fairer overall.

33. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:57 Panickd

About damn time they do something. Bad enough to have to deal with all the buggy bullshit in this game without having to deal with hacking asshats.

There was a jerkoff using an insta-kill hack on a server I was on last night killing everyone on the opposing team. When they all rage quit (naturally) he switched teams and began killing off everyone on the other team. I was "knifed" while driving a tank while this guy was across the map! Awesome! He ended the game with 177 kills for all of 2 deaths. Didn't hear a peep from Punkbuster while this was going on either. And of course now that people have learned they can change their names in Origin you can't call them out anymore.

32. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:51 Optional nickname

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 05:14:
What? I tell you how to stop a tank driver, TEAMPLAY

A concept thankfully entirely lost on most players, thankfully for me.. and i do enjoy my 30 - 2 scores every now and then in a tank

Also a good tank driver does not wait on anyone walking in his killzone, a good tank driver is a stealthed kill-zone that moves around fast and unpredictable often in between buildings and outside the trodden path.

how does one counter a 'cheating team' ? I don't play EA games.

31. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:44 Omni

I was on a server last night and 5-7 players got caught using multi-hack thingy according to PB but PB didn't detect anything from the random guy with 300-1 k/d on that server.

I just don't hope EA bans legit players do to abusive reporting course we all know the support EA have isn't the best.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo