Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up

The Battlefield Blog has word that DICE is turning up the heat on Battlefield 3 cheaters. They say they have handed out a bunch of bans, and are implementing new methods for reporting cheating: :

We have always taken cheating seriously. Starting today, we will further intensify our efforts to hunt down and rid Battlefield 3 of cheaters. Stats wiping and banning this disruptive minority is the only way they will understand that they are ruining the game for others. We do this for the millions of dedicated players out there who deserve a fair game, every game.

If you believe you have been the victim of outright cheating, the best way to report your concerns is to go to Battlelog, enter the profile page of the person you suspect and click the triangle in the top right corner of his name.

This will open up a window where you can describe to us at DICE what happened. Please enter as much detail as possible, describing what specifically makes you believe this player has used unfair methods, and preferably include a link to the Battle Report for the match in question.

These reports are then received by our analysts here at DICE who will do a deeper analysis of the situation and take appropriate action, including stats wiping and/or banning players who are confirmed as cheating.

Reducing the number of cheaters is an ongoing endeavor, and one that we will never stop. Thanks for your co-operation, and see you on the battlefield!

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

30. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:43 Paranoid Jack

Verno wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 10:25:
Is there a teleport hack that allows hackers to teleport about the map? I've seen guys on my team and the other vanish before my eyes. Sometimes while I'm shooting at them.

I haven't seen one so far on the public and private hack sites I monitor to help police my server. That being said the game has incredibly funky netcode that is hidden behind a nearly 100ms layer of client prediction. If you go to your gameplay options and turn down Network Smoothing you'll see what I mean, it's like playing a whole different game - one filled with people warping around, a jet being in one place then magically appearing across the map and so on. Sometimes when the server is shitting itself you'll see that sort of thing crop up and unfortunately many server hosts just use VPS slices to host people on overloaded hardware.

So it being their server either with admin rights could enter the console type in the change and it would appear they are warping do to the fact my end is not updating properly any longer?

What about admin control of spawn locations? Is that possible?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:25 Verno

Is there a teleport hack that allows hackers to teleport about the map? I've seen guys on my team and the other vanish before my eyes. Sometimes while I'm shooting at them.

I haven't seen one so far on the public and private hack sites I monitor to help police my server. That being said the game has incredibly funky netcode that is hidden behind a nearly 100ms layer of client prediction. If you go to your gameplay options and turn down Network Smoothing you'll see what I mean, it's like playing a whole different game - one filled with people warping around, a jet being in one place then magically appearing across the map and so on. Sometimes when the server is shitting itself you'll see that sort of thing crop up and unfortunately many server hosts just use VPS slices to host people on overloaded hardware.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

28. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:24 Paranoid Jack

Fati wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 10:22:
Krovven wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 01:55:
On my friends list top score per minute is 347, top accuracy is 19%, top K/D is 1.53.

My score per minute is 48, accuracy 8% and K/D is .5

Your friend is cheating.

LMAO!

27. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:22 Fati

Krovven wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 01:55:
On my friends list top score per minute is 347, top accuracy is 19%, top K/D is 1.53.

My score per minute is 48, accuracy 8% and K/D is .5

Your friend is cheating.

26. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 10:08 Paranoid Jack

We all know the cheats won't stop, this won't change anything, and it will always be a part of on-line play. Yeah, I get mad as hell on occasion too. It sucks having some idiot(s) rain on your parade. But it's still fun as hell going on a clan server and owning two or three clan members on the other team playing against two of us or sometimes even just me by myself. I'm not saying I'm badass. Far from it. But I use tactics and have fun playing the game nine times out of ten.

One, thing I hate more than anything, besides developers using PB and thinking it works... I hate those cheaters who only toggle on when you start owning them. They cheat to offset your advantage even when it's you taking on him and his clan-mate. Then after they gain the advantage again they go back to playing normal. So sad. You end up with a better score but you lose out on the extra ribbons and points for the loss.

edit: Forgot to ask this earlier. For those who have researched this already. Is there a teleport hack that allows hackers to teleport about the map? I've seen guys on my team and the other vanish before my eyes. Sometimes while I'm shooting at them.

Plus one of those games where I was turning the tide with the tickets against two clan members. I changed tactics and drove past their ambush area to the next flag. They both popped up behind my vehicle and shot rockets at me blowing up my vehicle instantly. I had just scanned that sector seconds before so I know they were not there in plain view on the road.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2012, 10:23.

25. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 09:56 Beamer

CommunistHamster wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 04:28:
Just take away the pavlovian stat system and there'll be much less of an incentive to cheat.

Yeah, because people never cheated in games without stats. I don't remember a single cheater in CS or Quake or...

Wait, no, none of that is true.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 09:37 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 07:07:
BULLSHIT.

GO look at the stats.
Avg headshot should be less than 25%.

One could easily run algorithms that make sense and find the cheaters.

Regardless you should never ban by scanning metrics alone because the reporting itself isn't always accurate. They still haven't even managed to get attachment reports on kills totally accurate, they're wrong more often than not. Half of my canister shot kills in the MBT are called headshots because one pellet hits the head.

I realize it's obnoxious that some guy is 2000-2 without a ban but that's a failure on several fronts by EA, it won't be solved by just banning those people either. They need to actually address the underlying problem or those people will get another cheap foreign key and do it all over again. Banning them might make you feel better but that doof will just be back in an hour with a different name, ranking up like lightning. As people predicted Punkbuster is a total failure yet again, the only cheats I ever see it ban on my server are the ones on public hack sites.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

23. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 08:53 Sphinx

First real exposure to a clear and obvious cheat occurred a few nights ago. Someone shot and killed me with their gun while I was in a tank. Then he shot my friend who was driving an APC.  
-Sphinx

22. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 07:07 xXBatmanXx

jack shiznit wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 00:08:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 21:29:
Step 1: Go to stats system and look at top 20% of the players. Run a quick algorithm on score vs time. Ban.
Step 2: Sort players by % of headshots. Ban.

Yeah...

Some people are actually good at games ya know.

BULLSHIT.

GO look at the stats.
Avg headshot should be less than 25%.

One could easily run algorithms that make sense and find the cheaters.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 05:14 eRe4s3r

What? I tell you how to stop a tank driver, TEAMPLAY

A concept thankfully entirely lost on most players, thankfully for me.. and i do enjoy my 30 - 2 scores every now and then in a tank

Also a good tank driver does not wait on anyone walking in his killzone, a good tank driver is a stealthed kill-zone that moves around fast and unpredictable often in between buildings and outside the trodden path.

20. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 04:28 CommunistHamster

Just take away the pavlovian stat system and there'll be much less of an incentive to cheat.  

19. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 04:26 jacobvandy

Yeah... I consider myself a pretty good player, but with 49 hours played averaging about 500 score/min, I'm still only rank 42. It's REALLY obvious just looking at stats when a guy does nothing but hack it up. There would be more subtle cheaters of course, who might only do it in a match here or there, but that's where the battle reports come in.  

18. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 04:24 Moog

I had bookmarked the battelog of the first insta-head-shot-through-inifinite-walls cheater I encountered and would check his log every few days to see if he had been banned.

In the past 3 weeks, he was actively cheating every day, with kills of 200/300/400+ but, today, he appears to have been wiped...
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/D0ZER73

I can only hope it's a total ban, as he ruined hundreds of games in the time he cheated!

I'm very glad to see DICE step up but it took them far too long to do so!

17. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 02:52 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 02:39:
Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 01:06:
I was once an admin on a CS server. One could easily spot the obvious cheaters (wall hacking, aim botting), and sometimes fun was had with them. Besides the admin slapping and teleporting, before valve stopped remote commands, one could rebind all their keys to things like KILL in console, or reverse all the controls.

Ugh, fuck you. That was my unfortunate first few years of CS in a nut shell. Constant horrendous admin abuse and sometimes bans for "cheating" or simply as some kind of fucked up handicap. The server owners would give out admin rights for minor things but usually withhold ban privileges.
Sorry to hear that. I was NOT one of those abusive admins, and neither were most of the ones on our clan server. I only ever did anything to obvious cheaters who deserved it (such as constant and instant snapping to head targets plus getting 100% of headshots plus most of them headshot kills through walls, etc), never to anyone I had doubts on (like the really good players I mentioned). If someone was just being a jerk, I'd usually give them multiple chances before kicking, and only banned as a last resort. In fact, most of the time I just ignored the jerks unless they were disruptive to the game such as griefing (such as voting FF on and then repeated teamkilling at start of round). I'm generally too much of a nice guy to go straight to banning or even do much banning at all. As well, sometimes the admin's young son would play, so most of the admins were nice people who maintained a friendly play atmosphere. The only people who got admin also got all normal privileges such as ban.

When I found a stupid CS server like that with abusive admins who were on powertrips, I'd just move onto another one. I only ever added good and fun CS servers to my favorites and generally stuck with playing on those. In fact, the reason I became admin in the first place was because I stumbled across their server, and loved the atmosphere (it also didn't hurt that they had a decent map rotation and low ping) so much I played tons of games and hours there.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2012, 03:03.

16. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 02:39 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 01:06:
I was once an admin on a CS server. One could easily spot the obvious cheaters (wall hacking, aim botting), and sometimes fun was had with them. Besides the admin slapping and teleporting, before valve stopped remote commands, one could rebind all their keys to things like KILL in console, or reverse all the controls.

Ugh, fuck you. That was my unfortunate first few years of CS in a nut shell. Constant horrendous admin abuse and sometimes bans for "cheating" or simply as some kind of fucked up handicap. The server owners would give out admin rights for minor things but usually withhold ban privileges.

There was one or two guys who were so crazy good, I was half suspecting they cheated. . Well one time we got together in Sacramento at for a LAN party. I watched them at the LAN, they played just as crazy good and were NOT cheating.

Had this happen when I met up with my admins at LAN as well.

Good ol' Detroit Counter-Strike. Then some of the admins and the server owner showed up at the big local lan http://www.mpcon.org and after winning a tournament had to run over and see our machines.

15. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 01:55 Krovven

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 22:25:

You can't just sit there blindly going "Ok, these are our top players and no one can be very good at our game so they MUST be cheating".

That's not what he said now is it? It doesn't take a genius to figure out which of the "top" players are cheating.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/s4nahmv89cx3y2pr/stats/390277361/

I don't know if people not logged into Battlelog can see this or not. But the guy only has 9h 45m played. He has 95% accuracy, 10,900 kills only 125 deaths, 5.7 million multiplayer score with 9,841 score per minute, over 10,000 kills.

Or this guy http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/xbadkiller100x/stats/356836357/

With almost 25,000 kills and only 112 deaths.

No these guys aren't cheating...not at all.

14. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 01:06 Dev

There was one or two guys who were so crazy good, I was half suspecting they cheated. . Well one time we got together in Sacramento at for a LAN party. I watched them at the LAN, they played just as crazy good and were NOT cheating.

BTW, last I heard, BF2 had been infested with cheaters for many years and nothing was done. It took years for them to get around to releasing that last patch as I recall.

13. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 00:25 venomhed

I play fine without cheats.

What bothers me is that when you play against a known cheater, and they are maybe level 20-25-30 and then go to their profile 2 or 3 days later and they are level 65, well, I don't care how fucking good you are or if your machine is a nuclear reactor with six GTX 580's and you're unemployed, the scores are impossible.

So again, STFU.

12. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 00:23 Veterator

The people who are really good at games tend to get so by going up against people who are also really good at the game most of the time they play. Their scores should not be outlandish against these people (and therefore their overalls shouldn't be crazy high), and if they are found to be spending lots of time in random "pub" servers I believe their "Im just good" explanation less.

This is especially true for those people who spend a lot of time on foot, vehicles have been more about finding a sweet spot or hard to beat grounds and demolishing people there. Even so, outlandish scores in vehicles are evident......since you'd have to be nuts to continue to walk into this guy's "believable" kill zone. So he's either using something to get outrageous kills or he's just utterly ruining the game experience of a lot of other people.

Which, cheating or not, if you got a guy whose ruining the game experience for 100+ other people...he may not deserve a ban from game but it would be nice if whatever he is doing to grief is stopped. Whether it be an exploit or him having 2-3 friends prop him up.

11. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 00:21 Matshock

Nate wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 21:36:
What's described in the blog does very little to address the scope of the problem.

I don't even bother trying public clan servers anymore- they're points mills and any non-clan players are the meat.

It isn't even the aimbots- there are multiple instant spot/view hacks in play right now.

BF may have finally fallen victim to it's own popularity.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo