Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Layoffs at id Software

A tweet noted on NeoGAF says that layoffs have hit id Software: "Some layoffs at idSoftware today, perhaps more to come later." Joystiq has a statement from id parent Zenimax Media saying they are "still recruiting and hiring qualified developers" for id Software, and that "development work on future id titles continues unabated," while offering this confirmation of cuts at the formerly indie developer:

As part of its standard business practice, id regularly evaluates staffing to ensure it has a workforce that meets the needs of the studio. As part of that process, some id employees were recently let go.

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

28. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:45 Wash Washburne

Hoop wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 23:39:
MuzixMon wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 21:12:
After Rage and the abomination that it turned out to be I lost much respect for id. The shoddy PC port for the once mighty PC developer was a insult to their core audience and the damage they did their reputation is devastating.

This Wordlife

They pissed all over the PC world and when ppl were in-Raged about getting shafted, Id responded: "We're awesome and you're NOT so better like it because we are awesome!" All I got for Id is a big fuck you!
I'll not spend a single penny on your games, there are other devs that deserve my moneys!

Serves you right, just too bad that the ppl who actually are responsible for the shitty decisions are probably still in the office while the guys that slave on the floor are job-less...

On another note Id's & Bethesda customer service also needs to be lined up against the wall and shot publicly as a warning for other companies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:37 Erebus

Whatever they've become, I'll never forget the twitch, speed, terror and pure fun of playing Doom2 in the early days of real-time pvp. I'm sorry that the once-mighty ID is now reduced to having nostalgic posts like this one written about them. It's been a long, slow, ugly decline.  

26. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:35 Cutter

Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 23:20:
Why do these company layoff press releases have to come across so callous and impersonal? They sound like they are talking about emptying the cafeteria garbage bins. These are actual, real live people who are losing their jobs in a bad economy. Would it kill them to at least pretend they care?

The most insulting shit is that they're still hiring! Sounds like management needed a scapegoat for Rage and they're it. id, just one more company that used to be cool now existing in name only. Sadder still is that Carmack doesn't even give a fuck. The guy should get out of gaming and move on to something else.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:27 MrBone

I still play Quake 3. Why? The speed. The intimate in your face levels. This was lost in everything they have produced since.  

24. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:17 Doombringer

Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 23:20:
Why do these company layoff press releases have to come across so callous and impersonal? They sound like they are talking about emptying the cafeteria garbage bins. These are actual, real live people who are losing their jobs in a bad economy. Would it kill them to at least pretend they care?

Because companies seldom care. If you happen to find a company nowadays who truly values their employees... well, hold onto that one. They're rare. Most will not care if you've worked 5, 10 or 20 years... in fact, the longer you're on the payroll, the bigger a target you become. All those raises you've accrued over the years? They're a bullseye. When HR can get a zit-faced kid to do your work for $10+ less an hour, they'll dump you and get him. Occasionally, they'll even make you train your replacement.

You're doubly boned if you work in an employment-at-will state. This effectively allows the company to fire you for any reason, at any time, without warning -- if you think you've been mistreated, then the only thing you can do is litigate.

23. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 11, 2012, 00:16 Wildone

they dont care, and working in games sucks ass generally  

22. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:45 Jerykk

*yawns*, thanks for helping me emphasize my point

But it is a matter of opinion as well...

...seriously? While I agree that it's ultimately subjective, what do you find so appealing about RAGE's art style? There's nothing particularly unique about it. Plenty of games have pseudorealistic art styles. Hell, the only difference between Fallout 3 and RAGE's presentations is that RAGE has better models and animations.

21. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:39 Hoop

MuzixMon wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 21:12:
After Rage and the abomination that it turned out to be I lost much respect for id. The shoddy PC port for the once mighty PC developer was a insult to their core audience and the damage they did their reputation is devastating.

This Wordlife

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:27 netnerd85

Jerykk wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 23:25:
Not as detailed as it should have been but the art style is better than anything else in 2011

DX:HR, Bastion, Trine 2 and numerous other games say otherwise.
*yawns*, thanks for helping me emphasize my point

But it is a matter of opinion as well...

19. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:25 Jerykk

Not as detailed as it should have been but the art style is better than anything else in 2011

DX:HR, Bastion, Trine 2 and numerous other games say otherwise.

I wish they were punished for it but I really doubt it, I'm sure the game sold far better on consoles than on PC.

I don't think it sold particularly well on any platform. It has a price drop pretty quickly and went on sale numerous times for less than $20. id also just had a bunch of layoffs.

18. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:24 netnerd85

LOL @ the haters. Rage is an awesome game. Looks brilliant. ID (thats how "they" type it now...) did a great job.

Terrible launch to the game, no doubt. Not as detailed as it should have been but the art style is better than anything else in 2011

Rage also has the most amazing music/atmosphere since Hidden & Dangerous.

17. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:23 wtf_man

In defense of Carmack...

He doesn't design games.
He doesn't even program the games.
He doesn't program the AI (That I know of).
He writes only the graphics tech portion of the "engine". Period.

That said...

He definitely screwed the pooch on this last "Tech Endeavor".
The Texture BS really bit him on the ass.
Ever since he switched from promoting OpenGL, to promoting DirectX, his work has been questionable.

/shrug

16. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:20 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

15. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 22:49 [VG]Reagle

deqer wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 22:12:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 22:04:
You dont need talent to make a monster jump out of a closet and shoot it. CARMACK SUCKS ASS
You need a solid--yet lightweight--engine that lasts forever, and is completely customizable. To this day, people are still playing the tech 1 engine. www.nquake.com, www.ezquake.com. You know why? because the engine is solid. CARMACK RULES!

Hey I did not say that their original tech was not great. Its that they abandoned the original players to make garbage sequels. And now Carmack runs his mouth for decades about technology but does not have the nut sack to make a decent GAME. All ID does is make stupid games without investing in the game and without embracing multiplayer in a meaningful way.

Carmack needs to stick that rocket up his butt and light it.

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

14. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 22:42 Enahs

I know this is going to be a big story and people are going to make a big deal out of it. And I am not saying that id is doing great.

But, they are not ~12 people, nor have they been for a long time. If you look at their employment history, they routinely change out dozens or so people after projects.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 22:38 space captain

Overon wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 22:24:
Yeah id totally fucked over the pc players. And I really don't think they care. I wish they were punished for it but I really doubt it, I'm sure the game sold far better on consoles than on PC.

you like being punished dont you

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 22:24 Overon

Yeah id totally fucked over the pc players. And I really don't think they care. I wish they were punished for it but I really doubt it, I'm sure the game sold far better on consoles than on PC.  

11. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 22:20 DangerDog

Since they're not about making multiplayer games anymore they should just license engine tech like CryEngine 3 or Unreal Engine and churn out Doom games.

10. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 22:12 deqer

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 22:04:
You dont need talent to make a monster jump out of a closet and shoot it. CARMACK SUCKS ASS
You need a solid--yet lightweight--engine that lasts forever, and is completely customizable. To this day, people are still playing the tech 1 engine. www.nquake.com, www.ezquake.com. You know why? because the engine is solid. CARMACK RULES!

9. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 22:04 [VG]Reagle

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo